Is it the Economy?!

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I have noticed a trend in my general area lately...tons of english bullies popping up in shelters and rescues. I like to check petfinder often because I am a sucker for a dog in need. We have fostered for overflowing rescues and have even paid fees to buy dog more time when we have been able....but never an EB. They were just a breed we have rarely seen in a multi-breed rescue, let alone a shelter.

This year alone I have seen more english bullies in shelters than ever. Here's the kicker...browsing petfinder today and saw an EB puppy in a shelter! Whoa...that's a new one on me. Do you suppose the economy is driving this trend? It's craziness!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I'd like to say no, but you're probably on to something. We here know that the cheapest thing about a bulldog is the purchase price, to keep them healthy is the big eye opener. Praying that the bullies find great homes.

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
I bet its a mix of the economy and people not realizing the cost to own an EB! I think people fall in love with these guys (who wouldn't!!) without looking into the breed first. We found Gio online from a young family who couldn't afford him anymore, and he was only 20 months!! P.S I also look at petfinder and other websites for EB weekly... 3 dogs wouldn't be too many right??!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
That's the problem I think, too many peeps get the bullies then realize they are too expensive to own. They should do their homework before buying one.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I agree that people just don't realize what it takes and cost! I would beg,borrow,steal if I had too to take care of my family(bullie and pit included) :)

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
sleepin in the car on the way home.jpg <== hard to believe that this little face ended up at rescue --- but it did. Thank goodness that the folks that got him realized their error early on and remedied the situation through rescue --- instead of Craigslist or something. My heart aches for all those dogs -- EB or not -- that are chained up outside because their owner can't figure out how to potty train or manage the behavior issue that keeps them out in the yard. Idiots. :cursing:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online