Postponing therapy dog training :(

speechmom53

Feb 17, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubs
I am not too happy about this, but I think it is in Tubs' best interest to wait until the fall. Yesterday, we had the hottest day yet. 90 degrees in April (crazy)! We are back down to 70 degree weather today and will be dropping into the 60s tomorrow. Anyway, we went to class last night and Tubs was panting heavy the whole time. I also noticed that there is no A/C. The trainer was great and showed me how to squirt water in his mouth to MAKE him drink. (he informed me that when dogs get dehydrated they won't drink so we need to make them). He did well during the clas, but we have 4 more classes for basic obedience and then 8 week for therapy dog training. This will put us at the end of June. I guess right now we just need to keep an eye on the temperature. I am also going to talk to the trainer for the therapy dog certification and see if he has any suggestions on how we could get him certified with out having him endure the heat!!!!! Ugggg.......I guess we will get there, eventually!!!!!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I'm sure you're disappointed...but you are right. Tubs can't learn nothing if he's worried about cooling off all the time.

I'm disappointed too....I wanted to watch your progress so I could be inspired to do the same thing! I would love one of these guys to be that Therapy Dog, Delta Society Certified Style!

Maybe you can continue some basic lessons at home when it's cool? To keep him on his toes?

OP
speechmom53

speechmom53

Feb 17, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubs
I'm sure you're disappointed...but you are right. Tubs can't learn nothing if he's worried about cooling off all the time.

I'm disappointed too....I wanted to watch your progress so I could be inspired to do the same thing! I would love one of these guys to be that Therapy Dog, Delta Society Certified Style!

Maybe you can continue some basic lessons at home when it's cool? To keep him on his toes?

Thanks so much! I think we will be cool enough to get through his basic obedience classes, so we can get that requirement out of the way. Last night he was funny....we were working on down/sit, where we put the dogs in a down and them get them to sit. We started by sitting them and then we knelt in front of them and signaled them to go down and then we stood up and took the leash and signaled them to sit. As soon as I knelt in front of Tubs he laid down!!!!! :ROFL: no signals needed!!!!! I think he was showing off or being a class clown! The trainer got a kick out of it....he said he was paying attention!!!!! Heehee

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
Oliver didn't go through a specific therapy dog training class. After he passed his puppy obedience class with flying colors, so proud of my boy. He took the CGC test the following week. My instructor is also certified to administer that test. He isn't certified to admin the TDI test though, he did give the test requirements and all the individual tests, which are identical to the CGC except for about 4 things related to medical equipment. Oliver was tested with the use of a walker during his CGC test though, and because Skyler had a walker, IV pole, and cane when he first came home from his brain surgery, Oliver was pretty used to that kind of stuff. He takes his TDI test in May through the Humane Society because that's where the tester is. Hopefully Tubs can become a therapy dog along with Oliver!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I am so proud of you both for becoming therapy dogs!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.