Our poor Tucker

Tucker

Apr 13, 2012
Ingersoll ON
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
So, were new here, just joined a week or so ago as we have a just 5 month old English bully.

His name is Tucker, and we live in Ontario Canada.

Tucker is at the University of Guelph vet hospital right now waiting to be sedated and checked out for a elongated pallet.
He has been having some coughing and gagging issues since we brought him home a month ago. Last week he had a episode where he kept us up all night coughing and gagging and our vet had booked us an appointment for a surgeon to look at his pallet.
HOWEVER, yesterday we had the scare of a lifetime and hope we never go through it again.

Tucker started to cough like he has in the past, however this time he stumbled and fell down and was severly choking, I had to rush to him and use my fingers to pull mucus, and foam from his throat and airway to get him to take a breath again. It was the scariest moment of my life and to see his eyes looking at me while I was trying to clear his throat was something I never wanna experiance again in my life.

They are sedating him this afternoon and going to look at his pallet and if it requires the surgery they are going to do it right away so we dont have to worry about our little meatball.

Iam just thankful that we were there when it happened, or else we may have come home to find the unimaginable.

Im not sure if anyone else here as experianced this - im sure there is as this seems like a great forum and we have read countless threads on coughing and choking.

Ill post pics of tucker when I get home, and will forsure updated everyone with is condition.

Billy

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
How scary!! I will keep you guys in my thoughts today. Keep us updated!!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:welcome: to EBN although we'd rather it be on a higher note. We will certainly keep poor tucker in our thoughts and please keep us updated on his condition. Hope he is better soon.. pix when you can is fine.. everyone here loves bully pix. :)

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
Praying it's nothing serious and that he'll be ok and wishing for a speedy recovery.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I don't have any experience, but I've heard of corrective operations and after that they can live full happy lives, so be positive and keep us posted!

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
Prayers and hugs for you and Tucker. I don't have any experience with this particular condition, but it sounds like he's at a good place to help him......hope everything goes well today.

buffalobabie

Apr 11, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Bulldog(s) Names
Gregory
gregory had his shortened when he was 14mths old, he didnt have as bad breathing problems as that though. so glad you were there for your little guy when that happened. Ive heard great things about the uni of guelph, hes in good hands.

Sandy

Aug 28, 2010
Virginia Beach, Va.
Bulldog(s) Names
Harper Jiggs
Buster went through the same thing after we got him. He would cough/gag until his tongue would turn blue and he would almost pass out - I would pick him up and pat him and pry open his mouth It was like he needed to throw up but couldn't. The vet sent him to a surgeon to do the elongated soft palate surgery along with enlarging his nostrils a little so he could breathe better. This seemed to help him a lot, but a few weeks later, he had another "episode". After much discussion, we (after I insisted ) changed his food to a hypoallergenic one. Hasn't had an episode since. We had him tested for allergens, and he tested positive to over 25 different things including beef, peas, grain, etc. which were in his previous food and treats as well. He is 7 now and doing beautifully! :heart: Hugs to you until you get your baby's problems figured out - it is a trying time.

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Unfortuntatley I know two of my friends who went through this.. but hurray that you were there.. it will all be OK!!! I know it must have been so scary but as you can see from some of the responses it is a little comoon.. please update us when you can and let us know how your little guy is doing. My cousins EB had this done when he was 4 months old.. he will be 5 this summer! and is happy and healthy! :yes:

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I'm glad you were there to save the poor little guy! I hope all goes well with his corrective surgery :)

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I'm so sorry Tucker is going through this..but t the same time very thankful you were there and able to get him help. I'm certain he is in great hands and will be a much happier healthier Boy! I'm so glad you found us and look forward to lots of pictures and stories as Tucker grows up..:yes:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.