Need advice for travel!! Help please!!

nmejia024

Jan 13, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
King
My 10 month bullie and I will be making a trip to Florida from Pennsylvania this weekend. I was thinking of taking him in the crate but then felt too guilty keeping him in a small confined area for 17 areas ( we will have frequent stops!) I opted to buy one of those car harness that you use to belt them in with a seat belt. This seems more comfortable for him. Thoughts??? Along with this, what else do I need/should bring on the trip? I want this to be easy and comfortable as it can be for him. Many thanks!!!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I have taken mine from Texas to Florida and to Georgia. I have done it both ways, in a harness and in a crate and they did fine both ways. I really think they are more comfortable in the crate. They will sleep most of the way, we have a water container that I put in the crate with them so they can drink water any time they wish and is does not spill water. Take some paper towels and old bath towels, "we call them dog towels" just in case of an accident. Treats and of course their food, some chew toys or which ever toy they like. Plus take some plastic bags for the poop when they go at rest stops. You can get some made just for that at a pet store like Petsmart. We have been lucky none of ours get car sick, so that has never been a problem with the bullies. Good luck and have fun, we just love taking our bullies on our trips.

gunnyboy

Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2012
Bradford Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and LuLu
We took Gunny from Pennsylvania to North Carolina, we just took the middle seat out and he had all the room he needed, we do the same with Sarge, and both dogs love long trips.

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
i have done 2 trips to the obx from ny with both boys. i have an suv...i put the seats down...lay a cpl blankets down or a dog bed...throw some toys back there in case they want them...i stopped every 1.5 to 2 hours when they were awake...if they sleep i go longer...they usually move around for a while then settle and sleep. bring a cooler with water and lots of treats...

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
Two of my terriers have dog seats up front belted in with harnesses. I unplugged the airbag on their side because I read it can kill them if you get in an accident. Bubba, has the whole back seat. I was concerned about him flying forward, if I got in an accident, so I bought him a zip line from, I think it was petsmart or petco (online). i have an suv. there are different ways to attach it. It goes from one side of the car to the other. It also attaches to his harness. It allows him to move freely in the seat but not come forward to the front. I think it works well.

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
I use a crate when there are other passengers, but normally their harnesses are clipped onto the back seat and I lay towels or a dog bed on the seat for them. There were a few car accidents here in recent years where the dog in the car flew out the window. Or survived and ran into the woods/highway. Don't mean to be a Debbie downer it's all highly unlikely but better to be safe then sorry!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] has you covered!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] has you covered!
:yes:

...and never, ever. ever leave him in a vehicle for an extended period of time, regardless of how cool you think it might be in there. Last September we went on an extensive car trip - four adults, two bullies - it was pretty warm for WA. I'm sure my daughter thought I was being completely ridicules about the heat but I did not care what she thought. Death by over heating can happen so flippin' fast, you simply cannot think you will know when it is happening and be able to prevent it. It just happens too fast for that.
I imagine it's pretty warm in Florida this time of year and a Pennsylvania dog is not going to be acclimated to that heat.
BE CAREFUL.

And have lots of fun!

jen74401

Feb 18, 2012
Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Beefy
Lots and lots of toys! 17 hours is a very boring drive. We drive from Oklahoma to South Carolina and make lots of stops but they always go beyond stir crazy.

OP
nmejia024

nmejia024

Jan 13, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
King
Ok thanks for all the advice. Should I do crate or the harness? I want this to be comfortable for him and also for my other passenger. I have a Honda civic so I don't have tons of room

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
@nmejia024 A Civic, holy crap, trade it in on an SUV, just kidding. :ROFL: In that case a harness will be better. If you have a SUV a crate in my opinion is better.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.