questions about chewing

Roger

Aug 5, 2011
My bulldog is 13.5 months old. She is crate trained and potty trained. Unfortunately, I cannot let her alone in the house unsupervised yet, as she continues to chew furniture. She has lots of chew toys which she enjoys greatly, yet the minute she is alone and unsupervised for more than just a few minutes, she chews something else (ie leather sofas, pillows), etc.

Is this a phase she will grow out of eventually? If so, when does the chewing phase lessen?

Any advice given is much appreciated. Her teeth are great and she has no health issues....

gunnyboy

Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2012
Bradford Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and LuLu
Sarge is a year old and chews everything , I think its just normsl and they will out grow it, just be patient and hopefully your funiture will hold out till the chewing phase is over.

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
Have you tried the Bitter Apple spray?
Rook is quite the chewer... but the Bitter Apple has kept the furniture, floor radiators, base boards safe, electrical cords, and the rest of our apartment safe.
I know it doesn't work for all dogs, but it would be worth a try! It helped us a lot.

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
Bubba is a year and 3 months old and I have same proble
Doesnt do it until I leave. He's fine when I'm home. I haveayely been blocking him in the kitchen during the day. He has chewed a little but of 2 ends of the cabinets. I put hot sauce on those spots and he stopped.

OP
R

Roger

Aug 5, 2011
so it is safe to say that they eventually outgrow this behavior?

LucysMom

Community Veteran
Feb 8, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy(RIP) and Gizmo
have you tried Kong? Also, our Lucy (RIP) loved Nylabone. LOVED

OP
R

Roger

Aug 5, 2011
She has kong and nylabone. She loves them both, but still seems to prefer chewing the sofa pillow over either toy when given the chance

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Try the bitter apple spray. I think most dogs outgrow that phase, but some just don't.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Most will stop it or slow down around 2 years of age. Jewel my one year old has decided to chew two holes in out leather couch, little stinker. Lucy is 4 almost 5 and about 5 months ago chewed a window ledge, but hasn't done it since. Some never stop the chewing.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online