moved this week, aggression last night

korikelly

Apr 21, 2011
Oregon
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Hi all,

My family is mid-way through a move. Our house sold and we are living in a hotel until our new house is ready at the end of May. We've been there 5 days now. Lola did great until last night. Hubby was taking her out to the pet area and she saw another dog in the hall. She barked some, but he got her outside. Once outside, she lunged at a woman and her husband, barking, growling, and being generally scary. Scared the poor woman to death, and her husband was really mad. Hubby managed to restrain Lola, but I really think she may have hurt the woman if he hadn't been able to. Now she doesn't want to go to the pet area, and she growls at everyone she sees.

I have no idea what changed. What do we do?

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Only my opinion of course, how' s the stress level? pretty high I'm assuming living in a hotel room for a week.. try to calm that down. and now see if she is in any pain anywhere on her body, check her ears and bottom etc. I hope everything will work out for you soon, you really don't need any of this right now, that's for sure
cuddle and calm her if you can, exhale
she may be claiming the new space.

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
I agree with [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION]. Moving is very stressful for bulldogs. When I moved homes, Poppy vomited and had the runs for a week before and after. They sense the stress, frustration etc. Her crate should be her stable, safe place.. This is why crate training is so beneficial.

Try recreating the situation with the lady, but with a friend. Walk by them in the hallway a few times. Get your friend to kneel down but don't force Lola towards them. They should have a treat for her to "smell" to bring her in, once she approaches them in a calm friendly manner, give her a reward and repeat.

Another thing that will help is to tire her out as much as possible!! Then she won't have the energy to be stressed, aggressive, nothing. A tired dog is a good dog.

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
Ps. Hotels are strange places with loads of new smells. This can be overwhelming for a dog. Try as much positive association as possible, explore the hallways, get her to sit (or shake hands, whatever she knows) and reward her.

OP
korikelly

korikelly

Apr 21, 2011
Oregon
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
The stress was really high the first couple of days, and she was so good. It's much less these last few, and now this problem. She was so good for the past few days, that's why I was so surprised last night. Maybe it just caught up with her.

Thanks for reinforcing with regard to the crate. I've never been so glad she is crate trained. It is her favorite place at the moment, I catch her going in there a lot, and she never really did unless it was bedtime before. We are working hard on making her sit at every door, corner, etc, and making her wait for us to say it's ok to go.

She was a lot better when I went home at lunch to let her out. She got lots of praise for that!

Thanks for the responses. We'll give her extra love and and an extra long walk tonight!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=3904]Poppy[/MENTION] - good stuff!!! :yes:

I would guess that - given she's not been at all like this before - that it's the stress of a new situation. When Bea and Bo where little, we did a lot of "local hotel camping" (I was employed then LOL) so as long as they had their "travel stuff" (blankets, toys, treats, collapsible kennel), they were fine, no matter where we were and no matter how long we were gone. PLUS at hotels they get to sleep with me on the King Size big bed - a treat for sure. All those "Unknowns" there at the hotel are probably stressful for your precious angel and yes: thank GOODNESS she's crate trained! Can u imagine not having that going for you? Nightmare.

You will all be glad when you're in your new place!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online