We are thinking about getting Insurance for Sarge !!

Sargesmom

Mar 7, 2012
Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Boy, Sarge and Splat (Lou Lou)
So we are thinking about getting medical Insurance for Sarge...Does anyone here have insurance for their bullies and if so which one do you use and why ???

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I don't have any for my pack, :nope: but I think [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] is familiar with pet Insurance.

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
I now know that pet insurance is a good idea because you never know what can happen. We didn't have any for Aubrey, but we learned our lesson. Even if we don't have to use it much for our next pup, we are getting it. It would have been a huge help with Aubrey.

Totoro

Apr 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Little Abby
I've seriously been thinking about that lately for the future. There's just soo much that can happen. But I don't even know where to begin with something like that, what it would cover, if our vet would even accept it...etc

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Okay...we have Trupanion. We went with them because they are one of the few that cover genetic health problems. Like ALL the companies they will NOT cover prexisting conditions so I recommend you buy whichever you prefer before something might show up. Our policy did just take a big increase! :cursing: even though we have never used it! We increased our deductible and kept our policy at about the same rate. We pay $37 month with hip dysphasia coverage. But our deductible is now $1000. They will pay for 90% of expenses over that $1000. So basically, we are covering anything up to that $1000. We really only wanted it for major expenses so we are ok with this. We also have Carecredit..which we can use to cover the deductible and upfront fees while waiting for insurance reimbursement. We have had a lifetime of pets and never felt the need for insurance, but I feel better having it. There are lots of companies out there and there is a very informative old thread here about it. I'll try and find it and add a link. I have heard good things about Petplan..@BabyDuke has this one..and bad things about others. Hope this helps..now I'll go try and find that link! :up:

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5495&highlight=insurance

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Okay...we have Trupanion. We went with them because they are one of the few that cover genetic health problems. Like ALL the companies they will NOT cover prexisting conditions so I recommend you buy whichever you prefer before something might show up. Our policy did just take a big increase! :cursing: even though we have never used it! We increased our deductible and kept our policy at about the same rate. We pay $37 month with hip dysphasia coverage. But our deductible is now $1000. They will pay for 90% of expenses over that $1000. So basically, we are covering anything up to that $1000. We really only wanted it for major expenses so we are ok with this. We also have Carecredit..which we can use to cover the deductible and upfront fees while waiting for insurance reimbursement. We have had a lifetime of pets and never felt the need for insurance, but I feel better having it. There are lots of companies out there and there is a very informative old thread here about it. I'll try and find it and add a link. I have heard good things about Petplan..@BabyDuke has this one..and bad things about others. Hope this helps..now I'll go try and find that link! :up:

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5495&highlight=insurance

Hi :) yes we have petplan.. we have used it for Duke's entropian surgery on his eyes.. when the vet gave us his price of over 3,000 he said your insurance probably won't cover it ..it is hereditary in bulldogs but they did :), they also paid for allergy testing , a few ER visits and his umbilical surgery when he was a puppy. it started out at 35 a month ( we have a 200 deductible ) it just went up to over 80 a ( he will be 5 in Aug) so I think I am going to increase his deductible. I have it for peace of mind. I would never want to have to make an emergency decision because of money and I am not one to be disciplined to put the money aside. I would be buying toys for Duke! :eek:

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I have Trupanion. $50 deductible. $55 a month (includes optional benefit package). Between monthly blood work, urine tests, IV supplies and medications I submit between $300 and $500 a month in claims (and we haven't even started on the acupuncture for her hind legs yet). Even if they tripled my rates it would still be worth it for us.

The first day I brought Abby to the vet, she handed me all of these insurance brochures I thought "I don't need that crap". But I listened to that little voice and signed up. 3 weeks later we find she is sick and will need special care for the rest of her life. I'll tell you the truth. If I didn't have it, there would be no way that I could afford to take care of her.

Last edited:

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I took out pet insurance for Ftse the day he had his Cherry eye op even though that will never be covered as it was pre exsisting. I was taking it from when I first brought Ftse home but as usual kept putting it off and then silly me had to pay out in excess of $1500.00 AU$ for the cherry eye. The insurance I took out here in Australia cost me $673.00 per annum and covers up to $14,500.00, if only I had done it straight away but at least I am covered now if anything else goes wrong.
br 144.jpg

Infinite1

May 4, 2012
Houston, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike
We have VPI pet insurance for Spike which I was able to purchase through my employer and have them deduct the monthly from my paycheck. Cost is about $37/month for the comprehensive plan. The only thing I don't like about it is you have to submit the claim to be reimbursed. I feel the vet should be doing that imo.

At any rate, I included a link to the website below if you're interested to know more detail. Hope this helps.

http://www.petinsurance.com/

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
We have Trupanion for molly. From my few weeks of searching it seemed to be the best of the bunch.

I've posted before about this, but there are 2 breeds you can pick from on Trupanion.. 'English Bulldog' and 'Bulldog'. In my area Trupanion quotes 'Bulldog' cheaper then 'EB' :bully:. We just had our vet list her as 'Bulldog' on their paperwork and Trupanion said it was fine.

I have mixed feelings about it (since by nature im very frugal/cheap!).. Molly had a small case of puppy mange (Demodex) that cost us ~$200 in vet bills. Since our deductible is $250 the insurance didn't do anything for us. So on one hand im like... ARUG!.. and on the other hand im like... well, better safe then sorry.

AndyDamon

Apr 19, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
I don't use insurance ... (used to, but got too fed up with all the exclusions and fine print) .. I asked on here a while ago about vet discount programs, I ended up signing up for Pet Assure. Here's a link to their website - it's a great alternative to pet insurance, I probably saved about a hundred bucks already (and I pay $8 a month) .. Woo hoo! Score one for Andy :) LOL

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online