Chewing on one paw??

mandyjo

Jun 24, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Hello everyone!!!!!

It has been close to forever since I have been here and much to catch up on....but I need some advice. Lola is 4 years old, no change in food or environment but she continues to chew on her left rear leg. She chews until it bleeds! I keep cleaning her paw and checking to make sure nothing is in there. But it has been going on for about six months. I am super worried and the vet has been no help. Please help me!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
her leg or her paw, is it stained red? could be yeasty? or maybe something is slightly pulled, strained?

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I think allergies cause most of the paw licking. Brutus used to lick his paws when we had him on Lamb and Rice now since the switch to grain free he doesnt lick anymore! Things could change esp allergies even when they werent present this whole time. Have you ever done an allergy test? Have you noticed any limping?? [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] has a medicated shampoo that works great that you can maybe try!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Sounds like allergies to me too. Wilson doesn't do too well when the grass has just been mowed. He will literally start chewing on his pad, not licking. What I do is stick him in the bathtub, wash his feet, dry them and then put some cornstrach to dry them out and then he's good to go. I will also use Bitter Apple on ocassions.

Also make sure to check the pads to see if there's any sores.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Yes..sounds like allergies to me too..poor baby...I sure hope you can isolate the problem. Is there any sign of pain or limping? If not..I would get an allergy test..and start washing that area in particular with a medicated shampoo!

Last edited:

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
and dont they make some noise whilst chewing on the paws,it really gets on my nerves when annie does this,i spray her foot with colloidal silver it seems to cool her paw off,she doesnt do it very often thank goodness,could possibly be an allergic reaction to something,you will need to find the trigger ,very hard to do unfortunatly they can do some damage cant they but if its itchy all they do is chew ,perhaps spray the paw with something and try putting a sock on the paw,karen

OP
mandyjo

mandyjo

Jun 24, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Thank you all for your responses. The paw is really red, and I keep checking for sores (several times a day and she is hating me). There is no smell at all. It starts as licking before she starts to full bore chew her paw. This is going to sound very ignorant...but do I just call the vet and ask for a food allergy test or just a general allergy test? She

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
i think you should have the vet check out her rear paw. I think it is a little weird to just chew on one paw if it is allergies. When Watson had problems with allergies he would chew/lick on both his front paws but not the back paw since he can't really reach it anyway. Did you check to see if there is some foreign material in that paw?

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
That can also be stress. When does she lick/chew it? I she does it when you're away it can also be separation anxiety.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
You could try dipping her paws in some apple cider vinegar water a couple times a day. Maybe that will help until your vet comes up with an answer (or until allergy results are in)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.