Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Now I bet you are glad you paid attention in math at school!!! What you are saying is easy calculations seems a bit confusing to me. It's probably easier than I am thinking, I have always been a hands on learner!

OP
Twice

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Now I bet you are glad you paid attention in math at school!!! What you are saying is easy calculations seems a bit confusing to me. It's probably easier than I am thinking, I have always been a hands on learner!

Not easy at all!! :tongue: Once my son hit the 3rd grade I had to send my son to one of his brothers for math homework help. :eek:

I found an excel spreadsheet on one of the K9Kidney forums with formulas that do most of the math for me. It has nutritional values for a lot of food programmed in. My problem comes when I'm feeding her things that aren't already there. But then I just have to carefully measure then double check myself on nutritiondata.com. Thankfully I only have to cook for her once a week.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Sounds like a great vet who actually listens. You are doing a great job with little Abby.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] "I don't let stinky things in my bed. That's why I'm still single." BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

Me too.

BWHAHAHAHAHAHA!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
@Twice how wonderful to find a holistic vet. i wish we had one here. so what patties did he give you? yes ms food guru is interested in the food. lol cant you do patties and veggie mush? yes he is right baths do take out oils from their fur and i brush my dogs and they get all shiny afterwards. id have to bathe my dog at some point. though maybe just once a month or something. it sounds like you are doing a good job all by yourself but is nice when your vet works with you. :)

OP
Twice

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
@Twice how wonderful to find a holistic vet. i wish we had one here. so what patties did he give you? yes ms food guru is interested in the food. lol cant you do patties and veggie mush? yes he is right baths do take out oils from their fur and i brush my dogs and they get all shiny afterwards. id have to bathe my dog at some point. though maybe just once a month or something. it sounds like you are doing a good job all by yourself but is nice when your vet works with you. :)

I read that you should always start feeding raw with chicken. Dark meat chicken is lower in phosphorous than white meat, but they didn't have any chicken left so I got turkey. The pattys are made of turkey muscle, turkey organs, beef green tripe, beef blood, cauliflower, broccoli, romaine lettuce, kale and garlic. I can't even find the words to describe how it smells! :barf:

The analysis shows each patty is

16.7% protein
9.05% crude fat
70.97% moisture
3.30% fiber
1.45% ash
0.18% phosphorous
0.11% calcium

From his website, the diet is
(copied and pasted because it's hot and I'm lazy :tongue: )

• 70% raw beef, chicken, turkey, lamb, or fish, 25% of which is made up of organ meats (liver, kidneys, heart, spleen, skins/intestines/stomach, brain, and glands such as thymus (sweet breads), thyroid, and pancreas).
  • 30% raw vegetables, 50% of which is made up of "carbohydrate vegetables" such as sweet potatoes and squash. The other 50% should be spinach, cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, kale, collard greens, Swiss chard, and any other non-salad vegetable.
He says that she should be getting 2 of these a day but we have to work up to it because I'm afraid, she doesn't handle meat protein well at all. Starting with half of one twice a day. He would like me to fill the giant hole that is her stomach with extenders like more vegetables and quinoa but that stuff is expensive. I have no shame in admitting that I can't afford both the raw food and this other stuff (plus vet bills and medicines). She did great on the sweet potato mash so unless my check from Ed McMahon shows up today, that's what she is staying on.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
[MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] We're feeling pretty darn good about this new vet! How .........does...........he smellllll????? LOL

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.