Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
It has been 15 days now since Ftse had his Cherry eye op, everything was looking good and then he kept having a little bit of a bulge in the corner of his eye. we made the appointment to take him to the vets and within half an hour it had disappeared so I began to wonder was it there or is it me just imagining the worst a few days went by no bulge and today 15 days after, the bulge is there and this time it has not gone away. So Monday we will be back off again to the vets. I am so dissapointed the vet told me there is only 85% chance of all being well and just 15% of it coming back between 7 - 10 days after the op. Well when day 10 came I was so relieved that it had not popped back and now this.
Has anyone else had this happen? if so does it goes away or is it the Cherry eye again because it is not as big as the bulge was before the op.
br 144.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sorry this is happening, I have not had the issue with my bullies, but I do know it can come back and your only option might be to have the gland removed instead of tucked.

Keep us posted and good luck

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Well Miila had her eye done and it looked perfect and about 1 or 2 weeks after I also saw a bulge in the corner. Nothing like the full cherry eye was. I figured the procedure wouldnt hold on her and knew there was a chance it might not. Went away and even the non cherry eye had a little bulge at one time so I thought Oh great, fix one and the other goes. That went away and never came back so I think it was maybe just swelling or something. There was one night I went to bed and Miila came and sat next to me looking so sad, the original cherry eye looked like it was back. Never saw anything after this ever and this was months ago. Now it sounds like Ftse's might be more frequent so it could be that it isnt taking. Hopefully not cuz I am sure the thought of another surgery makes you anxious like it would me.

reallyrob

Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2010
Southern Illinois/Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
It can also be allergies...Both my dogs at times look like their eye has the cherry eye bulge again, and it goes away on it's own. Usually when they are out in the grass for a bit when the mold and pollen count is up. You will eventually get used to what's going on and a little thing like this won't bother you. I don't worry about anything with Bertie, until I am sure that something is wrong.

Darasue

Feb 7, 2012
Memphis, TN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Puckingham
Puck had to get the surgery again after 8 days. He had a large cherry eye to begin with, itwas very irritated and swollen. Itstarted to pop out again around 6-7 days after the surgery because his stitchesfailed.
It has been two weeks after the second surgery now and thevet said that he needs to get thru a full month before he is completely in theclear. We have to keep him calm and trynot to let him run around and jump a bunch. They actually gave us a sedative to help keep him calm. Also – do not use a collar to connect theleash when you go outside, use a harness. The stress on the neck/ head area makes their eyes bulge out alittle.
They only put in a few stitches for his first surgery. For the second surgery, they were more aggressivewith the stitching. Our vet didn'tcharge us anything for the second surgery, just his anesthesia and medicines,so we were lucky with that.
I am really hoping his surgery holds. I am not sure what triggered it in the firstplace, but think it was pollen. We werein the middle of the worst spring time pollen here when he got it.
I hope you do not have to get the surgery again, but it isbest to do it now if the sutures did not hold.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
When Stig had the surgery almost a couple of years ago it took a while for the swelling to go down. We went back to the vets after a couple of weeks with no change and that's when she said that it was ok to try to massage it back in. It worked and it still hasn't popped back out to this day.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Take a pic so the vet can see it if it goes away again before you go in to see him.

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Now I am wondering is that what Otis had on Saturday - he had a white buldge in his left eye - it looked like he had gotten poked with something - I ran him upstairs crying to my husband that something was woring with Otis and my husband lifted up his eyelid and the buldge was gone. Now I'm worried.....

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Now I am wondering is that what Otis had on Saturday - he had a white buldge in his left eye - it looked like he had gotten poked with something - I ran him upstairs crying to my husband that something was woring with Otis and my husband lifted up his eyelid and the buldge was gone. Now I'm worried.....

No need to worry. Cherry eye is very common in bullies. It's not something that we wish for, but it's treatable. Have you googled it and compare if it's similar to what Otis had? Sometimes it goes away on its own, other times surgery is the only way to correct it.

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
I did google it - from what I've seen they are all red but his was pure white and did go back in so now I'm praying:pray: it will stay in.

Thank you for the response, appreciate it!

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
Saying a prayer for Otis and all my cherry eyed bullies :heart:

OP
Ftse 100

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Ftse has still beeen having the bulge but as I said before it goes back in after a while it is not red just the usual pink maybe it is pollen as we have all our winter plants blooming at the moment and it has been quite windy, next time it pops up i will put Ftse in the car and take him to the vet but it usually always comes at the wrong time like Sunday or just when I am walking out the door to work. But whatever it is, it is not bothering Ftse at all as you can see in this photo it looks pretty normal it is the right eye.
I know i'm not allowed on here.jpg

rschneider

Jan 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Eli
Hope all goes well , my english bulldog " Buddy " has has one surgery in his left eye and all went ( i hope ) well and then 2 weeks later he got cherry eye on his right eye and had surgery on that one too , guess what 16 days later it pop out again and it has been now 10 days since his second surgery to his right eye ... 3 surgerys in 1 month and i am scared to death it will happen again . it has been a very emotionally drained month for me and him ( he is 8 months tomorrow )
does any one know if this is common? it seems like all i do is worry and look at his eyes :-(

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Hope all goes well , my english bulldog " Buddy " has has one surgery in his left eye and all went ( i hope ) well and then 2 weeks later he got cherry eye on his right eye and had surgery on that one too , guess what 16 days later it pop out again and it has been now 10 days since his second surgery to his right eye ... 3 surgerys in 1 month and i am scared to death it will happen again . it has been a very emotionally drained month for me and him ( he is 8 months tomorrow )
does any one know if this is common? it seems like all i do is worry and look at his eyes :-(

Thats a lot of surgeries at one time for a pup! usually the vets will wait on surgery to see if the other pops within a week or so before doing surgery! Since you have had 3 already I would hold off on anything else for a little while! Has Buddy been netuered yet? Bullies dont handle surgery well and if the cherry eye does return try to massage it back in first before opting for any surgeries.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.