Biting!!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
This is a thin line, because when she bites it's almost out of anger...she doesn't get the excited look but the "I'm going for the kill" look...sometimes I think she's evil lol.

Dogs operate on instinct - not emotion. Your puppy isn't angry - she's just being a puppy! [MENTION=4305]Vince00[/MENTION] is right: the key is consistency no matter what. When Bea was little, doing that "OW!" thing when she bit down, did not work at all. Like Spunky, it almost appears as though she enjoyed it more! (which is silly) The ignore worked best because what she wants is your full attention. Get mouthy and the fun stops, puppy!

Here's another anecdotal thing you may want to try: Bitter Apple spray. Spray it on your hands. It tastes terrible.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Okay I think Pookie was biting me because I, unintentionally, was allowing him to use me as a chew toy.

A few days ago I took him outside for some one on one training, something I had not done yet. I took about 30 minutes and taught him to sit on command. Well at first he was just trying to bite my feet, and then I reached my had down to remove him from my shoe. He bit my hand, not hard, but out of excitement.

I rolled him onto his back and put my weight on him a bit, holding him down firmly across the upper chest and neck. He growled at me for about 5 minutes before he finally gave in. Then he got up, and I taught him to sit in the next 15 minutes. Guess what? He quit biting my feet and pants!! Noe I just keep having him sit, and he does it, very proud of himself. I taught him with no treats, just a good butt rub everytime he got it right!

Needless to say I am very happy. Not sure if it was the pinning him down or teaching him the command that worked, but I think both. He had to learn I was the boss, so I believe he was doing the alpha role on me when he was biting me. But now, I win!

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
When nothing worked with Aubrey, we would tell her "NO" and pin her down until she calmed down. If she wouldn't quit and she was chewing on something besides us that was bad, we would squirt her in the butt with a water bottle. She hated that, but it worked to get her to stop.

Now that she's older she can play bite and all she does is gently gum you.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
So sorry I've been MIA!!

Spunky is 5 months and STILL BITING MY FEET/ankles/shins/anything she can grab.

What do I do?! We've tried everything! Even our trainer doesn't know what else we can try, please note this is just me and not my husband. I'm guessing she's trying to show dominance, but if anyone has been bitten continuously by a bully puppy I'm sure I'm not the only one who has been in near tears over the pain.

Help!

@GoGween

Ftse is 5 months also and exactly the same bites me and no one else, she has ripped my pj pants from biting me and has brought blood I have been very stern with him but nothing works he will go great for a week or two and then it all starts again, he tries to grab my legs, feet, hands and wrists just jumps and latches on. So sorry I acn not help you as I need help myself to stop it I have tried the water bottle and that did not work for me.
br 144.jpg

OP
Spunkysmom2012

Spunkysmom2012

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Spunky
[MENTION=4573]Ftse 100[/MENTION] first of all he is adorable!!

Spunkys teeth have been falling out lately so I'm sure biting is worse now. She will do great for about a week also, then starts all over. I've tried all the tricks in the book, and she thinks I'm playing with all of them, she also has learned to rollover on command so the pinning down doesn't work anymore because she can't tell the difference. She also loves water lol. I put corn kernels in a bottle ad had been shaking when I say no, scared her to death the first couple times and stopped, but now she gets excited and keeps coming back. I've got to hand it to her, she's VERY smart...I also make her do any trick when she starts, to break that bad concentration, that's working a little bit.

Thanks everyone for all the insight!

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh Lily wants to bite on anything and everything.
I just try to redirect her to her chew toys but it deoesn't always work.
She does seem to like my youngest son's pant legs the most. Lol

Oh Lily - please be watchful on that pant leg thing. I only had two dogs as a kid and I had to BEG for years to get them. First one got hit by a school bus. 2nd one used to chase me and my brother's pant legs. Fun game right? Pretty soon Dusty is chasing EVERYONE'S legs and he bites a gal who's family is going to sue. I come home from school one day and my dog is magically GONE; fence, dog, bowls, everything. LIke he never existed. Please don't let her chase pant legs.

This is a thin line, because when she bites it's almost out of anger...she doesn't get the excited look but the "I'm going for the kill" look...sometimes I think she's evil lol. .

Dogs operate on instinct - not emotion. She's not angry - she's not capable of that. There's something instinctual about what is happening there and I'm going to bet its just standard puppy teething. Be consistent. When she bites, get up and walk away without a word. She'll get the big fat clue eventually. I promise!

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
We tried that walking away thing with Abby too. All it did was make her stop biting my hands, arms, pants etc to attacking my shoes or socks as I'm walking. So yesterday I bought a spray bottle. Shoot her in the face? .... she thinks its a game!! She likes it! :laugh: The more I shoot, the more she bites. Last night I lost BOTH my socks (and I still can't find where she put them) :lol:

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Good afternoon all - I am new to this site and have the exact same biting issue with my 3-1/2 month old "Otis" - like other responses he'll do well for a week and then right back at it. He bites myself, my husband and son (he has no favorites) I like others used the water bottle and it was great, he hates it - but my puppy class trainer said not to because it is seen as a form of aggression to an already aggressive breed so I stopped. I really think that like humans everyone is different and I am going to start back in with the water bottle.

We have exhausted everything - swap chew toys, ignore, time out, and nothing worked except for the water bottle. Here's to hoping I can use that tool again with good results.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Good afternoon all - I am new to this site and have the exact same biting issue with my 3-1/2 month old "Otis" - like other responses he'll do well for a week and then right back at it. He bites myself, my husband and son (he has no favorites) I like others used the water bottle and it was great, he hates it - but my puppy class trainer said not to because it is seen as a form of aggression to an already aggressive breed so I stopped. I really think that like humans everyone is different and I am going to start back in with the water bottle.

We have exhausted everything - swap chew toys, ignore, time out, and nothing worked except for the water bottle. Here's to hoping I can use that tool again with good results.

Hey there and welcome! Glad you joined! The bulldog breed is not an agressive breed ...Your puppy is still young and is able to be taught new things...I have used the water bottle and it works perfect. Your little boy is going through the teething stages...Do you walk him?? A tired puppy is always a good puppy! \

You could start a new thread in the forum Beahovoir and Training to get more exposure and have others help out! There are a lot of memebers on this site with loads of advice! Welcome again and I would love to see pics of your little boy!

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
but my puppy class trainer said not to because it is seen as a form of aggression to an already aggressive breed so I stopped.

Huh? What dog trainer would think Bulldogs are aggressive? What trainer would think there's such a thing as an "aggressive breed"....its not the breed its the person/environment that made them that way :nope:

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Westchester, New York, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
Oh Lily - please be watchful on that pant leg thing. I only had two dogs as a kid and I had to BEG for years to get them. First one got hit by a school bus. 2nd one used to chase me and my brother's pant legs. Fun game right? Pretty soon Dusty is chasing EVERYONE'S legs and he bites a gal who's family is going to sue. I come home from school one day and my dog is magically GONE; fence, dog, bowls, everything. LIke he never existed. Please don't let her chase pant legs.

Oh I'm so sorry that happned.
Good point about the biting of the pant legs.
I do try and stop her when she does it. I wish she didn't bite but hopefully she will grow out of it..

OP
Spunkysmom2012

Spunkysmom2012

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Spunky
Ok!! I picked up some "natures miracle- no chew" spray...it's wonderful!! It's safe on skin, cuts, furniture, bandaids, etc. it's alcohol free so it doesn't burn the skin. EVERYTIME spunky goes for my feet I spray this on my feet and legs and she immediately is in interested, this is the first thing that's ever even phased her!!! I highly recommend it.

I got it at petsmart for $6.99

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Awesome [MENTION=4212]Spunkysmom2012[/MENTION] - Good find. I used something called "Bitter Spray" that worked pretty good too on specific furniture items they seemed to want to eat......but then they grew out of that teething thing.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.