Biting!!

Spunkysmom2012

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Spunky
So sorry I've been MIA!!

Spunky is 5 months and STILL BITING MY FEET/ankles/shins/anything she can grab.

What do I do?! We've tried everything! Even our trainer doesn't know what else we can try, please note this is just me and not my husband. I'm guessing she's trying to show dominance, but if anyone has been bitten continuously by a bully puppy I'm sure I'm not the only one who has been in near tears over the pain.

Help!

[MENTION=4194]GoGween[/MENTION]

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I hear you!!! I have my very first puppy with this behavior, I swear he is a stinker!! I think [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] 's Orion is going to have some major competition with earning her PITA of the year title.... Pookie bear is a little monster... But he is so cute I let him get away with it, it is all my fault I am sure. I cannot even walk he is in-between my legs with every step, all I can do to not fall on my behind. Like you, I am the only one he seems to want to do this too. My pant legs must taste better than everyone elses. :)

TrickDogTrainer

Aug 23, 2011
Titusville, Florida, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Riddick
I can understand your frustration. This age is the worst while he's teething! It's important to redirect him on things he is supposed to chew on, as I'm sure your trainer has told you - switch your hand out for his toy, and the usual redirections. However, I look at this as perfect training opportunities. Most times, biting is just another way of releasing excess energy for young dogs. I teach my dogs tricks or sports when they get bitey. You'll find, the more you give him to do, the less he'll be thinking about the biting stuff. And if the new games are super fun, the thought of biting on you is a distant memory. Example - If I send my Riddick to open the frig or take a ride on his skateboard, my fingers and toes are of little importance!

OP
Spunkysmom2012

Spunkysmom2012

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Spunky
[MENTION=3071]TrickDogTrainer[/MENTION] this is helpful, we have tried this but I'm willing to try this again and more consistently. People say to ignore her because she wants attention wether good or bad, but my feet and legs are always cut up!

She is very smart and loves to learn, I'm going to start this again!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Bea was a mouthy, mouthy puppy. Her obsession was anything on a stick; broom, rake, whatever. She'd attack it like she was going to kill it. Sure it was cute when she was a rolly polly infant....but what happens when she's 50 lbs of stubborn adult?, I thought. I'm happy to report that last spring's Cesar Millan "Owning the (whatever it is)" exercises with the rake/broom/shovel have "stuck". Last weekend I got out a rake and she barely gave it a look. :D The really good news is that this early lesson also extended itself to other areas; staying on the porch (because I own the stairs), leaving potentially dangerous objects alone (because they're mine), etc.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
When Frank was bitey, we would let him gnaw on our finger for a couple minutes, then direct him to something else, usually holding him and holding the chew thing at the same time. It worked pretty well and now he is older, he will still occasionally want to gnaw on our fingers, but he knows to do it gently and he only gets to for a moment, then he gets a chew toy. He still loves it though when we hold his chew bones for him as he is chewing.

I need to learn those "Owning" exercises. Frank attacks the vacuum and snow shovel.

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
I don't think its a dominance issue. I think its a "OMG IM GONN'A SOOO GET THAT" issue.

Molly does this to my wife also... not me. :cursing:

A strong/loud clap of the hands and a 'NO!!' that wakes the neighbors normally does the trick for us. My wife will let it go for a bit ("look at the cute puppy!!").. I have a no tolerance policy.

Also.. Don't play tug-of-war with her!! EVER! If you play tug your just reinforcing that 'pant-leg-tug' is OK.

It's a good thing puppy's are soooo freeking cute... because if they weren't they would never live to adulthood! :D

xskyzx

Mar 7, 2012
houston,TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Major
i believe, you should practice when to let him play with the toys and when not to . If you do that he'll stop biting stuff (wires, shoes..etc..). bc that will teach him to only bite on toys when you let him not whenever he want too. im in the process of doing this hopefully its work out...lol GL

OP
Spunkysmom2012

Spunkysmom2012

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Spunky
This is a thin line, because when she bites it's almost out of anger...she doesn't get the excited look but the "I'm going for the kill" look...sometimes I think she's evil lol.

I redirect her everytime, also have time outs or do the clap and no thing, but doesn't phase her...for me, it is NOT cute!! I'm flat out of ideas, this can't rollover to adult hood.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I thought it was a crazy idea when I saw it but... my son and I like to watch that Dogs 101 show on Animal Planet Saturday mornings. They were saying that when a puppy bites your hands you should put butter on them. It's supposed to encourage licking instead of biting.

We haven't tried it yet but I've been wanting to. I have bruises from Abby's tiny teeth :(

speechmom53

Feb 17, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubs
I think I posted something about this a while back when Tubs was younger. When he was doing this we would raise our voice (not yell) and say "no bite" in a stern voice. He would stop. He is so good now that I can sick my whole hand in his mouth and he will back it out and start licking. A funny situation that occurred recently was when we were working on "drop" when we play tug-o-war. Our trainer old us we can play tug-o-war as long as we win, so to get him to learn "drop" take a treat when he has the toy in his mouth and put it by his nose and say "drop it". The first time we did his, I guess he was shocked or surprised by the treat that he let go of his toy and practically swallowed my whole hand. He instantly pulled back and sat down because he knew he did something he shouldn't have. I thought it was funny because he was like " oh crap I almost ate mommy!" :ROFL: Just be consistent and keep at it and your little one will get the picture.

OP
Spunkysmom2012

Spunkysmom2012

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Spunky
[MENTION=1863]speechmom53[/MENTION] lol that's a great idea also, we're starting to learn that in puppy class so I hope it sticks!

Wish is luck!

jen74401

Feb 18, 2012
Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Beefy
Haha, Beefy is the same way, but he also loves to do the drive by. He'll run as fast as he can and hit your legs while your walking which then sends you flying over.

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
If it were me I would turn instantly, force to back off and submit while correcting with a shht and finger bite. Consistently is key to show that is NOT ok... Should pass very quickly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.