Scary thing!!!!! Please Read!!! Collar choking hazard in crate!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
We have a wire type crate in our room for Yuna, and I was laying in bed for a nap when I hear the craziest screech come from her! I jumped up and saw that the plastic clip on her collar was lodged in between the gaps, but it had turned sideways to prevent her from breaking it loose!!! She was of course pulling it in the opposite direction trying to free herself! All I could think of when i unclipped it was what if I was not there? She would have surely choked herself!!!! I just wanted to tell you all in case you leave collars on in crates when you go to work, I have never seen this happen but I rarely keep collars on at home.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Re: Scary thing!!!!! Please Read!!! Clollar choking hazard in crate!!

I don't like collars left on, as my sisters labrador caught his on the fence many years ago reulting in choking to death and this stays in my mind. Just so happy you were there and all is safe.
br 144.jpg

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack

Yikes. :eek: Collars are all off here too when at home.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie

So happy you were there, that could have been awful, we take our collars off in the house too.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)

WOW! Had always thought of things like that happening. We too keep collars off while at home but then worry they could get out and not have our info. They are of course chipped but would hate to have to wait for someone to take them to get scanned vs just calling. Thank goodness you were there, my gawd how scary!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)

So good you were right there! HRH only has one collar. I bought it for cute not functionality cause she wears a harness when on leash.
Bruce didn't really want me to buy the one I did, and has made it clear he really doesn't want me to put it on her when we go anywhere.
With stories like this he never will.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake

How frightening! Yup..one of my rules...no collars in crate! So thankful you were there..poor Yuna! Poor Lisa! :hug:

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
Poor Yuna!!! so glad you were there!!! We don't keep the collars on the boys while they're at home either. In fact, right Sebastian doesn't even have a collar, he's outgrown his, so Daddy says a trip to PetSmart is in store tomorrow to get new toys and a new collar for Sebastian. As if they don't have enough toys, remember this picture? 002.jpg

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Stig's orange hemp harness got caught in his crate once more than a year ago, and that was when we were diligent in taking them off right when we get home. The PetSmart trainer did say that it's good to keep collars on in the house just for the purpose of having identification in case they run away, but after that incident, I never really followed the advice.

Really glad that you were there to help Yuna, and even happier that she made a noise considering our bullies tend to be so quiet.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Lisa, I am so glad you were right there to hear Yuna's cry. We haven't left collars on our dogs at home since about 15 yrs. ago our vet's cow dog got his collar caught in their fence and he choked to death. This is a good lesson for all.

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Stig's orange hemp harness got caught in his crate once more than a year ago, and that was when we were diligent in taking them off right when we get home. The PetSmart trainer did say that it's good to keep collars on in the house just for the purpose of having identification in case they run away, but after that incident, I never really followed the advice.

Really glad that you were there to help Yuna, and even happier that she made a noise considering our bullies tend to be so quiet.

I thought I remembered someone posting something similar had happened to them ages ago, must've been you!

I know I have been given the lecture about them not going without their collars on, I even get asked at the vet isn't that Molly's collar Yuna has on? I am like, um, I just have a bucket of collars by the leash and I just grab whatever they would look pretty in that day.... lol

After that experience I am so glad I don't.... Yuna is wearing hers right now because it is easier to 'steer' her into the whelping box for nursing and stuff, but she is being such a good mama and she even lays down on her side now on command. I must say I am very impressed with that!

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
Yikes, I was not aware about issues wearing collars at home. This has been an eye opener for me!! HAVE I MENTIONED I LOVE THIS SITE!!. I am so glad you were there with mama!!

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I had never realized collars could be dangers inside the house. I keep one on Abby all the time inside, it makes it easier for me to hold her still to give her medicines and needles. I also have her medals hanging on it and I never want her to be without those, maybe I should look into a stainless steel necklace instead.

Thanks Lisa! I'm SO glad Yuna is ok!!

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
Thank goodness that you were there. No collars here either when we are home...only put on when we go out.
Poor Yuna hope she's not too traumatized.

ollieivy

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver and Ivy Claire
[MENTION=4766]Molly1[/MENTION] : i don't know if you leave little miss molly's collar on when in crate, but this thread is a reminder not to.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online