cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Tate hasn't been his usual rambunctious self for the last couple days. Last night when i got home from work and opened the garage door, out came Finn running excitedly, and lagging behind him was big brother Tate, walking slowly and cautiously.

I got worried b/c this is so unlike Tate. Eventually, after much monitoring, and rubbing his hind leg which i thought was bothering him, I noticed a callus on the paw pad. It looked like a corn that us humans can get on our feet. Has anyone had experience w/this? for some reason, I thought calluses were somewhat normal for dog's paws and actually help toughen up their paws while walking. I'm probably wrong on that.

I have an appt. w/the vet on Sat for his checkup but wondered what i can do in the meantime other than try to keep him calm and not walking so much.

i hate it when my boys are not feeling well or are sick. Makes me worried and sad:nope:

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Could he have maybe stepped on something and it scabbed over?

I'd soak it in warm water with either Epsom salts or cider vinegar. If it's a callous it will soften it and if it's something else it might soak off.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I agree.... epsom salt soaks

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
thanks all! Tomorrow I buy some Epsom salts. Tonight's our first night at our new house. I will post pics this wknd when I get my Internet connection on.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
thanks all! Tomorrow I buy some Epsom salts. Tonight's our first night at our new house. I will post pics this wknd when I get my Internet connection on.

CONGRATS!!!!! Can't wait to see the pics!

I use the ol' epsom salt soak for anything paw related. I don't know if it genuinely helps the dogs, but it helps me feel better. :heart:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
:hiya: Henny. Is it like a corn of the actual callus that's growing out. Wilson has a hard spot on on this pads that's a hard callus. I'm working with it now and had to clip a piece off the other night.

Hope you're getting settled in your new home!! :hug:

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Just an update on Tate; it turned out he has a fractured paw :(
He saw the vet yesterday and she took x-rays. She said it's a very unusual place for a fracture and said it's something that should heal on its own, like 4-6 weeks. I sure hope she is right. She also said i could get a surgical consult if i wanted to but i will wait on that. Tate's paw is all bandaged up; the vet said the bone that was fractured is not that much of a weight bearing joint, so that's a good thing. He can walk around, but i'm trying to make him slow down as much as possible. We'll get his bandage changed every few days, and he's on pain meds.
Here he is w/the donut which is to prevent him from licking his bandage but the little devil manages to pull it off, and he can still reach his paw even with it on! talk about flexible!!

IMG_1535.jpg

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
You give my Tate a smooshy kiss again for me. :luv:. Poor guy! I'm impressed he can get the cone off though. Where exactly did he fracture it, which joint? Is it like the toe area?

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I will give him more smoochies from you, Jeannie :luv:

The fracture is between two of his toes, can't recall which ones exactly tho. He kept licking in between the digits where it fractured and it was visibly quite red and swollen by the time i took him in yesterday. Our bullys are so tough tho. He didn't even wimper when the vet and techs were poking and prodding on the area. He's taking a well-deserved nap right now.

IMG_1544.jpg

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Ahhh feel better Tate and I too love that window seat!

I will need to get my husband on that, building one for us:excited:

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Poor Tate! I hope that he feels better soon! Even though I feel bad when they have to wear their donuts, I can't help loving that first picture - Tate is so cute!

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
awww poor baby - hope he has a speedy recovery! Can't wait to see pics of the new house...I can already see some great pics of the boys on that window seat! Don't worry too much he just needs some TLC! Hugs to you and the boys! Congrats on the new house!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.