Looking to buy my bully a dog house + brush + leather collar

EBDR35

Oct 4, 2011
Hey guys I'm currently looking for a good Dog House for my bully, she sleeps outside sometimes and i want to get her a home for shelter and just coziness and general, any houses you guys recommend, I prefer to not get a wooden one as she would probably destroy it.

Im looking at these so far on amazon

any tips would be appreciated

I'm also looking for a good brush to reduce shedding and get rid of most of the hairs that are falling, my bully sheds a little too much, went to petsmart and saw over 30 of them and I do not know which one specifically works best with bulldogs and their coat. and recommendations would be appreciated.\

Last but not least i'm looking for a spike leather collar, if you guys know of any decently priced good quality ones that would be appreciated, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

gunnyboy

Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2012
Bradford Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and LuLu
A dog house?? Im sure most people on this site wont be able to help you choosing a dog house, most of our Bullys are kept inside.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well bullies should be indoor dogs, and in my opinion should never be left outside at night by themselves for several reasons. One being for their own safety and the another so they will not get stolen. They love to be around people also. The brush that we found that works like a champ is the Kong Zoom Groom. As far as the collar goes, just get one you like that fits well, and a word of advise, do not leave the collar on your dog when unattended, chocking hazard.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Is there a reason the dog sleeps outdoors? Bullies don't handle heat or extreme cold well at all! Brutus shivers if it's below 65degrees. The spike collar ?? Is that spike on outside as fashion not spikes in the neck bc bullies have very sensitive delicate necks that can be hurt easily if tugging so most people use harnesses.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Also, if you do not have one, get a wire crate so your bully can sleep in it at night in the house somewhere. Ours have their own bedroom to stay in. Or they can be in the livingroom in their wire crate also if no extra room is available.

OP
EBDR35

EBDR35

Oct 4, 2011
I think i might try the wire crate instead of letting my bully sleep outside.

The reason I just started to leave my bully outside to sleep is because she tends to pee and poo in my room during the night time, I do use pads but she pees a lot so it goes right through and i have carpet and when she poops the odor always wakes me up, Im trying to get her to pee and poo right before I go to sleep usually around midnight or so, that way once she poops and pee I can bring her inside and just leave her in the crate.

I usually feed her when i get home around 6-8pm, her digestive system is a little off sometimes she will poop right after sometimes a couple hours later.

If i could figure out her digestive system I would not mind letting her sleep inside... When i go to work i do tie her up outside, if i leave her in my room alone she tears everything up and what not.

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Be careful about tying her/him up outside. People steal bulldogs all the time and it is just heartbreaking for the owners.
You should post in the behavioral section or read some old posts. There is great advice to be found about destructive behavior and potty training :)

OP
EBDR35

EBDR35

Oct 4, 2011
Be careful about tying her/him up outside. People steal bulldogs all the time and it is just heartbreaking for the owners.
You should post in the behavioral section or read some old posts. There is great advice to be found about destructive behavior and potty training :)

I'm sure many owners here on this forum do keep them inside at all times, but I think the bulldog being a dog can handle being outside here in California weather. She does have shade..

I have her tied up to a metal chain with locks and my house is very secluded and I have cameras as well

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hello, it sounds like you have some real behavioral issues that are causing life to be not fun for you, and CERTAINLY not for your bulldog.

First of all I would like to suggest crate training as David has stated, when they are in a limited space they will learn to hold it. They (usually) do not want to soil themselves.

There are many dangers in the words you have been posting.... and I feel that it is not that your intention, so I want to point them out politely.

The collars with spikes would be something to use for maybe an outing or something, but those can be dangerous, especially if they get caught on something. I just had an experience with my girl where her collar clip (which is completely flat!) got stuck in her crate. You can never be overly cautious.

Tying up outside is sooooo dangerous. Their legs can get trapped in the rope/chain, they can choke if they get tangled... the only time a dog can or should be tied up is under supervision.

English Bulldogs cannot tolerate the weather. They should always be kept indoors except for during supervised play times, walks and potty breaks. There has already been deaths reported this year from EB's overheating and the temp was only in the 70's, and I had a dear dear friend whose EB got out and it was only in the 60's and died from overheating. Another friend came to our house to visit and it was very cool out, probably in the 60's, cloudy. My dogs did not even play with her bulldog, they just met each other. He overheated from all the excitement and he choked on his tougue, it turned blue, he could not breathe, luckily she remembered someone telling her about lemon juice and we were able to save him.

Note, it is not always heat that overheats bulldogs.... they can overheat by just playing in cool weather. They should always be close to their owners, and when they are not they should certainly be in a safe environment. This is why they should not be kept outdoors unsupervised.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I'm sure many owners here on this forum do keep them inside at all times, but I think the bulldog being a dog can handle being outside here in California weather. She does have shade..

I have her tied up to a metal chain with locks and my house is very secluded and I have cameras as well
Tied up to a metal chain with locks - WOW. These really are not dogs that are meant for the outside. The shade won't matter if it's too warm, over 75 can be enough. I would suggest some time spent training. Can't you crate her in the house during the day? Mine are in a good size crate, indoors.

Where in CA do you live? We have many here that live in CA.

You've been here quite some time I see so surely you've been around enough to know what's good and what's not good for an English Bulldog? :pray:

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
A bulldog is a dog, but it's a very different breed from all the others. As many said, they overheat very easily. Unfortunately, we've heard numerous instances when owners have lost their bully that way. It's tragic because it's so preventable.

One of my responsibilities on this board is to post lost bully ads. Bulldogs are a very popular breed to get stolen because, one, they're expensive, and two, because they can be easily sold.

I hope everyone's concerns leaves you to change your decision on leaving your bully outside unsupervised. If she has behavioural issues, please let us know what they are and we all can work with fixing them together. That's the magic of this forum, everyone's willing to give their insight on what can be the issue and will share with you their experience and advice.

Last edited:

Totoro

Apr 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Little Abby
I don't have an english bulldog yet, or any dog right now for that matter-but I have had dogs in the past. When I was young we had an english bulldog that we kept outside. We lived in an area that was very rural, and no one had bulldogs. We weren't real familiar with the internet either so we didn't have access to information about the breed. Ours did sleep inside at night however. It was just normal back then where we lived for all dogs to stay outside. I've learned alot since then and thankfully ours didn't die from heat. He DID go missing and was never found...so people stealing them is still a great possibility...even if you live far off the road like we did. everyone in our neighborhhod knew we had him and they all loved him. Anyone could have taken him.

However, I've never ever tied up any dogs. I just really can't stand that. If you plan to keep dogs outside- I think the very least people could do would be to invest in a fence (and get a different breed of dog more suited to stay outside).

Please don't take this as me being rude. My husband and mother both tell me I'm always mean..it's just my nature. HAHA =)

My advice to you would be to get a crate for him/her (sorry!).Jeffers usually has some for a good price. I like to order from there and they offer free shipping with $60+ I think. jefferspet.com
They also have kits with some crates that come with puppy pads and toys etc...for really good prices. Get a crate that's JUST big enough for her to lay down and turn around and get her a crate mat for it with a small water bowl attatched to the inside. You can even get the attatchable water bowls from walmart I believe. If it's not big enough for her to move around in it she wont poop or pee in it. Then right when you wake up take her outside to use the bathroom. You can do the same thing about 45 minutes after she eats and right before putting her to bed in her crate at night. You can put her a kong or something to keep her occupied before she falls asleep.

When introducing her to her new crate, don't force her in there. Open it up and let her investigate..put a favorite toy or a few treats in it and reawrd her when she goes in it by herself. At night when you put her in her crate she'll probablly cry for a few nights. You CANT give it to the cries. Get yourself some earplugs and make her stay in the crate all night until you let her out for potty in the morning. After a few days she'll get used to it.

If you plan on leaving her during the day...I suggest getting a kennel type fence to go around the crate....you can't leave her locked in her crate all day long. Put her crate at one end,propped open for her to go in freely, and put her puppy pads w/ tray at the other end for her to peepee on while your gone. Don't forget food and water bowls and toys to keep her occupied. I'd suggest kongs, treat dispensing toys, nylabones...

This is the kennel type thing I mentioned from amazon or drsfostersmith.com http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16677
I'd suggest getting the 8panel or putting two 4panels together...3 would be better.

Sorry to go on and on! Last I'd like to suggest getting a grain free dog food.
Hope I was of some help. good luck! =)

Totoro

Apr 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Little Abby
Oh I forgot to say....I'm seriously thinking of getting a Pet Loo. Maybe you should look into it instead of pee pads. It holds alot more liquid, and theres no paper for them to shred. I think it just looks more hygenic as well, and you can move it outside to let her pee on it when you let her out to potty-but move it inside on the end of her kennel for her to pee/poop on while you're at work. I really like that idea. There a little expensive, but you'll eventually save money by not bying the peepads.
Oh and 3 kennels put together is better. =)

GoGween

Jan 31, 2012
North Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Spunky
All great advice Bullies are very susceptible to thieves, sad to say it but it's true. Also I agree with the wire crate idea, you can eve drape a thin sheet over it at night (baring its not hot inside already) and it'l dampen the light, Spunky loves the sheet over hers and she sleeps pretty soundly. Goodluck!!!

Don't Fight The Spunk!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.