Sparkles

catorres8988

Jun 3, 2010
Tyler, Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike & Sparkles
Ok EBN friends I need help, advice, info, etc, all of the above regarding "elongated soft palate". On Tuesday I took sparkles for her "meet & greet" appointment at her new veterinary. She did pretty much a head to toe assessment, asked me what we were feeding her, etc. I told her that the only complaint I had was regarding her heavy breathing even when resting she gets so out of breath. At first she did say it's typical for bulldogs but then upon inspection she opened up her mouth and noticed that the tissues were so inflamed she couldn't get a really good look but that with what i was describing it is very common for bulldogs to have an elongated soft palate. She prescribed me Hydroxyzine HCl 50mg to give to her twice a day. She said she would get back with me after she got some input from a surgeon in dallas. She did recommend that we go ahead and do a sedated oral exam so that way she could see if surgery could be done to fix this issue. So does anybody have ANYTHING related to this that would help me? We are going to go ahead and do the sedated oral exam she said we should plan on being there roughly an hour. they take video and pictures and she even said i could be in the room while this was being done and then after that if needed she could refer me to a surgeon in dallas, texas to get a 2nd opinion and possible surgery to fix this. I am stressing out hoping sparkles is ok and also stressing out about the cost! :( I am not too stressed out about the $90 sedated oral exam fee but what idk is the price if needed of the surgery...soooo does anybody know if insurances usually cover this or if i should look into getting insurance??? Also she said that for the oral exam they use propofol (she said it's not the kind michael jackson OD on) lol.

She also referred me to this website to get more information about it

http://www.acvs.org/animalowners/healthconditions/smallanimaltopics/brachycephalicsyndrome/

GRACIE11

Feb 11, 2012
Fairbank, Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie Mae "The Diva"
I have no advice but I hope everything turns out and she will not need the surgery:yes: Can it be done with a lazer?

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
Watson had laser surgery for his elongated soft palate when he was 5 months old. The breeder did it so I don't know what the cost was. He has not had any trouble since then with his breathing.

I

ImAGuinneyPig

:( Sorry to hear about Sparkles. I don't really know anything about elongated soft palates, so I can't add anything that way.

However, if you don't already have insurance for her, it will do no good to get it now in regards to this. The vet has already diagnosed her with this condition. The insurance company will consider it a pre-existing condition and they won't cover anything to do with it.

Bulldoggie371

Mar 11, 2012
Willis, MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Ciara, Boz, Echo & Aries
My Bullie Callista had the palette surgery when she was about 8 mths old. She had no issues with recovery at all.

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
I know nothing of this subject but I have a question. Why Hydroxyzine (Vistaril)? This medication is an anti-histamine, similiar to Benadryl for allergies. We also use it in psych for an anti-anxiety medication. But this medication is sedating. Is it to relax her to slow down her breathing?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My boy, Nitschke had the surgery at about a year old..... he had four issues addressed, was in the hospital for two days and they had a tech sit with him every minute to monitor his breathing. His recovery was very quick ...... not sure about the sedated oral exam, our vet nor the surgeon did this... they just looked in his mouth.

Good luck with everything and keep us posted

OP
catorres8988

catorres8988

Jun 3, 2010
Tyler, Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike & Sparkles
The anti histamine to help her with itching she has. She said its better than the Benadryl. I might call to see if she can prescribe something for the inflammation. I think the reason she wants to do the sedated oral exam is bc upon visual exam at the appt we had the other day there was tissue inflamed that she couldnt get a good view of anything.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?rn14l5

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.