Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We are thinking about getting Insurance for Sarge !!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Gunny Boy, Sarge and Splat (Lou Lou)
    Likes (Received)

Default We are thinking about getting Insurance for Sarge !!

So we are thinking about getting medical Insurance for Sarge...Does anyone here have insurance for their bullies and if so which one do you use and why ???

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: We are thinking about getting Insurance for Sarge !!

I don't have any for my pack, but I think @JAKEISGREAT is familiar with pet Insurance.
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Krista
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug
    Likes (Received)

I now know that pet insurance is a good idea because you never know what can happen. We didn't have any for Aubrey, but we learned our lesson. Even if we don't have to use it much for our next pup, we are getting it. It would have been a huge help with Aubrey.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Little Abby
    Likes (Received)

I've seriously been thinking about that lately for the future. There's just soo much that can happen. But I don't even know where to begin with something like that, what it would cover, if our vet would even accept it...etc

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Okay...we have Trupanion. We went with them because they are one of the few that cover genetic health problems. Like ALL the companies they will NOT cover prexisting conditions so I recommend you buy whichever you prefer before something might show up. Our policy did just take a big increase! even though we have never used it! We increased our deductible and kept our policy at about the same rate. We pay $37 month with hip dysphasia coverage. But our deductible is now $1000. They will pay for 90% of expenses over that $1000. So basically, we are covering anything up to that $1000. We really only wanted it for major expenses so we are ok with this. We also have Carecredit..which we can use to cover the deductible and upfront fees while waiting for insurance reimbursement. We have had a lifetime of pets and never felt the need for insurance, but I feel better having it. There are lots of companies out there and there is a very informative old thread here about it. I'll try and find it and add a link. I have heard good things about Petplan..@BabyDuke has this one..and bad things about others. Hope this helps..now I'll go try and find that link!

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/fo...ight=insurance

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duke
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEISGREAT View Post
    Okay...we have Trupanion. We went with them because they are one of the few that cover genetic health problems. Like ALL the companies they will NOT cover prexisting conditions so I recommend you buy whichever you prefer before something might show up. Our policy did just take a big increase! even though we have never used it! We increased our deductible and kept our policy at about the same rate. We pay $37 month with hip dysphasia coverage. But our deductible is now $1000. They will pay for 90% of expenses over that $1000. So basically, we are covering anything up to that $1000. We really only wanted it for major expenses so we are ok with this. We also have Carecredit..which we can use to cover the deductible and upfront fees while waiting for insurance reimbursement. We have had a lifetime of pets and never felt the need for insurance, but I feel better having it. There are lots of companies out there and there is a very informative old thread here about it. I'll try and find it and add a link. I have heard good things about Petplan..@BabyDuke has this one..and bad things about others. Hope this helps..now I'll go try and find that link!

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/fo...ight=insurance
    Hi yes we have petplan.. we have used it for Duke's entropian surgery on his eyes.. when the vet gave us his price of over 3,000 he said your insurance probably won't cover it ..it is hereditary in bulldogs but they did , they also paid for allergy testing , a few ER visits and his umbilical surgery when he was a puppy. it started out at 35 a month ( we have a 200 deductible ) it just went up to over 80 a ( he will be 5 in Aug) so I think I am going to increase his deductible. I have it for peace of mind. I would never want to have to make an emergency decision because of money and I am not one to be disciplined to put the money aside. I would be buying toys for Duke!

My Bully Gave Me Wings Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Bev
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I have Trupanion. $50 deductible. $55 a month (includes optional benefit package). Between monthly blood work, urine tests, IV supplies and medications I submit between $300 and $500 a month in claims (and we haven't even started on the acupuncture for her hind legs yet). Even if they tripled my rates it would still be worth it for us.

The first day I brought Abby to the vet, she handed me all of these insurance brochures I thought "I don't need that crap". But I listened to that little voice and signed up. 3 weeks later we find she is sick and will need special care for the rest of her life. I'll tell you the truth. If I didn't have it, there would be no way that I could afford to take care of her.
    Last edited by Twice; 05-06-2012 at 05:44 PM. Reason: didn't like my choice of words

Bulldog(s) Names
    Gregory
    Likes (Received)

this has really got me thinking about getting gregory insurance.

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by buffalobabie View Post
    this has really got me thinking about getting gregory insurance.

Absolutely! And you better not buy that cute little coin purse!

Bully lov'in wonder from down under Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Julie
    Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ftse
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I took out pet insurance for Ftse the day he had his Cherry eye op even though that will never be covered as it was pre exsisting. I was taking it from when I first brought Ftse home but as usual kept putting it off and then silly me had to pay out in excess of $1500.00 AU$ for the cherry eye. The insurance I took out here in Australia cost me $673.00 per annum and covers up to $14,500.00, if only I had done it straight away but at least I am covered now if anything else goes wrong.
    -br-144-jpg

Bulldog(s) Names
    Spike
    Likes (Received)

We have VPI pet insurance for Spike which I was able to purchase through my employer and have them deduct the monthly from my paycheck. Cost is about $37/month for the comprehensive plan. The only thing I don't like about it is you have to submit the claim to be reimbursed. I feel the vet should be doing that imo.

At any rate, I included a link to the website below if you're interested to know more detail. Hope this helps.

http://www.petinsurance.com/

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
    Likes (Received)

We have Trupanion for molly. From my few weeks of searching it seemed to be the best of the bunch.

I've posted before about this, but there are 2 breeds you can pick from on Trupanion.. 'English Bulldog' and 'Bulldog'. In my area Trupanion quotes 'Bulldog' cheaper then 'EB' . We just had our vet list her as 'Bulldog' on their paperwork and Trupanion said it was fine.

I have mixed feelings about it (since by nature im very frugal/cheap!).. Molly had a small case of puppy mange (Demodex) that cost us ~$200 in vet bills. Since our deductible is $250 the insurance didn't do anything for us. So on one hand im like... ARUG!.. and on the other hand im like... well, better safe then sorry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads