Two week training? Opinions please..

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
I've been in your shoes. Poppy was a happy go lucky 50 lb jumper. Bunk was reactive to high energy+noise and would bite (dogs). A year ago we were lost and felt like there was no end.

Eventually I found a dog training class that was right for me. It was 3x a week for 8 weeks. Outdoors. Around other dogs. No treats and no shock collars.
Slowly Poppy jumped less and Bunk reacted less. It truly comes down to exercise discipline affection. I was so amazed that by the end of the course, dogs that had been CRAZY: chihuahuas, pits, labs, boxers, and my bulldogs, were now respectful and obedient.

Until you find the right professional for you, there are some things you can do at home..

Jumping - Practice having friends enter the house and ignore the dog. If he jumps, get them to give a firm NO and ignore him until he calms down. It will take ages and several people before it clicks. Number one rule with jumping is consistency. Make sure NOBODY rewards this behaviour with laughter and pets. It's especially hard with strangers because they go "oooohhh it's okaaaay he's sooooo cute!!" thereby undoing all you worked for, lol. I just say to people "Sorry, he's in training" and don't let them pet him until I know he'll behave. Harsh but must be done.

With the girls, do you think they fuel his excitement at all? I know kids will be kids but it's now a good time to train them on how to interact with an excited dog. Their body language and tone might be misleading him into thinking its play time when really they want him to calm down. They must say No in a low stern voice and ignore them and turn away. He'll know they mean business. It may be a good idea to keep a leash on him dragging on the floor at all times, so you can quickly correct or separate. The most interaction he should have with the girls is on walks. They should always be on walks and represent authority. Same with feeding. Not sure how excited he gets, but if you trust him, let the girls hand feed him with supervision. He must eat slowly and nicely from their hands. He may not be ready now, but it will happen one day. Again it's tying into the respect thing.

Oh I wanted to mention this thing called the thunder shirt. Please look into it. I find it takes the edge of anxious/excited dogs. It works for Bunk. When he wears it he has much higher tolerance for little snappy dogs barking at him, lol. It may not help the jumping, but I think it may help w. the fighting. They seem to fight because the energy gets sooo high that it explodes. The thunder shirt relaxes them.

I don't think I would rehome him just because his age is a big factor in the behaviour. He needs leadership and direction. Moving him into a dog only home would stunt him, while he still can improve. If one day you feel you were 100% consistent, gave him exercise, direction, and still no difference.. Then at least you know you did right by this dog and you would feel right rehoming him.

And no I wouldn't send your dogs to that dog training place. If your problems are at home and with you kids, she should be in your home training them/you.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I'm here. late as usual. I'm going to make my thought's simple. Aldo is high energy right now. Invest in a cheap tread mill. tie his leash to it and turn it on. Walk of course. Do this when ever he wakes up, for 10 -20 minutes, how ever long it takes. stay with him to make sure he's not over doing it. Sounds to me like a tired dog is a good. This may work until he gets over this anxious stage.

[MENTION=3247]acarabias[/MENTION]

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Some great advice given! THIS is what I love about EBN. The education everyone brings to the table is priceless! Hopefully you will get Aldo under control with time and the help you will have to offer will be that much more. :hug:!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I'm here. late as usual. I'm going to make my thought's simple. Aldo is high energy right now. Invest in a cheap tread mill. tie his leash to it and turn it on. Walk of course. Do this when ever he wakes up, for 10 -20 minutes, how ever long it takes. stay with him to make sure he's not over doing it. Sounds to me like a tired dog is a good. This may work until he gets over this anxious stage.

[MENTION=3247]acarabias[/MENTION]

I am loving this.

When Cesar gets a really goofed up dog, the first thing he does is get em on the treadmill. A tired pup is a good pup for sure!

[MENTION=3247]acarabias[/MENTION] - I'm glad you believe that you can help Aldo. I want that for you more than you could possibly know. :heart:

OP
acarabias

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
Look [MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] this is what I'm talking about when I say he does not have a poor quality of life
He used to hate being on his back it's training but he also gets to cuddle with mommy :$

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336952086.135403.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336952086.135403.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Bea and I went to a fancy schmancy puppy class - twice, because it was so fun - with a couple who are well known in the dog world. One of the exercises they had us do - and perfect - was similar to what you're talking about -- without the snuggling. :) I only realized later how important this exercise was be as Bea's little VERY STRONG personality developed. Maybe you can do this with Aldo? (I will try to describe so it makes sense) I still do this with Bea every so often. It's a leadership and trust exercise.

Sit on the floor with pup between your legs. You and the pup are facing the same way.
Pull the pup's back to rest firmly on your chest. Your hands, firmly and very securely holding the pup against you.
HANG ON. Release the pup only when he/she has relaxed completely.

Bea really hated this at first. Now, when I pull her onto my lap like that -- often sitting at this computer -- she immediately gives in and relaxes, often tipping her head back for a big smooch on my chin. :heart: There's a photo here that shows what a relaxed dog will look like when doing this. http://www.puppymanners.com/daves_bio.asp

I want Aldo's success!

OP
acarabias

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you [MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] I will do it like that! I do that exercise in a similar manner but on the bed and when he relaxes I will cuddle with him a bit.. I want Aldo's success more than anything else right now in my life

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Bea and I went to a fancy schmancy puppy class - twice, because it was so fun - with a couple who are well known in the dog world. One of the exercises they had us do - and perfect - was similar to what you're talking about -- without the snuggling. :) I only realized later how important this exercise was be as Bea's little VERY STRONG personality developed. Maybe you can do this with Aldo? (I will try to describe so it makes sense) I still do this with Bea every so often. It's a leadership and trust exercise.

Sit on the floor with pup between your legs. You and the pup are facing the same way.
Pull the pup's back to rest firmly on your chest. Your hands, firmly and very securely holding the pup against you.
HANG ON. Release the pup only when he/she has relaxed completely.

Bea really hated this at first. Now, when I pull her onto my lap like that -- often sitting at this computer -- she immediately gives in and relaxes, often tipping her head back for a big smooch on my chin. :heart: There's a photo here that shows what a relaxed dog will look like when doing this. http://www.puppymanners.com/daves_bio.asp

I want Aldo's success!

This is how I hold young pups for nail trims and after bath snuggles... They trust me so fast doing it, they are totally relaxed for grooming and such as well.

OP
acarabias

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] , I tried this with Aldo today, took him about 10 min to relax, he didn't resist entirely because I had been doing similar exercises, but he still needs time to fully relax.. he is scared and dominant at the same time.. [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] if I ever get another bulldog puppy I know exactly where to go! I think Aldo missed out on socialization as a young pup because since he was a young baby he has always hated being on his back and very scared of new situations..

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] , I tried this with Aldo today, took him about 10 min to relax, he didn't resist entirely because I had been doing similar exercises, but he still needs time to fully relax.. he is scared and dominant at the same time..

Keep at it. There was a woman in my first class with a little terrier mix who said, "I can't do that to Pookie. It's cruel." Well, the instructor told her in no uncertain terms how cruel it was NOT to do it and why it was beneficial to the dog/human relationship on a leadership level. Bea didn't like it either. Not one bit. She wiggled like an earthworm on a hot sidewalk for sure. Now, she loves it. Many dogs will actually ASK for this by pawing or etc.

By the way, Pookie dropped out of the class. He wouldn't stop barking at other dogs and his human caregiver had ZERO control over this wire haired maniac in spite of much one on one time with the instructors. I would guess Pookie never saw mom as a leader...not for a second. ha ha

Doing it correctly is important though. You don't want to injure the dog or yourself.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.