Need major help with food issue :(

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Fromm didn't work for my Samson either. It's good stuff but like we all say, what works great for one bully may not for another.

The ear wax issue sounds like an issue with yeast. When Samson was having the same issue I read here that potatoes aid in the growth of yeast so going with a potato free food could help. So I switched to Natures Variety instinct salmon, because its potato free and Samson needs a fish based kibble (preferable salmon). Cleared up the issue in 2 weeks, I was amazed!

I know this can be really frustrating. Unfortunately when our battle with Samson's allergies began it was 3 years before EBN came around so I had to figure it all out on my own thru trial and error. It can be very frustrating and we went thru alot of great foods that just didn't work for Samson. It really is worth trying a number out to find a kibble that is both high quality and works for your Brooklyn. Good luck!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hi! Brooklyn is a year and a half old... He was eating hills prescription diet d/d dry and canned food for a long time and did VERY well with it. But then some ppl on here said its terrible to keep him on a prescription food so I panicked and switched him. He didn't love the food but he ate it and had no tear stain, no ear wax. So we bought Fromm (beef frittata and pulled pork cans) and it could be a coincidence from change of weather .... But it seemed as thought he was eating his paws bc they itched So much?!?!?! It was right when he started to eat the Fromm, so we assumed he was allergic? Maybe to pork/beef? No clue and do not want to spend a million $ on an allergy test.

So NOW we tried natural balance, and he barely eats it (probably bc it tastes as gross as it looks) and he has terrible tear stains and worse- an unbelievable amount of ear wax in both ears-flush them every single day and they're filled. This has to be from food right??
I want to put him back on the d/d bc he has no problems when he eats that but am very torn :( I know food is a trial and error but if he was fine on that food can't he stay on it? Or is it truly bad for him? Honest, knowledgeable opinions please- and maybe past experiences? Don't know what to do and want his ears to clear up! Thank you!!!!

Hills is a very low grade food, but there are rare occasions where it is the food where it works.

Looking at the ingredients in the Potato & Venison, it shows me that your bully is mainly eating carbs/gluetens. Obviously this is not something that your bulldog is allergic to, so that leaves your options open for many foods.

The venison has pork fat so I would guess at this point it is probably likely there is no issue with pork, but as my vet told me these diets are specifically met to put such a minimal amount of allergen source so that there would be no active trigger. So that does not completely put it off the list entirely, but you can assume that is the case.

I would look for a good canned food and kibble that has potatoes, venison, fruits and veggies to start with. These are the ingredients that is mostly made up of the food Brooklyn was on.

Now, if I were you, I would ask yourself if it is really worth all the trouble. There is pros and cons. If you can find the right kibble you will give your Brooklyn a longer life, too much glutens could not possibly be good for long term health. But, is it worth the misery of trials to see if that is the case?

First I would transition (slowly) back to what you were on for the next two months and see if everything clears up. If not, it is probably a combination of coincidence, and the wrong food, since allergy season is upon us. This is her first year over the age of one, so even if he had no allergies last spring it takes a season to develop allergies to a season. Most bulldogs don't show severe seasonal allergies until they experience their second season.

It is bad food, and these prescription diets are usually meant for short term usage. There are certain foods that are specially forumlated for stones and kidneys, but even then there are other options, as there are many members here who have been in your shoes and with a change in diet they found proof positive results. Not always kibble, but even homemade or raw. I may have been the one who made you feel like you needed to switch, I am not sure, but I am truly sorry if I did and it did not work out for you thus far. But I will continue to help you on your search and support you 100% if Hills is the right food for you and Brooklyn.

That is my honest opinion and advice to you, please keep us posted on what you decide to do and in the meantime, we have plenty of time to search foods for the perfect one for your baby boy.

OP
TomnZon

TomnZon

Nov 29, 2010
NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn
Wow guys you are so awesome for taking So much time to type all that for me!!! I just saw the posts now. What we hve been doing is just giving Brooklyn the Fromm dry food. No cans. We don't have any hills cans and wasn't sure if should buy more. He has been eating the Fromm dry! Of course he waits til the very last waking minute and eats. so he waits basically til he is starving probably to see if I'm going to give him something good like "people" food! Oops! But I haven't been and he eats a little of the dry food but not much at all so I'm worried he isn't eating enough. I wish there was a dry food he would love to eat as soon as I put it down. But on a positive note he has not been itching So I think it may have been the Fromm pulled pork cans!

I

ImAGuinneyPig

I'm late to this one!
That's great that Brooklyn is doing well on the Fromm dry! Bravo! It is also MUCH better for him if he is eating dog food to just eat kibble, no canned or wet food. It does nothing positive for their teeth, and as well I find it creates picky monster dogs (as you have discovered ;) )
A healthy dog will not starve itself. Once they get hungry enough, they will eat! :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.