Scary thing!!!!! Please Read!!! Collar choking hazard in crate!!

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I'm so glad you were home to save her.

Another crate related issue while we are on the topic...
If you have a crate that has two latches on the door (top and bottom) make sure you always latch both and not just one. If your dog would try to push their head out of the unlatched end they can get their head stuck and strangulate..
I read that in a newspaper article once and always keep that in the back of my mind!

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
Yikes! So glad you were there for her!
Thanks for posting the warning, we aren't always good about remembering to take off Rook's harness when he comes in and this will be a huge reminder for us!!!

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
I'm so glad you were home to save her.

Another crate related issue while we are on the topic...
If you have a crate that has two latches on the door (top and bottom) make sure you always latch both and not just one. If your dog would try to push their head out of the unlatched end they can get their head stuck and strangulate..
I read that in a newspaper article once and always keep that in the back of my mind!

I had Arnold in his crate but as he got older, he started to hate it. I had one of those black wire crates with the 2 latches like you described. He pushed his way through the bottom (it was latched but he bent the metal) and luckily had no issues. The last straw was when he pushed on the crate so hard he put a gash in his head. But I definitely could see the danger in his crate for him at least!!

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I had Arnold in his crate but as he got older, he started to hate it. I had one of those black wire crates with the 2 latches like you described. He pushed his way through the bottom (it was latched but he bent the metal) and luckily had no issues. The last straw was when he pushed on the crate so hard he put a gash in his head. But I definitely could see the danger in his crate for him at least!!

This is the exact description of the crate I am using. I think it folds up.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Usually if you read the paperwork that comes with the crate it recommends you never leave a collar on the dog while it's in the crate. Now I know it's serious business. :eek:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I'm so glad she is fine! It's always scary when things like this happen. I remember when I had to save Usko's life I was shaking for hours after.

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
wow, that is so scary. I haven't really paid attention to when Watson has his collar on. Sometimes he does and sometimes he doesn't. He is not one to just jet off and run away so I should pay more attention to keeping his collar off while in the house. Good thing Yuna is alright.

Molly1

Apr 25, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly
OMG!! I am marching upstairs right now to take the "cutesy cupcake collar" my daughter has on her off right now...Thank God you were home/present for your pup!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.