Troublesome bulldog puppy

Bullylover2010

Aug 21, 2010
Lexington,nc
Bulldog(s) Names
Skye
I got a English bulldog puppy. Skye is my puppies name. He don't want to listen when he does something bad. He gets too rough with my daughter sometimes. How do I teach Skye from getting to rough with everybody. How to get him to listen and discipline him without hurting him..

catorres8988

Jun 3, 2010
Tyler, Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike & Sparkles
aw he is just a puppy..i remember spike being very hyper and innapropriate when he was a puppy but its just a stage...before u know it he will be much better and all he will do is sleep, eat and poop and u will miss those puppy days lol...i know i do. we took spike to petsmart puppy training classes and it worked miracles. good luck

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Just like a child, consistancy and training is key. I have found recently that reacting to the issue rather than yelling or showing anger at the dog seems to work better in some cases. When it gets too rough around the baby, perhaps be very dramatic about saving your baby, and really show no attention to your puppy except for "no, bad" and then give all your attention to your baby in a very dramatic fashion. This will show the pup he gets no attention from you when he does this, and the baby gets all the attention. That is no fun for the pup... Right?

Training and learning the "no" command will also help. Always use the same command and also a hand gesture for your command.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
No worked real fast with Bella. Loud and strong. Also with Abby, we would smack a fly swatter on the counter. That loud snap got her attention and she would stop what she was doing. To this day it works. It will be a while before the puppy stage is gone. In the meantime Obedience class does work.

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
Did you do research before adopting your puppy? Well, now that you have her... I think what worked for us was an empty soda can with a couple pennies in it. Whenever she does something you don't want her to, shake the can loudly. The loud noise will distract her.

OP
B

Bullylover2010

Aug 21, 2010
Lexington,nc
Bulldog(s) Names
Skye
I've tried clapping and other noises to get his attention but Skye doesn't pay no mind to it... I thinkmy daughter gets to hyper around him then he gets hyper

tkletscher

Aug 23, 2010
MN
Bulldog(s) Names
Jagger
We have a 6 month old English Bulldog, Reggie. We have a 9 year old son and 3 year old daughter, too. At first he would "attack" the kids if we weren't right there to stop him. We have done training and have worked on some dominance techniques. These have all helped. However, when our kids start playing, running, jumping, etc., Reggie thinks it's playtime and he joins in. He jumps on them, chases them, and does all kinds of things. He thinks he's playing. We've had to work with our kids to make sure that they don't start "playing" in the house when Reggie's around because he doesn't yet understand what's going on. That has helped a lot. We really try to keep him in a different room or outside if the kids are "playing" in the living room.

OP
B

Bullylover2010

Aug 21, 2010
Lexington,nc
Bulldog(s) Names
Skye
Well my daughters almost two and she pretty much right now is be there with him and he gets nippy.. I try to keep her away at certain times but it's hard sometimes.. How do I control his nipping he almost really hurt my daughter..

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)

SonoftheSea

Jul 28, 2010
The Netherlands
Bulldog(s) Names
Bono, Son of the Sea
I agree with most of the advices above.
Consistancy, obedience training, crate training worked with Bono
It's also important you stay calm :) but determined while you show your bull you're the boss

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Unfortunately, your bully is doing exactly what every bully does at a puppy. They nip when they play, the want to bite because they are teething. Consistancy and training will overcome these in time.

If you are not already crate training, perhaps doing so would help. Then you can let him and your daughter play only when you are supervising.

OP
B

Bullylover2010

Aug 21, 2010
Lexington,nc
Bulldog(s) Names
Skye
I'm crate training him and I made a can with pennies and his scaried of my daughters toy handle vacuum cleaner..so it comes in handy when I show it

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
I have two 3 month old Bulldog puppies. The crate and consistency are the best advise I can give. Gertie was soooo bad about nipping when we first got her, but she's much better now. She learned "No" pretty quickly. I have a crate for each of my girls and their bed and toys are inside, so they don't mind being in them. Whenever they're getting too wild, they have "naptime" in their crates. They also come in very handy when I can't be watching them closely. Do you provide your puppy with plenty of rawhides/nylabones/chewie toys to keep him from chewing on furniture and your daughter? I've found that very helpful. Gertie and Ida know what is theirs' and what's a no-no.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online