How long does it take?

Antoinette

Apr 30, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
grizzly
So i changed my baby boy to a 4 star food from his purina puppy food. As well as giving him natural bones to chew on. My question is how long should it take to start helping him with his smell? I was really hoping a better quality food would help his constant wet dog smell, as well as his wet poops 4-5 times a day...its been 9 days on the food and no difference yet. Is it possible i need to try a different one?

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
It does take awhile. I usually give it 6-8 weeks.

OP
A

Antoinette

Apr 30, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
grizzly
OK its hard to be patient. Thank you! grizzly loves to give hugs and cuddle and i just cant do that before work he has such a strong dog odor :(

OP
A

Antoinette

Apr 30, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
grizzly
Yes im aware we may need to try another one. At first i thought the redness in his eyes was disappearing and now it seems to be right back where it was...

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Which food did you switch to? I'm curious! Did you switch slowly?

OP
A

Antoinette

Apr 30, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
grizzly
we switched to Nutro maxx lamb and rice all natural puppy food. And yes we did the switch slowly half and half for about a week. :( he just has this strong wet dog odor we cant seem to get rid of and he just wants to be a lap puppy and cuddle even though he is HUGE LOL

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
It could be that that food is just not as good of a quality, it is a 4 star food? I didn't think any Nutro ranked that high, they make some pretty low grade kibbles. [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] what do you think?

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I agree with Nutro not being a great food! They arent a high grade food and that could be causing the smell nd soft poo.... They have brands like Fromm, Earthborn, Blue Buffalo that are better foods with less fillers ..... I would def swith to a 6 star or at mininumun a 5 star. We currently feed Fromm and I always tell people to just try it nd see if it works well b/c its a great food to feed our bullies...

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I just looked up the ingredients and it sure has a lot of rice, three different forms of it. This tells me this food is mostly made up of rice. A bit of rice is okay usually, but that is a LOT of rice!

OP
A

Antoinette

Apr 30, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
grizzly
I went to petco to buy Aveno and the salesperson told us the nutro maxx would be good too. I am so ready to switch one more time if its what will be best for him. I dont want to ruin his little ( big ) tummy........it looks like cheerios ( not very appetizing to me ) But i did imagine it was better than the Ol'Roy the breeder was giving him for 3 months YUKKK!!!

OP
A

Antoinette

Apr 30, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
grizzly
correction I meant we went to buy Avo-Derm or merrick and we were told to get the Nutro

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I went to petco to buy Aveno and the salesperson told us the nutro maxx would be good too. I am so ready to switch one more time if its what will be best for him. I dont want to ruin his little ( big ) tummy........it looks like cheerios ( not very appetizing to me ) But i did imagine it was better than the Ol'Roy the breeder was giving him for 3 months YUKKK!!!

Oh definitely!!! Yuk is right!! :laugh:

If you want what is best, try Fromm or Earthborn. Both can be ordered through petflow, use coupon code englishbulldog , free shipping over $49

A lot of us here use petflow and their prices plus free shipping is so worth it.

The person at petco is obviously not a dog food expert....

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake

It's kind of like the vets and food..they only know what gets told to them by sales reps. And it's amazing how bad their advice can be. I agree with above, try Fromm or Earthborn..:up:

OP
A

Antoinette

Apr 30, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
grizzly
Thank you i think i will try something else. I just wasnt sure how change his food so much and i have only had him a few weeks will affect him. I dont want to make him sick but i do want him to have something yummy and good for him.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.