Thoughts on Adopting a Special Needs Bully

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Just wanted to get thoughts and opinions on this...pretty sure I am going for it but I value the opinions of my fellow EBN'ers :)

I posted a thread under the "Bulldog Rescue Effort" section about a bunch of bullies that all went to a Topeka, KS shelter all at once. I look at petfinder and like to pass the word along if there is a particularly needy dog (which there always is!!!) in hopes that they will find their perfect person to adopt them.
Well...Gertie was one of those bullies. She is 9 years old and I can't resist an old bully. :heart: I watched days pass and her ad was still there and still there so I emailed them. They told me I could send in an application to see if we would be approved as a potential adopter. No one else had applied :(
We were approved so I emailed them to ask more about her. She and the others apparently came from someone who was hoarding bulldogs and they were living in unsanitary conditions. Needless to say she isn't housetrained because of that. They told me she has seizures but it seems to be just her head not the whole body kind (I know some of you have experience with the head tremors). They said she seems to do alright with other dogs. I would assume that is because she was being kept in an animal hoarding situation and was probably always around those other bullies.

So....am I getting in over my head? I can deal with the housetraining thing. I don't have experience with the head tremors but am willing to learn. We need to bring the girls and the other bullies there to see how she does with them. I understand that it won't be a true assessment because shelter living can be very stressful on a dog.

What do you guys think? Thanks! :)

Here is the shelter's photo of her
utf-8BOTAxNjY2MTQuanBn.jpg

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I think she is beautiful and I think you're an absolute angel for considering it. I think your head is in the right place and I think you've considered all of the angles.

If you think you can handle it then I think you should do it!

gunnyboy

Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2012
Bradford Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and LuLu
If you dont you will second guess yourself and you will always think, What if!! do it,nothing better than an older bully.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
If you have the time and resource as well as the love to give.... go get her and give her the best life a senior bully deserves.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I say she is a lucky girl that you found her and bless you for wanting to make the last years of her life full of love and care. She is a beauty and deserves a loving home.

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
Just listen to your heart...you'll know the right thing for you and for her....

OP
MamaAndi

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
She needs to be spayed and microchipped before she can be released from the shelter (and has to have a checkup and a health certificate from the vet as we are adopting out of state and taking her across state lines). Waiting to hear from them on Monday as to what the time frame will be. :)

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Wow to spay at nine years old seems more of a danger than a service. That would make me nervous as all get out.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
You are wonderful for doing this for her! She will have the best years of her life with you :heart: Cant wait to see her home with you and happy! Bless you for doing this :)

OP
MamaAndi

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Wow to spay at nine years old seems more of a danger than a service. That would make me nervous as all get out.

I totally agree. It's shelter policy though. I'll bring it up with them again that it's risky since she's old and an english bulldog. I know they spay to reduce unwanted litters but we are all fixed around here and at 9 years old, I wouldn't think it would even be possible?

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
[MENTION=3756]MamaAndi[/MENTION] we have spayed many that old through IEBR.

You know my thoughts on Special Needs bullies. I think you have to listen to your heart and have lots of patience. I have housetrained a 6 yr old before. Its just takes awhile.

Please keep us updated and bless you for wanting to do this.

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
What an angel you will be to her! Good luck and keep us posted! Does she have a name yet?

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
If not you? then who? I love the name Gertie. I wouldn't want to spay either at this stage of life. All you can do is invite them to your home and show them the spay/ neuter certificates of your pack. God Bless

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh how wonderful for you. i love it and i say do it if you have the patience and time for the bully. i think it looks a bit rough but wonderful. bless you my dear for doing this for a bully in need. spay at 9 years old. hm i wouldnt like it either.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I doubt they will break their policy. I even know of recues that require all dogs in the house to be fixed, even if the recue dog is. I agree it is risky at her age, they really should make exceptions on dogs who are beyond their average lifespan already, it would put unwanted stress on her and lower her immune system. I must say for 9 years old she looks to be very healthy judging strictly from the picture.

Anyway, about your question. You already answered it, go for it! I think it is so wonderful for you to do this. It was just a matter of time before you did find that special one while you were scoping out all those sites.... and you finally did!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online