Need major help with food issue :(

TomnZon

Nov 29, 2010
NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn
Hi! Brooklyn is a year and a half old... He was eating hills prescription diet d/d dry and canned food for a long time and did VERY well with it. But then some ppl on here said its terrible to keep him on a prescription food so I panicked and switched him. He didn't love the food but he ate it and had no tear stain, no ear wax. So we bought Fromm (beef frittata and pulled pork cans) and it could be a coincidence from change of weather .... But it seemed as thought he was eating his paws bc they itched So much?!?!?! It was right when he started to eat the Fromm, so we assumed he was allergic? Maybe to pork/beef? No clue and do not want to spend a million $ on an allergy test.

So NOW we tried natural balance, and he barely eats it (probably bc it tastes as gross as it looks) and he has terrible tear stains and worse- an unbelievable amount of ear wax in both ears-flush them every single day and they're filled. This has to be from food right??
I want to put him back on the d/d bc he has no problems when he eats that but am very torn :( I know food is a trial and error but if he was fine on that food can't he stay on it? Or is it truly bad for him? Honest, knowledgeable opinions please- and maybe past experiences? Don't know what to do and want his ears to clear up! Thank you!!!!

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I'm assuming the doctor put him on this for skin problems? I'm guessing he was itching and scratching a lot? What were you feeding him before the d/d?

Last edited:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
'Pulled pork cans'....?? Fromm MAY have been fine but if you were adding '<whatever that is' may have been the problem. Please tell us more about this canned addition to the Fromm.

OP
TomnZon

TomnZon

Nov 29, 2010
NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn
I'm assuming the doctor put him on this for skin problems? I'm guessing he was itching and scratching a lot? What were you feeding him before the d/d?

Kinda sorta. Our vet was on vacation so we saw a diff one bc Brooklyn had blood in his stool and he said it was a food allergy and prescribed the food. Turned out to be polyps and we never went back to that animal hospital but kept him on the food bc he was so healthy on it!!!!

The pulled pork cans are Fromm. Brooklyn won't touch dry food without canned food or cheese or something on top. We mix it with a scoop of dry food. We still have the Fromm dry food. Just don't know what to do!!!

OP
TomnZon

TomnZon

Nov 29, 2010
NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn
The prescription was Venison, duck, lamb for canned. Dry was Venison, potato and duck I believe. Def venison for dry!

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
The protein amounts in all of these prescription foods are on the low side. Hills hovers around 14 - 18% which, in my opinion, is too low for growing pups. Abby has kidney failure and is on a 17-18% protein diet.

What were you feeding him prior to seeing this new doctor?

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
ok look hills is crappy food for sure but for the purposes of your pup being ok put him back on whatever he was eating before when he was fine. when he is ok again then try another food maybe that has that protein you were using for the hills. also i would change one thing at a time otherwise you have no idea what causing the problem as you have seen this. ill be honest i dont like natural balance really. do you have some fromm left if so you can try adding that back in but keep feeding the hills canned food. if hes ok then you can either leave him alone on the hills or try something else for canned food. im assuming hes not eating that much canned food just used as a topper. i really would not leave him on the hills dry but for now the dog has to be healthy and eat. just my 2 cents

C

Cooper11

[MENTION=1546]TomnZon[/MENTION] I agree with [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] yes, here on EBN we have a list of good foods for bullies....but every bully is different and if the food is working for you then stick with that food!!! :) Just ask your vet if you have concerns about him being on prescription food all the time. I am not an expert on food so I am not sure about that one!

OP
TomnZon

TomnZon

Nov 29, 2010
NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn
The natural balance is venison though and he won't eat it and has terrible ear wax and tear stains. When he ate the Fromm he was eating his paws cuz they itched!!! Help :(

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
did you read my whole post. maybe you should reread it. you dont know if it was the fromm canned or dry that was causing the problem. and i believe i stated what i would do. :D

OP
TomnZon

TomnZon

Nov 29, 2010
NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn
Thanks. Well he eats mostly canned food, with just a little dry mixed in. We have a whole bag of Fromm still - no more hills but ican get some. I guess I'll leave out Fromm dry food so he is forced to eat just that. And see if his face an ears clear

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
Our bullie did not like Natural Balance either. I hope whatever you decide to do works out! If you ever do decide to switch again, our guy is doing well with Eartborn Holistics, but I don't see a huge change in him since the switch from Iams over a month ago.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh your feeding mostly canned food. i did not get that from your post. well i would get some more hills canned food and keep on hand because if what you try doesnt work you need to be able to feed your dog something that wont make him itch and such. you can rub some hills canned on it since you know hes ok with that. no fromm canned though. if he starts itching with the fromm then you know its a no go. might want to try something that is more limited in ingredients if the fromm doesnt work. also you want to look at whats in the hills canned. its going to be hard to duplicate the canned food as it doesnt have the filler and such that kibble does but maybe you can get close i can help you if you want. good luck

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.