Question about car rides

Antoinette

Apr 30, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
grizzly
So i am a new puppy owner and we have had grizzly for 2 weeks now. He had his first car ride over the weekend and he threw up twice. The car ride was only about 30-40 longs and we stopped and gave him water once. Any idea if he will outgrow this? or what i can do so we can take him with us more often??

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Oh poor Grizzly! Well..we have our Dena dog (non bully) who gets carsick regularly. Jake does not. We give her Dramamine and don't feed her right before traveling. I think water might make it worse. In Dena's case it does. Maybe it was nerves with Grizzly since the ride was not too long. I suppose what I would do is try very short trips..like start with 5 minutes..maybe around the block. Slowly lengthen the time in the car and make it a fun experience. I know how hard it is to have a dog who :barf: in the car! There are also prescription meds available from your vet..but you would hate to rely on those!

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
try sitting in the car with him with just the engine running without going anywhere you need to do this a few times before going anywhwere,give him his favorite toy only when hes in the car so that he puts the two together and realises he only gets the toy in the car,dogs are not usually car sick just stressed ,good luck,karen

gunnyboy

Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2012
Bradford Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and LuLu
Our Gunnyboy could ride from NC to Pa and love every second of it, our Sarge is the same way , riding is no problem.

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
I say don't give up. short rides and often at this age. The last thing you want is not to be able to take you wonderful companion places with you. I think drugs only make matters worse and the more tense you are the more tense puppy will be. Dublin's first ride was to her new home and that took 3 hours. She was fine and I held her and talked to her gently and stopped often so she good get out and sniff around. Since then she has done 5 hour stints no problem and we plan on driving from Florida to NY this August to take my son to college at NYU. She does her usual "huffing" if she getting fed up and we try to stop if it is convenient. We introduced her to boating early on too and now she loves it. She will be fine. Just hang in there and don't give up. Good luck.

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Bre loves to go for car rides but I won't take her anywhere right after she has eaten or drank much water. The reason being that she sometimes does a bully "burp" and brings up stuff with the burp (yuck!) after she has eaten or drank so....in hopes of not having that happen in the car I let her tummy settle for awhile before we go somewhere. She is short but she can still jump up into the car so if she has a full tummy it would jostle it enough to make her bring something up.
Maybe try only going somewhere after the food has settled? That way you would know if your bully is truly carsick or just too much motion.

Good luck with your pup!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I say don't give up. short rides and often at this age. The last thing you want is not to be able to take you wonderful companion places with you. I think drugs only make matters worse and the more tense you are the more tense puppy will be. Dublin's first ride was to her new home and that took 3 hours. She was fine and I held her and talked to her gently and stopped often so she good get out and sniff around. Since then she has done 5 hour stints no problem and we plan on driving from Florida to NY this August to take my son to college at NYU. She does her usual "huffing" if she getting fed up and we try to stop if it is convenient. We introduced her to boating early on too and now she loves it. She will be fine. Just hang in there and don't give up. Good luck.

I totally agree on the short rides! I totally disagree on drugs making it worse! Dramamine ..doesn't even make them tired..and taking that versus dealing with a stressed out dog throwing up is an easy choice for me! :barf: and may I say..the cleaning up sucks too!

AndyDamon

Apr 19, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
A lot of times it's not even the motion of the car which makes them sick; it's the general confusion and the new atmosphere, and the fact that they're not used to the car's environment.

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
Our dogs are all different so it is trial and error unfortunately most of the time. Dubbie doesn't need drugs for travelling though her huffing drives us all insane :-) We just have had really bad luck with all drugs for any problem.

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
I don't have a lot to add to all of the great advice you've already received. Rook, thankfully, is great in cars... when we picked him up from the breeder, she had already taken him on one car ride to the vet and he hadn't gotten car sick. She said that first trip is usually an indication as to how a pup will do for future car rides. Don't want to be discouraging, but if you try all the advice above without any success, Grizzly might be predisposed to car sickness and drugs might be your best bet.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Dramamine... dosage depends on weight of dog. Cheli (my Frenchie) gets sick in the car and our vet said he can have up to 50mg, but I only give him 25mg about 20mins before we get in the car.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.