Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Two week training? Opinions please..

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Two week training? Opinions please..

Have you considered re-homing him to an appropriate home for him? I know. I know. We don't ever want to give up on a dog --- of course not --- but at this point, I think it might be a quality of life issue. For everyone. I'm sure everyone is on edge -- waiting for Aldo to next flip out -- and that's also surely affecting Katrina and absolutely your kids too. It's surely affecting you and you are the mama. There's ripples in that pond. That's a whole lot of anxiety.

There was a Dog Whisperer episode - I tried to find it online no luck - where a couple had two pitts and the one had a profound aggression / fear / something toward children. Cesar took him to the Dog Psychology Center. Even after spending time with Cesar and his pack, it was determined that the dog should be re-homed. The other pitt was a happy go lucky girl that had no issues. But the boy dog would lunge at children. With the woman pregnant with the couple's first baby, Cesar felt it was too risky. This couple wasn't equipped to manage this problem like Cesar could. The dog even lunged at dolls. Cesar personally worked with this dog ONE ON ONE in his own home even --- and the best thing for everyone was a new home for the boy pitt. In fact, they ultimately "traded" their dog for a happy go lucky black lab that needed a home while Cesar rehomed the Pitt to someone who could manage his issues on-going. A busy family -- like yours -- with little kids, a fledgling business etc; it may just be too much for your family. There's no shame in that.

Take a look at the ripples that Aldo's behavior causes in your family. Is it fair to Aldo to be the bad guy all the time? He may be one of those dogs that just needs extremely strong leadership to thrive. God forbid if he lunged out at someone or something and actually hurt them.

I know I'm probably going to get flamed for this post -- well, we don't flame here but folks are NOT going to agree with me, I'm sure --- but we have to look at the QUALITY OF LIFE that exists for everyone --- especially Aldo --- in the current situation. I know I talk alot of "Cesar" myself -- but I don't believe I would be equipped to manage a dog like this either. Aldo's aggression or whatever it is, is truly beyond my skill set. He's a beautiful sweet boy - he's my favorite bully around here --- but eventually, you'll end up with TWO whacky dogs because it's affecting Katara on some level. It has to be. Dogs are a reflection of us....they are our mirrors. Giving Katara the life she deserves is important too.

My heart aches for you. It really does. I cannot imagine the angst you and your family -- and Katara -- must suffer daily because of this situation. Please know that you are in my thoughts.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
    Likes (Received)

@Vicaroo1000 thank you for being honest! I really appreciate it, the thought has crossed my mind, I'm not going to lie. but I wish I could explain myself better when I describe Aldo's behavior. I actually did watch that episode you are talking about.. Maybe it is because I love him, but I don't think his lunges are aggressive in the same manner of that dog, he does not show teeth, or growl. He only does it when he is over excited, when he is allowed to run around.. When he is in a controlled environment, with a leash or when he is in my bed resting he could care less about lunging at anybody. I know it might be a fine line between the two behaviors, but I really do think in my heart it will get better with age if I am able to control those explosions with him as he matures, enough times that he will forget the behavior. I would hate to let him go.. I don't even think there are bulldog rescues in my area, though I wouldn't mind driving if that's what it took to find someone that could give him the care he needs.
    Also, @Vicaroo1000 Aldo and Katara are pretty happy, despite everything, they have a big backyard for the mornings and evenings; as long as they are alone they do fine, they can't play outside with the kids, but they still slide down the slide and play. when were are around, I place them in the exercise pen and they at least feel like they are around everyone here and also in their crates which they both love; Also, when it's only me in the house I let them roam free, Aldo has never lunged at me, he doesn't get excited with me, so he has never done it.. .. so, it's a lot of moving them around, but they are not unhappy dogs.. I have left Aldo a few times in his crate while I let the girls play with Katara, even though he did whine and looked awful sad, I don't think he has a low quality life.. you know what I mean.. he gets to come to my bed at night, he plays and runs, he has a large slide which he loves outside, he eats good food, tripe, he gets a lot of cuddles from the girls on the bed..
    Rehoming him is always going to be a possibility for him, but at this point I feel like there is more I can do for him, there has to be..

Eagerly and Nervously awaiting the homecoming of Bruno Cannoli

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Vicaroo1000 I actually agree with that as being an option, I also respect @acarabias so much for trying to keep peace, as I know how much she loves Aldo. I do also think a behavioralist that comes to your home and sees exactly how you are currently doing things will be better suited for your situation. At the same time you could take Aldo to basic obedience classes, so he can learn his place in the pack. No matter how bad it gets here, my dogs never target my kids, they understand the pecking order and respect them, even the babies. If my kids were ever in danger, I would probably choose to rehome. Only because I would want a better life for my dog.

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Poppy, Bunk
    Likes (Received)

I've been in your shoes. Poppy was a happy go lucky 50 lb jumper. Bunk was reactive to high energy+noise and would bite (dogs). A year ago we were lost and felt like there was no end.

Eventually I found a dog training class that was right for me. It was 3x a week for 8 weeks. Outdoors. Around other dogs. No treats and no shock collars.
    Slowly Poppy jumped less and Bunk reacted less. It truly comes down to exercise discipline affection. I was so amazed that by the end of the course, dogs that had been CRAZY: chihuahuas, pits, labs, boxers, and my bulldogs, were now respectful and obedient.

Until you find the right professional for you, there are some things you can do at home..

Jumping - Practice having friends enter the house and ignore the dog. If he jumps, get them to give a firm NO and ignore him until he calms down. It will take ages and several people before it clicks. Number one rule with jumping is consistency. Make sure NOBODY rewards this behaviour with laughter and pets. It's especially hard with strangers because they go "oooohhh it's okaaaay he's sooooo cute!!" thereby undoing all you worked for, lol. I just say to people "Sorry, he's in training" and don't let them pet him until I know he'll behave. Harsh but must be done.

With the girls, do you think they fuel his excitement at all? I know kids will be kids but it's now a good time to train them on how to interact with an excited dog. Their body language and tone might be misleading him into thinking its play time when really they want him to calm down. They must say No in a low stern voice and ignore them and turn away. He'll know they mean business. It may be a good idea to keep a leash on him dragging on the floor at all times, so you can quickly correct or separate. The most interaction he should have with the girls is on walks. They should always be on walks and represent authority. Same with feeding. Not sure how excited he gets, but if you trust him, let the girls hand feed him with supervision. He must eat slowly and nicely from their hands. He may not be ready now, but it will happen one day. Again it's tying into the respect thing.

Oh I wanted to mention this thing called the thunder shirt. Please look into it. I find it takes the edge of anxious/excited dogs. It works for Bunk. When he wears it he has much higher tolerance for little snappy dogs barking at him, lol. It may not help the jumping, but I think it may help w. the fighting. They seem to fight because the energy gets sooo high that it explodes. The thunder shirt relaxes them.

I don't think I would rehome him just because his age is a big factor in the behaviour. He needs leadership and direction. Moving him into a dog only home would stunt him, while he still can improve. If one day you feel you were 100% consistent, gave him exercise, direction, and still no difference.. Then at least you know you did right by this dog and you would feel right rehoming him.

And no I wouldn't send your dogs to that dog training place. If your problems are at home and with you kids, she should be in your home training them/you.

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

I'm here. late as usual. I'm going to make my thought's simple. Aldo is high energy right now. Invest in a cheap tread mill. tie his leash to it and turn it on. Walk of course. Do this when ever he wakes up, for 10 -20 minutes, how ever long it takes. stay with him to make sure he's not over doing it. Sounds to me like a tired dog is a good. This may work until he gets over this anxious stage.

@acarabias
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

Some great advice given! THIS is what I love about EBN. The education everyone brings to the table is priceless! Hopefully you will get Aldo under control with time and the help you will have to offer will be that much more. !

Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
    I'm here. late as usual. I'm going to make my thought's simple. Aldo is high energy right now. Invest in a cheap tread mill. tie his leash to it and turn it on. Walk of course. Do this when ever he wakes up, for 10 -20 minutes, how ever long it takes. stay with him to make sure he's not over doing it. Sounds to me like a tired dog is a good. This may work until he gets over this anxious stage.

@acarabias
    I am loving this.

When Cesar gets a really goofed up dog, the first thing he does is get em on the treadmill. A tired pup is a good pup for sure!

@acarabias - I'm glad you believe that you can help Aldo. I want that for you more than you could possibly know.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Look @Vicaroo1000 this is what I'm talking about when I say he does not have a poor quality of life
    He used to hate being on his back it's training but he also gets to cuddle with mommy :$
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -imageuploadedbytapatalk1336952086-135403-jpg  
    Last edited by acarabias; 05-13-2012 at 11:19 PM.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Watson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

so sweet

Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Bea and I went to a fancy schmancy puppy class - twice, because it was so fun - with a couple who are well known in the dog world. One of the exercises they had us do - and perfect - was similar to what you're talking about -- without the snuggling. I only realized later how important this exercise was be as Bea's little VERY STRONG personality developed. Maybe you can do this with Aldo? (I will try to describe so it makes sense) I still do this with Bea every so often. It's a leadership and trust exercise.

Sit on the floor with pup between your legs. You and the pup are facing the same way.
    Pull the pup's back to rest firmly on your chest. Your hands, firmly and very securely holding the pup against you.
    HANG ON. Release the pup only when he/she has relaxed completely.

Bea really hated this at first. Now, when I pull her onto my lap like that -- often sitting at this computer -- she immediately gives in and relaxes, often tipping her head back for a big smooch on my chin. There's a photo here that shows what a relaxed dog will look like when doing this. http://www.puppymanners.com/daves_bio.asp

I want Aldo's success!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Thank you @Vicaroo1000 I will do it like that! I do that exercise in a similar manner but on the bed and when he relaxes I will cuddle with him a bit.. I want Aldo's success more than anything else right now in my life

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vicaroo1000 View Post
    Bea and I went to a fancy schmancy puppy class - twice, because it was so fun - with a couple who are well known in the dog world. One of the exercises they had us do - and perfect - was similar to what you're talking about -- without the snuggling. I only realized later how important this exercise was be as Bea's little VERY STRONG personality developed. Maybe you can do this with Aldo? (I will try to describe so it makes sense) I still do this with Bea every so often. It's a leadership and trust exercise.

Sit on the floor with pup between your legs. You and the pup are facing the same way.
    Pull the pup's back to rest firmly on your chest. Your hands, firmly and very securely holding the pup against you.
    HANG ON. Release the pup only when he/she has relaxed completely.

Bea really hated this at first. Now, when I pull her onto my lap like that -- often sitting at this computer -- she immediately gives in and relaxes, often tipping her head back for a big smooch on my chin. There's a photo here that shows what a relaxed dog will look like when doing this. http://www.puppymanners.com/daves_bio.asp

I want Aldo's success!
    This is how I hold young pups for nail trims and after bath snuggles... They trust me so fast doing it, they are totally relaxed for grooming and such as well.

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads