Flea and Tick Treatment

Sybil76

Community Veteran
Feb 7, 2012
Kansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Tess & Rocky
Since we didn't have much of a winter here in Kansas. Summer started early and I already found a tick on Tess. So what's a good flea and tick treatment for my EB??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I like to spray my bullies with a lemon juice and water mixture. It's always worked for us to prevent fleas and ticks.
I have only found one tick on them ever and it was on Tank's jowel (a place where I hadn't applied the lemon juice mix because I don't put it on their faces).

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I was just talking about this yesterday with my pharmacist. She has done alot of work researching the chemicals used in these items and she says the absolute worse one out there is Frontline. The chemicals are so toxic, they had to fight with the FDA to even get the item on the market. She has a print out of the toxicity of all the products...I'm going to make a copy of it and scan it. These products scare me. I just googled "toxicity of flea medication" and the stuff that came up had me gasping. Luckily, I've never had a problem with flea or ticks with any of my pets.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
we use ... I think it is spelled... Vertix

OP
Sybil76

Sybil76

Community Veteran
Feb 7, 2012
Kansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Tess & Rocky
we use ... I think it is spelled... Vertix

I seen and heard good things. Maybe will put on my list this week. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
we use vectra, can only get it through vet though

xskyzx

Mar 7, 2012
houston,TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Major
i heard you put in a lil bit of apple cider vinegar in their water. helps fight mosquitoes and fleas ...

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Westchester, New York, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
I like to spray my bullies with a lemon juice and water mixture. It's always worked for us to prevent fleas and ticks.
I have only found one tick on them ever and it was on Tank's jowel (a place where I hadn't applied the lemon juice mix because I don't put it on their faces).

How much lemon juice and water do you use for the mixture?
And how often do you apply?

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I do about 1/4 lemon juice to 3/4 water. I apply it once a week to everywhere but the face (you can spray some on your hands and rub on the ears but stay away from the eyes just in case)

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
we used advantix multi all last season but i dont know what we'll use this season. i'm taking lola to the vet this month sometime to get something or other. 4mls is alot of liquid to soak into their skin at one time tho

Gilbert Reyes

Jun 16, 2012
Tucson, Arizona, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mash
I would do my homework on any products with chemicals(pesticides) before putting it on your dog. I took my dog to the vet and he gave me vectra 3d. First month use was fine then when we applied the second months treatment i found hair loss 8 days later all on his back because of the treatment. He is going to the vet today and i am hoping its not causing any further damage or the hair loss will not be permanent. Just inform yourself cause i made that mistake and feel so bad for my pup :(

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well i tried the natural flea and tick spray and it didnt work so im back to the drawing board and frontline. i hate it. i have found if you spray your yard it keeps these things down also. i tried natural yard spray but once again we had ticks so i had to use the poison kind. hm i may try the lemon juice and water. i tried the apple cidar vinagar and water spray one time and it didnt work really for the bad fleas we had here. never put it in their water so dont know bout that. ive heard that putting diatomaceous earth on them will help but have never used it myself yet.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
How much lemon juice and water do you use for the mixture?
And how often do you apply?

I also use lemon juice and water but not the bottled, bought in the supermarket lemon juice because it's not the juice of the lemon that repels insects, it's the lemon oil. The juice just makes them smell nice and gives the coat a good conditioning :)

Take a lemon and slice it as thin as you can get it. Put the slices into 2 cups of boiling water, cover the pot, turn the stove off and let it sit overnight. The next morning strain out the lemons and pour the water into a spray bottle. Spray her twice a week and before going outside for long periods of time.

If she is already itchy from flea bites boil some dried rosemary leaves and spray that onto the bites. Rosemary is a natural anti-inflammatory that will stop the itching and scratching.

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Westchester, New York, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
I also use lemon juice and water but not the bottled, bought in the supermarket lemon juice because it's not the juice of the lemon that repels insects, it's the lemon oil. The juice just makes them smell nice and gives the coat a good conditioning :)

Take a lemon and slice it as thin as you can get it. Put the slices into 2 cups of boiling water, cover the pot, turn the stove off and let it sit overnight. The next morning strain out the lemons and pour the water into a spray bottle. Spray her twice a week and before going outside for long periods of time.

If she is already itchy from flea bites boil some dried rosemary leaves and spray that onto the bites. Rosemary is a natural anti-inflammatory that will stop the itching and scratching.

Very cool! Thanks! I'm going to try this!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.