Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Two week training? Opinions please..

Bulldog(s) Names
    Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
    Likes (Received)

Default Two week training? Opinions please..

Ok, My boy Aldo has continued to lunge at people when he is over excited; he is not safe around my kids, and lately not for adults either, it seems he could reach the ceiling if he wanted to! Katara has been very good with the kids if she is by herself, they have actually played dress up together Aldo is in his crate locked up while Kat and the girls play and mommy watches them... I feel bad for Aldo, he wants to play and relate to the girls but either the dogs will get into a horrible fight or somehow he overexcites himself and he really is a danger I have tried training classes but he does great in class, and listens when he is in a training setting, it's a problem in the house. I have gotten a set of e-collars for them to give them a small shock when they are fighting, geez, I have the hardest time separating them.. I still have not used it, but I asked the trainer about it, and she told me I could cause more damage than good.. I decided to find another trainer to assist me in finding Aldo's trigger, I came across a lady that lives about 45 min away, but she has a boarding/training/daycare place.. I went today for a free evaluation. I liked her a lot, she reminded me of Caesar Milans techniques, with the blocking and "touch" movements. She said the problems I was having were mostly due to their age, they were challenging each other and Over excitability and my inability to let him cool off before letting him relate to people. She recommended a two week stay for them at her place so she can evaluate them and train all day every day. It is very expensive, really more than I can comfortably afford, BUT an injury from Aldo will definitely be more, so I know I can find a way, and she said she can take payments.. so that's good... What do you think? Do u think it's a good idea? have you ever heard of anything like this? I have seen it on the Dog Whisperer, but usually with the more difficult cases.. Will my dogs be OK? they can't eat any regular food, she told me she would provide their food but I told her I needed them fed their own special food; she said she can do that.. She also authorizes visitation.. I am afraid they will forget me I am also a little afraid they will behave good at the kennel and go back to square one at home and all this money will be lost... I did ask this new trainer about the e-collar, she asked me why would I use it for; and I told her mostly for their fights that are more frequent every day now.. and she said she wasn't closed off to it but we need to see how they act with the training and see how improved they are.. so I think she is much more open to different tools.. What do you guys think about all this? I am really fighting for Aldo, He is a good dog.. I cannot quit on him, but is this going to be good for him? Katara will get to tag along too because of the fighting issue mostly.. This would happen the end of may to mid-June

just tagging people with experience in dog training for their input but please please feel free to comment even if not tagged @2BullyMama @Vicaroo1000 @JAKEISGREAT @desertskybulldogs @Fontanafox @kazzy220 @MamaAndi @Sherry @Alice Kable
    Last edited by acarabias; 05-10-2012 at 03:47 PM.

Eagerly and Nervously awaiting the homecoming of Bruno Cannoli

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Two week training? Opinions please..

I think you should do it. Aldo does need all the help he can get and not for you to give up on him. You should also ask her what you need to do for training for you and the girls because you are right, if you don't change anything at home, he will go right back to his old ways. So it's not just the dogs that need training but the whole family does as well. Aldo and Katara need rehabilitation and you and the family need training!!! There I just channeled my inner Cesar!
    Kim, Lord Sebastian, Sir Oliver, Remy Le Beau, and Gracie Lou <3

Bulldog(s) Names
    Gregory
    Likes (Received)

I personally wouldnt send my dog to a train and stay type center. I have herd of too many nightmares. It sounds like if you are having problems with them in the home, then you should see about a private trainer coming to your house. Possibly a positive reinforcement trainer. I found when I took my dog to a class he did well, but it didnt address other issues we had at home. Also are they both fixed?

Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Thank you @Kim_sebastian_n_oliver, we have changed a lot, they never play alone with the girls, they are not even allowed outside together, they have separate crates not, and an exercise pen for the living room since they can't roam free.. I do a lot of putting them on their back.. I use the water bottle, down, etc, etc.. so believe me I am open to suggestions and am willing to implement them.. It is crazy how much I love Aldo despite everything! I told the trainer I loved them that they were my babies and she scolded me.. lol! she told me they were not my babies, they were my dogs.. that that was part of the problem I guess she has never owned a bulldog!!
    Last edited by acarabias; 05-10-2012 at 03:53 PM.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

@buffalobabie yes, they are both fixed.. that's my fear too, that they would do good at training and then forget because it's a different setting

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I worked in a daycare/training facility for 4 years.... all levels and types of training. This is not a boot camp issue .... you need help in the home and to have someone help you be the 'pack leader' in the home. They are acting out because they do not know who is in charge.

I am going to PM you my cell # and we can chat. I am not available tonight, but will be tomorrow afternoon.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)

You poor thing. I can imagine you are about at your wits end trying to help Aldo through this stuff. I personally think you could send him to the lady for evaluation if you truly feel in your heart that this will help him. If you feel like she can help him then maybe she can but go with your gut feeling on this one.
    A few things I was thinking...
    -Does he have too much pent up energy? Maybe you could hire an experience dogwalker to walk him and play with him to burn off some extra energy. (My kids get naughty when they have too much energy)
    -Do you have any holistic vets in your area? Maybe they could give you some ideas or treatments to relieve his aggitation?
    -Would it help if you made him follow you everywhere on a leash? That way you can monitor him at all times and he won't be in the crate feeling like he's on a time out. Maybe just pretend like he's a puppy and you are starting from square one teaching him how to behave?

I feel for you! Don't give up...for every hopeless feeling there are a milion answers!

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

I totally agree with Christine. While I think the board and train have their place...not when this is a family dog that will need to know how to live safely and peacefully in your home. I have a sister who is a dog trainer..she just recently sold her center and is in the process of moving across the country. I will try and pick her brain for any recommendations. Because she's in transit..it might take me a bit...but you need someone to help YOU first. Then Aldo.

My Bully Gave Me Wings Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Bev
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I have no experience with this so I'm of no help. I just wanted to give you a and to promise you that if you do decide to send them to this training camp, no way no how will they forget you.

I am wondering tho, if you don't know what his trigger is, how can you be sure it's not something in the house? He could go away for 2 weeks, be perfect and come home and get set off.

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

I am not of any help but have you had a trainer or a behaviorist? If it were me and you havent yet tried the behaviorist, that would be my next step I think. My gosh you surely are a better person than most going thru all of this and still fighting to solve it. Hugs to you!!!! I hope you find the answer and are able to fix it.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I agree I would try a behaviorist. Prayers and hugs to you

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruggles and Buster
    Likes (Received)

I am so sorry you are going thru all of this. When you hire a trainer make sure the trainer knows Bulldogs and has worked with Bulldogs before. Also any board and train program should include you. Hugs and good luck being sent your way!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads