Two week training? Opinions please..

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
Ok, My boy Aldo has continued to lunge at people when he is over excited; he is not safe around my kids, and lately not for adults either, it seems he could reach the ceiling if he wanted to! Katara has been very good with the kids if she is by herself, they have actually played dress up together :heart: Aldo is in his crate locked up while Kat and the girls play and mommy watches them... I feel bad for Aldo, he wants to play and relate to the girls but either the dogs will get into a horrible fight or somehow he overexcites himself and he really is a danger :cry: I have tried training classes but he does great in class, and listens when he is in a training setting, it's a problem in the house. I have gotten a set of e-collars for them to give them a small shock when they are fighting, geez, I have the hardest time separating them.. I still have not used it, but I asked the trainer about it, and she told me I could cause more damage than good.. I decided to find another trainer to assist me in finding Aldo's trigger, I came across a lady that lives about 45 min away, but she has a boarding/training/daycare place.. I went today for a free evaluation. I liked her a lot, she reminded me of Caesar Milans techniques, with the blocking and "touch" movements. She said the problems I was having were mostly due to their age, they were challenging each other and Over excitability and my inability to let him cool off before letting him relate to people. She recommended a two week stay for them at her place so she can evaluate them and train all day every day. It is very expensive, really more than I can comfortably afford, BUT an injury from Aldo will definitely be more, so I know I can find a way, and she said she can take payments.. so that's good... What do you think? Do u think it's a good idea? have you ever heard of anything like this? I have seen it on the Dog Whisperer, but usually with the more difficult cases.. Will my dogs be OK? they can't eat any regular food, she told me she would provide their food but I told her I needed them fed their own special food; she said she can do that.. She also authorizes visitation.. I am afraid they will forget me :cry: I am also a little afraid they will behave good at the kennel and go back to square one at home and all this money will be lost... I did ask this new trainer about the e-collar, she asked me why would I use it for; and I told her mostly for their fights that are more frequent every day now.. and she said she wasn't closed off to it but we need to see how they act with the training and see how improved they are.. so I think she is much more open to different tools.. What do you guys think about all this? I am really fighting for Aldo, He is a good dog.. I cannot quit on him, but is this going to be good for him? Katara will get to tag along too because of the fighting issue mostly.. This would happen the end of may to mid-June :cry:

just tagging people with experience in dog training for their input but please please feel free to comment even if not tagged :) [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] [MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=1760]Fontanafox[/MENTION] [MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] [MENTION=3756]MamaAndi[/MENTION] [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] [MENTION=1612]Alice Kable[/MENTION]

Last edited:

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
I think you should do it. Aldo does need all the help he can get and not for you to give up on him. You should also ask her what you need to do for training for you and the girls because you are right, if you don't change anything at home, he will go right back to his old ways. So it's not just the dogs that need training but the whole family does as well. Aldo and Katara need rehabilitation and you and the family need training!!! There I just channeled my inner Cesar!

buffalobabie

Apr 11, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Bulldog(s) Names
Gregory
I personally wouldnt send my dog to a train and stay type center. I have herd of too many nightmares. It sounds like if you are having problems with them in the home, then you should see about a private trainer coming to your house. Possibly a positive reinforcement trainer. I found when I took my dog to a class he did well, but it didnt address other issues we had at home. Also are they both fixed?

OP
acarabias

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you @Kim_sebastian_n_oliver, we have changed a lot, they never play alone with the girls, they are not even allowed outside together, they have separate crates not, and an exercise pen for the living room since they can't roam free.. I do a lot of putting them on their back.. I use the water bottle, down, etc, etc.. so believe me I am open to suggestions and am willing to implement them.. It is crazy how much I love Aldo despite everything! I told the trainer I loved them that they were my babies and she scolded me.. lol! she told me they were not my babies, they were my dogs.. that that was part of the problem :blink: I guess she has never owned a bulldog!!

Last edited:
OP
acarabias

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2194]buffalobabie[/MENTION] yes, they are both fixed.. that's my fear too, that they would do good at training and then forget because it's a different setting

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I worked in a daycare/training facility for 4 years.... all levels and types of training. This is not a boot camp issue .... you need help in the home and to have someone help you be the 'pack leader' in the home. They are acting out because they do not know who is in charge.

I am going to PM you my cell # and we can chat. I am not available tonight, but will be tomorrow afternoon.

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
You poor thing. I can imagine you are about at your wits end trying to help Aldo through this stuff. I personally think you could send him to the lady for evaluation if you truly feel in your heart that this will help him. If you feel like she can help him then maybe she can but go with your gut feeling on this one.
A few things I was thinking...
-Does he have too much pent up energy? Maybe you could hire an experience dogwalker to walk him and play with him to burn off some extra energy. (My kids get naughty when they have too much energy)
-Do you have any holistic vets in your area? Maybe they could give you some ideas or treatments to relieve his aggitation?
-Would it help if you made him follow you everywhere on a leash? That way you can monitor him at all times and he won't be in the crate feeling like he's on a time out. Maybe just pretend like he's a puppy and you are starting from square one teaching him how to behave?

I feel for you! Don't give up...for every hopeless feeling there are a milion answers! :)

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I totally agree with Christine. While I think the board and train have their place...not when this is a family dog that will need to know how to live safely and peacefully in your home. I have a sister who is a dog trainer..she just recently sold her center and is in the process of moving across the country. I will try and pick her brain for any recommendations. Because she's in transit..it might take me a bit...but you need someone to help YOU first. Then Aldo.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I have no experience with this so I'm of no help. I just wanted to give you a :hug: and to promise you that if you do decide to send them to this training camp, no way no how will they forget you.

I am wondering tho, if you don't know what his trigger is, how can you be sure it's not something in the house? He could go away for 2 weeks, be perfect and come home and get set off.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I am not of any help but have you had a trainer or a behaviorist? If it were me and you havent yet tried the behaviorist, that would be my next step I think. My gosh you surely are a better person than most going thru all of this and still fighting to solve it. Hugs to you!!!! I hope you find the answer and are able to fix it. :(

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
I agree I would try a behaviorist. Prayers and hugs to you

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
I am so sorry you are going thru all of this. When you hire a trainer make sure the trainer knows Bulldogs and has worked with Bulldogs before. Also any board and train program should include you. Hugs and good luck being sent your way!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Have you considered re-homing him to an appropriate home for him? I know. I know. We don't ever want to give up on a dog --- of course not --- but at this point, I think it might be a quality of life issue. For everyone. I'm sure everyone is on edge -- waiting for Aldo to next flip out -- and that's also surely affecting Katrina and absolutely your kids too. It's surely affecting you and you are the mama. There's ripples in that pond. That's a whole lot of anxiety.

There was a Dog Whisperer episode - I tried to find it online no luck - where a couple had two pitts and the one had a profound aggression / fear / something toward children. Cesar took him to the Dog Psychology Center. Even after spending time with Cesar and his pack, it was determined that the dog should be re-homed. The other pitt was a happy go lucky girl that had no issues. But the boy dog would lunge at children. With the woman pregnant with the couple's first baby, Cesar felt it was too risky. This couple wasn't equipped to manage this problem like Cesar could. The dog even lunged at dolls. Cesar personally worked with this dog ONE ON ONE in his own home even --- and the best thing for everyone was a new home for the boy pitt. In fact, they ultimately "traded" their dog for a happy go lucky black lab that needed a home while Cesar rehomed the Pitt to someone who could manage his issues on-going. A busy family -- like yours -- with little kids, a fledgling business etc; it may just be too much for your family. There's no shame in that.

Take a look at the ripples that Aldo's behavior causes in your family. Is it fair to Aldo to be the bad guy all the time? He may be one of those dogs that just needs extremely strong leadership to thrive. God forbid if he lunged out at someone or something and actually hurt them.

I know I'm probably going to get flamed for this post -- well, we don't flame here but folks are NOT going to agree with me, I'm sure --- but we have to look at the QUALITY OF LIFE that exists for everyone --- especially Aldo --- in the current situation. I know I talk alot of "Cesar" myself -- but I don't believe I would be equipped to manage a dog like this either. Aldo's aggression or whatever it is, is truly beyond my skill set. He's a beautiful sweet boy - he's my favorite bully around here --- but eventually, you'll end up with TWO whacky dogs because it's affecting Katara on some level. It has to be. Dogs are a reflection of us....they are our mirrors. Giving Katara the life she deserves is important too.

My heart aches for you. It really does. I cannot imagine the angst you and your family -- and Katara -- must suffer daily because of this situation. Please know that you are in my thoughts.

OP
acarabias

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] thank you for being honest! I really appreciate it, the thought has crossed my mind, I'm not going to lie. but I wish I could explain myself better when I describe Aldo's behavior. I actually did watch that episode you are talking about.. Maybe it is because I love him, but I don't think his lunges are aggressive in the same manner of that dog, he does not show teeth, or growl. He only does it when he is over excited, when he is allowed to run around.. When he is in a controlled environment, with a leash or when he is in my bed resting he could care less about lunging at anybody. I know it might be a fine line between the two behaviors, but I really do think in my heart it will get better with age if I am able to control those explosions with him as he matures, enough times that he will forget the behavior. I would hate to let him go.. I don't even think there are bulldog rescues in my area, though I wouldn't mind driving if that's what it took to find someone that could give him the care he needs.
Also, [MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] Aldo and Katara are pretty happy, despite everything, they have a big backyard for the mornings and evenings; as long as they are alone they do fine, they can't play outside with the kids, but they still slide down the slide and play. when were are around, I place them in the exercise pen and they at least feel like they are around everyone here and also in their crates which they both love; Also, when it's only me in the house I let them roam free, Aldo has never lunged at me, he doesn't get excited with me, so he has never done it.. .. so, it's a lot of moving them around, but they are not unhappy dogs.. I have left Aldo a few times in his crate while I let the girls play with Katara, even though he did whine and looked awful sad, I don't think he has a low quality life.. you know what I mean.. he gets to come to my bed at night, he plays and runs, he has a large slide which he loves outside, he eats good food, tripe, he gets a lot of cuddles from the girls on the bed..
Rehoming him is always going to be a possibility for him, but at this point I feel like there is more I can do for him, there has to be..

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Vicaroo1000 I actually agree with that as being an option, I also respect [MENTION=3247]acarabias[/MENTION] so much for trying to keep peace, as I know how much she loves Aldo. I do also think a behavioralist that comes to your home and sees exactly how you are currently doing things will be better suited for your situation. At the same time you could take Aldo to basic obedience classes, so he can learn his place in the pack. No matter how bad it gets here, my dogs never target my kids, they understand the pecking order and respect them, even the babies. If my kids were ever in danger, I would probably choose to rehome. Only because I would want a better life for my dog.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online