Rudy, Jaws on Paws, Fence Chewing

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
Rudy, aka Jaws on Paws, has been chewing on the fence. He is trying to play with the Jack Russell Terrier behind us. Joy (not yet announced partner in crime) has been chewing tunnels through the bushes so Rudy has more fence to chew on. Branches everywhere, perfectly shaped bulldog tunnel. Anyone have any good ideas as to how to stop Rudy from Chewing on the fence. Need to protect about 70 feet worth of fence. Jaws on paws.jpg

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
Can you put up netting to protect your bushes?

The only way to stop him is to catch him in the act and deal right then and there. I'd use a spray bottle, or empty pop bottle with pennies in it to let him know you don't approve. Or a verbal command and treat when he pays attention to you and not the delicious fence.

Failing this you can get a scarecrow lol!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:hmm: I think some sort of temporary barrier to run that length of the fence..maybe like a strip of chain link or landscaping fencing. Or a block wall! Oh ya..with razor wire and strobe lights...maybe an ear piercing alarm. Just for that finishing touch! :ROFL:

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
Jaws on Paws...<<< love it!

OP
gobronco

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
I was thinking of a motion activated sprinkler system but I think he might just use it as a drinking fountain and a way to cool off.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Get him a Jack Russell Terrier of his own. But then you would have holes in your yard. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
LOL@ perfect bulldog sized holes. hahahahahahaha

Bo is wrecking a chunk of my "containment system" because my neighbor Cliffie encourages him jumping up there to get scratches and pets. I swear he's trying to LEAP OVER the thing when they're out there loving on each other.....(Cliff and Bo). Bea sits calmly, waiting for her turn like a good girl. :heart:

OP
gobronco

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
Yesterday, I came home to one of the fence boards pushed aside and almost eaten through. The neighbors behind us paid us a visit last night to discuss the fence. The fence cost about $28.00 a foot, of which they paid half about 5 years ago. With Rudy chewing on about 50 out of 70 feet it was either stay home with him every day (without pay) or find another solution. Electric fence (low voltage, 2 D size batteries) arrived today. I will let you know how it works out.

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
Is he left in your yard when you are at work?

Not sure what area you live in but that is very dangerous to leave them in the yard. The can overheat, get into something (in your case the fence), or get stolen. The fence can be saved by leaving them indoors while you are not home, and supervise + correct the behaviour when you are around. It's boredom or anxiety that's causing this behaviour, I would try and address the source. Maybe he will do better in a crate/pen with plenty of nylabones and elk antlers?

OP
gobronco

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
Installed a low power electric fence. The dogs can still run back and forth barking at the Jack Russell but no fence chewing. Really good exercise. Rudy is a very athletic Bulldog, probably because he was raised by Mimi (not related). She was not the usual Bulldog. Loved to sun herself, even if it was 95 degrees outside. She would run along the fence chasing the Jack Russell for 45 minutes or an hour without stopping. btw this is when she was 10-1/2 years old. Rudy has been raised on a closely watched diet to keep him from growing too fast and having joint problems. Weight control also seems to help with the hot days. No fat bulldogs in this house. On the hot days Rudy and Joy will have access to the air conditioned house. I May keep Joy in, on hot days, because we didn't get her until she was 18 Months old and she doesn't seem to take lots of exertion as well as Rudy does and Mimi and Tyler did . She is still getting used to the exercise freely in a big yard thing. Gets winded and hot too easy but is leaning out (even with an increase in food).

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.