My bullie and doggie daycare

birdie1975

May 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Chilli
So my baby is 4 years old and we have boarded him on many occassions when we go on extended vacations. Yesterday we took him to the doggie daycare part of the boarding facility (same owners). When we got there, he would not leave the front door, would not go outside to play or go potty, and when we took him inside to visit the other dogs (one by one so he could get adjusted) all he wanted to do was stand next to us and he was shaking so badly. After we left, I called the daycare and they said he was doing fine, but really wasn't playing just walking around with the other dogs. Should I be concerned about him, or is this a case of "new environment" syndrome. Help me figure out my Chilli dog :)

Last edited:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
ooh I have no idea. Is this a vet facility or just a boarding/daycare? He has never reacted this way when you dropped him off before?

OP
B

birdie1975

May 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Chilli
nope this is separate from his vet. and he has never acted like this before..didnt know if it was common for bulldogs to go through this AND should I try daycare again

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
FIrst off.... :welcome: to EBN. Our 5.5 yr old acts like that whenever we are in a group of dogs. She kind of ignores the others but somewhat is fearful too. If this is a recent development then I wonder what is causing it or what happened to cause it.
Everyone here loves pix so please post some of your sweetie. Thanx for joining.

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
That's how my 4 yr old frenchie is, I bring them to the woods to walk off leash so they can play with the other dogs, Gio is running around like a mad man playing with the other dogs but my little Diva just stands next to me the whole time and watches... but since we adopted her she has gotten better being around other dogs and will sometimes walk a bit further from me to watch, she also just started playing with the pit bull across the street (Gio and the pit bull play together everyday and Diva would just watch). I think after a few trips to daycare Chilli will feel more comfortable!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Hi there and welcome! I think it's normal for older doggies to act like that when they're not used to being around alot of other dogs. My Punkin's 4 years old and have been going to daycare regularly since we've had him late last year. He stayed at home most of the time when he was with his previous owners. He wasn't aggressive with the others, but did ignore them or walk with them. He'd rather be with people really. It was only last week when the daycare owner said he was playing around, so it took him 7 months to come out of his shell.

So your Chili dog sounds like a normal bully dog. :D

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Welcome! I'm sorry I don't have a lot to offer here..but the only thing that would concern me is IF he has been to the same place before with no reaction and then he has what seems like a fear reaction..I would wonder why.

So glad you've joined us!

OP
B

birdie1975

May 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Chilli
IMG_1366_1.jpg cspedmall3.jpg

Thank you sooo much for all your comments and welcoming me with open arms. As I was reading your comments, I realized that he started acting this way after we took him out of another boarding facility. This facility was nice and I did what all good moms do, I called for references, I took a tour and everything checked out. I work at a medical facility and I had en ex empolyee, of this daycare, tell me that she quit due to what she saw some of the workers doing to the dogs. SO I am thinking he is fearful due to what he experieneced before. I have contacted many resources and have told them to please look into these allegations, so cross your fingers that they will be shut down. I will keep you posted as to what comes about. thanks for all your support, I am so glad I found this website

thesspa

I live with 2 porkers!
Apr 10, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Sorry, I don't have input either. Just wanted to say what a handsome guy you have and welcome!!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
If it was me, I'd be making a surprised visit in there. Do they have doggy cams? It's highly possible that it's just a new enviroment, Emma stays by my side. Wilson he could care less and will just march on in for any situation. It's also possible that something's happened to make him not want to go there and stay by your side. If an ex employee told you she quit due to something she saw, I'd be asking the facility what happened and the ex employee too if you can. Places can come off all nice and shiny on the outside.

Now, :hiya: and :welcome: to EBN. Continue to jump right on in, we're a pretty friendly group here. :up: Your Chilli is beautiful!! :heart:

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin
So glad I saw this post today. My husband refuses to let Dublin go to doggie day care and will not consider boarding her at all. Now, you have to understand this man :-) It only took me 24 years of marriage to even get him to consider having a dog ( Cat person) and he fought me tooth and nail on getting Dublin. Now, he is the one who is over protective and drives me crazy LOL.
We are lucky that we work out of the house and one of us is here most of the day, so no "need" for doggie day care, but we cannot go anywhere unless she comes along and she does. She is super socialized and enjoys all of our activities,. Don't get me wrong I am happy to have her along but "every time ???" No vacations, unless it is doggie friendly etc. The biggest issue is that my youngest son is heading off to NYU for college in August and we live in Florida and Mike ( my hubby) insists she comes along... We have family in Long Island who will host us and Dubbie for a couple of days but I think this is just not a good idea. Dublin does have bad breathing issues and it is a constant worry so I understand that aspect of leaving her for a week. My plan was to find a great facility and have her go for day care a number of times before we boarded her. I found a place that doesn't cage the dogs and has someone at the facility 24 hours a day. I am looking for advice from all of you as to what I should do and how I should proceed. I appreciate any insight you might have. P.S. Dubbie is great in the car and has done a 5 hour stint with no problem but.......

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
ok dont panic. let startby saying i managed a dog daycare for years.thisis normalifyou have boarded himbefore. He assumes you are leaving for an extended period. It willtake a few tripsforhimto work out that momcomes back. Bullies areextremelyfamily oriented. hischoicewould be tonever leave your side. You canmake a surprise visit, just makesurehe doesnt know you arethere oryou will ruin his day. Also it is nomalfor any dogtoact this way ontheirfirst day of daycare.sorry for the way this postlooks newtablet andnew baby so i hav half a hand to write this

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Maybe it could be one of the other dogs there too? I think dogs have a keen sense of their environment and pick up on other animals anxiety, fear, what-have-you. I would definitly consider another boarding facility if this happens more than once. Or hire an in-home pet sitter. There is a website where you can get local petsitter bios and background checks and all the fun stuff (if you are one of those paranoid mamas...I am!) LOL

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
I have nothing to offer either but Chilli is a beautiful Bully:)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online