Looking to buy my bully a dog house + brush + leather collar

OP
EBDR35

EBDR35

Oct 4, 2011
Thanks for all the advice guys, I won't keep my Bully tied up anymore, I have decided to just buy her a crate and leave her inside the house.

I do not like to tie my bully at all, but I always thought it would be better to tie her up outside so she can get fresh air and at least walk around, the chain isn't too long or too short, to be honest I thought crating her up all day long 8+ hours would be even worse, which is why I came up with the idea of just keeping her outside..

But after doing some reading I realize it is okay to leave my bully in a crate for a long time, also realized it is a good way of training them, she is only about 8-9 months old, I still consider her a puppy. I appreciate everyone's advice it sure helped.

P.s.. her only behavioral issue is chewing everything up including her pad sometimes when I am at work.. I have bought her countless deer antlers and nylabone toys, she seems to grow tired of them..

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Oh that's so good to hear. It's so dangerous to leave any dog tied up when you're not there, or even there for that matter. Wilson and Emma are crated for 10 hours when I'm at work. Sure I feel guilty at times but they’re just fine. Wilson has a really big crate 5'x3 and right now Emma’s is 2'x’ as she’s potty training. She can hold it almost 10 hours now, but not quite. You made a very good decision. Bullies just aren’t meant to be kept outside. Get your guy a harness for a collar. Not only are they great because they don’t yank on the neck when walking but they can rarely slip out of them. If you’d like me to see where we got our big crate I’d be happy to look. Again, I’m very happy to hear your not going to chain your guy outside in a dog house, day or night. :up:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Thanks for all the advice guys, I won't keep my Bully tied up anymore, I have decided to just buy her a crate and leave her inside the house.

I do not like to tie my bully at all, but I always thought it would be better to tie her up outside so she can get fresh air and at least walk around, the chain isn't too long or too short, to be honest I thought crating her up all day long 8+ hours would be even worse, which is why I came up with the idea of just keeping her outside..

But after doing some reading I realize it is okay to leave my bully in a crate for a long time, also realized it is a good way of training them, she is only about 8-9 months old, I still consider her a puppy. I appreciate everyone's advice it sure helped.

P.s.. her only behavioral issue is chewing everything up including her pad sometimes when I am at work.. I have bought her countless deer antlers and nylabone toys, she seems to grow tired of them..

I am so glad to hear it I am almost in tears, if you have any other questions just let us know. I see how you could have had that point of view, but if you crate train them properly they will go in there and snooze even when you are home. It is "their place", and no one elses.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus

With Stig, we had his crate set up inside an x-pen. During the days when no ones home, he would sleep in his crate, and if he had to pee/poop, he'd walk out the crate, hence into the xpen, and do his business in the corner somewhere. I, too, was worried that he was staying too long in his crate. With the x-pen, he had a much larger space.

We had carpet as floors all over the house so we bought this rolled vinyl flooring and put the whole setup on top of it. He's more than 2 years old now and he has free roam of the main floor, but he'd still go in the x-pen whenever he needs to.

Thank you for reconsidering leaving her outside. You made us all worry here. lol.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson

So glad to hear that! Everyone gave some great advice, it's sad that it has to be that way but bullys just aren't safe outside alone :( You can always put some peanut butter in a kong, that will keep her busy for hours. As long as it's not too much longer than 8 hours a day she will be totally fine in the crate :)

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Oh and I saw at walmart that nylabone came out with these new toys that trap treats and peanut butter inside them, those would be great to keep her busy too. They have the other treat trapping toys too I just thought that one was neat because it had a place for both. It was nylabone brand but made out of the same material as kongs are.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
With Stig, we had his crate set up inside an x-pen. During the days when no ones home, he would sleep in his crate, and if he had to pee/poop, he'd walk out the crate, hence into the xpen, and do his business in the corner somewhere. I, too, was worried that he was staying too long in his crate. With the x-pen, he had a much larger space.

We had carpet as floors all over the house so we bought this rolled vinyl flooring and put the whole setup on top of it. He's more than 2 years old now and he has free roam of the main floor, but he'd still go in the x-pen whenever he needs to.

Thank you for reconsidering leaving her outside. You made us all worry here. lol.

Heck..I wasn't worried! :whew:

OP
EBDR35

EBDR35

Oct 4, 2011
Thanks guys again for all the tips, I'm already looking as we speak into getting her a Wire Crate just enough for her to switch sleeping positions, Don't want to get it to big as she'll probably start to pee and poop in there, Is there a size you recommend? My bully is not too big she is about 45 pounds.

And I actually am currently using a harness instead of a collar, I really just wanted a collar for looks I guess, I wouldn't tie a leash to her actual collar knowing how bad it is for their necks, I guess i will just look for a leather studded harness instead, if you guys can recommend a good one that would be appreciated, also any other recommendations for a good brush to keep her from shedding all over my room and bed.

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
A couple weeks ago somebody recommended the Zoom Groom brush. There's a whole thread dedicated to it in the "General" section :)

OP
EBDR35

EBDR35

Oct 4, 2011
A couple weeks ago somebody recommended the Zoom Groom brush. There's a whole thread dedicated to it in the "General" section :)

Someone in this thread mentioned that, it must be that good, I will look into it :) thanks

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion

Yes..in general, dogs sleep between 18 and 20 hours a day. So, leaving a dog in a kennel for 8 hours is not being a bad owner. My dogs are in their kennel from 8:30 am until 4:30 pm. And trust me, the sleep the whole day. I have a camera on them..and [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] bully sits via internet. Literally...all day long I get the same text. "sleeping".
With that being said, another thing you need to watch out for...the toys you leave out for her during the day. Just about every single toy has "do not leave dog unsupervised with toy". They say that for a reason. There are countless people on this very forum who have had to have things surgically removed from their bulldog's tummy. There are even more people who have been shocked with the things that come out their rear end....that they had NO idea was even missing. So, just be careful of what you leave her with. Rest assured..if she is in her kennel, she is guaranteed to be safe. (remove her collar too...we just had a bulldog get her collar buckle stuck in the wire crate..and if her momma wouldn't have been right there, probably would have ended in a tragedy)
Having a bulldog is like owning no other breed of dog. You literally have to treat them like babies.
Good luck.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard

Don't forget to bring this into the doggie bath with you when you get one, [MENTION=3380]EBDR35[/MENTION]. I gave the Dynamic Duo a bath yesterday and really scrubbed it up good, using the Zoom Groom. You should have seen the piles of hair in the tub at rinse time. It was AWESOME -- and they love it. They have a pink one and they see that thing come out and you can tell they are excited about it. We've only had a couple of warm days here but I take it out there with me while I'm tanning and they're playing in their pool. Really gets off the hair.

A bonus: the little Oregon Juncos were out there picking up the dog hair for their nests later on. :heart: I'm an avid birder so this pleases me beyond belief.

marianne

May 17, 2012
WV
Bulldog(s) Names
Jenna
I also have a rescue, she did have accidents in the house....she's 3....I took her out like i would a puppy even though she didn't have to go that often. I also walked her and crate trained her. It's been about 4 months now and she hasn't had a accident for months inside. I think a crate is the way to go....mine's afraid of the dark.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.