Ugh, the landlords say we cant's get another dog

mendomama

Aug 28, 2011
Mendocino, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Uni & Boadie
So we asked our landlords if we could get another dog, the answer is no. This is really frustrating, we asked almost two weeks ago, they just get back to us and say no, we figured since we had one, what's one more. It is not like our EB is a bad dog, she is well behaved. So because they took so long to get back to us, we thought is was going to be ok and put a deposit down on a puppy, we liked him and didn't want miss out on him. AND were ready to pick him up this weekend.... Ugh. SO NOW WHAT?

Well I will be looking for a new place to live, we have lived her for 5+ years but it just makes me so mad that they can make the decision if we can have another kid (to us our pets are our kids), to us the decision to get another dog did not come lightly.

We pretty much have today to decide to get the puppy or not, I don't really want to get the puppy and have to move quickly after that. But on the other hand I really don't want to let this puppy go, not to mention let the landlords win.
:cry:

gunnyboy

Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2012
Bradford Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and LuLu
I would get the puppy and move, which one is going to make you happier? not a house, but the love of something that needs you and can make a difference in your life.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Get the puppy.... and then ask again stating that you feel your dogs are your children... BUT tell them also if they don't agree to the second pup that they can consider your letter a 60 day notice.

They may change their mind unless they have people on a waiting list for your place.

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
Did the landlord give you a reason? Maybe there is still some room for all parties to get what they want....you could address the landlord's concerns and then he/she will reverse the decision and you can get that puppy.....negotiate, negotiate, negotiate.....good tenants are hard to find (so you have an advantage).....

OP
mendomama

mendomama

Aug 28, 2011
Mendocino, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Uni & Boadie
This is all good advise, I do want to get the puppy. The reasoning for landlords is they have had bad experiences with tenants and there pets. To me this has nothing to do with us. They said they never wanted us to have pets to being with, but we moved in with a cat.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I would get the puppy, and let them know that you plan to move asap. If they make a fuss, tell them that you put a deposit down because you thought everything was ok seeing they didn't reply quickly. Who knows, maybe they'll come around and let you stay.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I would get the puppy and send them another letter. In it I would welcome them into my apartment to inspect my apartment for damage done by my current dog. I would also send him a copy of my renters insurance policy and offer to pay a reasonable pet deposit. If he refuses all of that then he can consider that as an intent to move notice.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Did the landlord give you a reason? Maybe there is still some room for all parties to get what they want....you could address the landlord's concerns and then he/she will reverse the decision and you can get that puppy.....negotiate, negotiate, negotiate.....good tenants are hard to find (so you have an advantage).....
Well said. They also may require more $$ for a pet deposit. If you've been there 5 years already I think you've proven yourselves. I can see him saying that if you just moved in but you didn't and you have a history of living there.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Good advise above, I myself would get the pup and you would think they would want to keep a good tenant that has been there 5 years. If not you may find a better place elsewhere.

BrooklynStar

Feb 21, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer

+1

My parent's own several apartment buildings throughout the city (15+ families in each of them), and I can say that maybe about a handfull of them are considered "good tenants', they are really hard to come by so it cant hurt to ask again and make additional arguments in your favor, goodluck!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Oh that is so terribly sad! I hope you can work something out with them, great suggestions above. Paws crossed you will still get your baby!

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Some breeders will keep a pup a little longer too for a small fee. Just a thought in case you have some moving to do before you go get him/her.

And where are pics of this new pup?! Did I miss a thread!? :)

OP
mendomama

mendomama

Aug 28, 2011
Mendocino, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Uni & Boadie
yes I did post a pic @ mamaandi. It was a while back. I am leaning towards getting the puppy but my boyfriend doesn't want to make waves. I feel like we are good tenants, and there is no real reason we should not be able to have one more dog. We explained to them that we do not want any more after this one, and we are not going to have puppies. We also have told them we chose to have pets not kids. They say that it is different. The only difference is that kids cause more damages. LOL! I don't want to move but I do want a dog for our Uni to play with. Ugh.... My heart is torn.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.