Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
I'm filled with anxiety about contemplating going on a vacation because I would have to board my dogs. I have never done this and it terrifies me....but I also haven't been on an actual vacation in 5 years.
There is a pet hotel near me that has excellent reviews. They offer a trial stay after the dogs have been accepted as probable guests (but I have to get them the bordella vaccine - and that makes me nervous).....
24 hour care and web cams so I can see them, they can stay together in their own suite, have their own food, are walked 3 times a day and I could even sign them up for daycare play (but that makes me nervous, too)....
I've taken the tour and it seems clean and orderly...so why am I so hesitant?
Any advice or questions I can ask this place to help put me more at ease? Both my dogs love other people and don't have separation anxiety (probably because we aren't ever separate), but they are used to a lot of attention and fastidious care (especially my bullie)....
A week is a long time and I just don't know if I can do it, am I too attached?

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
I'm filled with anxiety about contemplating going on a vacation because I would have to board my dogs. I have never done this and it terrifies me....but I also haven't been on an actual vacation in 5 years.
There is a pet hotel near me that has excellent reviews. They offer a trial stay after the dogs have been accepted as probable guests (but I have to get them the bordella vaccine - and that makes me nervous).....
24 hour care and web cams so I can see them, they can stay together in their own suite, have their own food, are walked 3 times a day and I could even sign them up for daycare play (but that makes me nervous, too)....
I've taken the tour and it seems clean and orderly...so why am I so hesitant?
Any advice or questions I can ask this place to help put me more at ease? Both my dogs love other people and don't have separation anxiety (probably because we aren't ever separate), but they are used to a lot of attention and fastidious care (especially my bullie)....
A week is a long time and I just don't know if I can do it, am I too attached?

It sounds like a great place! The anxiety is normal, but the webcam will be a great plus. There's nothing I could say to ease your mind.. Just remember that they are dogs, if yours are sociable then they will have a riot :) have they been to daycare before?

-Ask what they do in medical situations
-If they'll clean their folds and check their ears
-In daycare, do they get separated by playgroup or is it just one big room? Personally I prefer when they split them into groups by energy level
-They should know bullies can't play too hard, should always have water, etc. Pretty obvious but doesn't hurt to check!

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
The worst is the first time you leave them... Your vacation suffers because you are worried about your dogs. You are more excited to get home then you are sad your vacation is over. When you finally do get home.. you rush to the dog hotel/lodge/barn/sitter only to find your dogs don't want to leave their new friends! :cursing:

I would recommend doing a few days of day-care before you go... It will be better for you and the dogs. Think of it as paid dog dates. Its AWESOME for socialization and will get your dogs used to the hotel. You can also check the dogs out for any stress and hopefully find any misgivings you have about the 'sitters'. The more you are comfortable with who's watching your babies the more you'll enjoy your vacation.

I am the EXACT OPPOSITE! I hate having a neighbor of family member watch my dogs at home when we go on vacation. I think my dogs will be better cared for by a professional rather then the retired neighbor across the street or my deadbeat sister. I would rather pay $$$$ knowing my dogs are safe. :tongue:

Most dog hotels/lodges/towns/sitters are open play.. the good ones have cameras (like you mentioned).. You can bring your own food and blankets.. they have large/clean kenels... And all the good ones will reject any dog that is unsocial.

My dogs would rather be at the 'dog lodge' then at home... even when i am not on vacation :nope:

Last edited:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Sounds like a nice place, but I'd ask how many bullies do they keep there or have kept. Plus can they give them extra care and attention. I would also tell them to not take them outside unattended. The web cam is a nice touch also.

BrooklynStar

Feb 21, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
I'm going to be in the same boat as you soon...in November im going to Phuket, Thailand and even though my parents will be around to watch Dozer I just dont feel comfortable since their schedules can change at any given minute.

DoughnutsMom

Jul 18, 2011
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Doughnut
I love my vet, but I'm like you! I'd go nuts if I boarded! There are 2 vet techs at my vets office that I use as dog sitters. They know Doughnut and he knows them, they know what to do in case of an emergency and they are always willing to clean wrinkles, ears and tails. Also, your home won't be empty and its probably about the same cost as boarding. I pay $40 a night for one, or $50 -60 a night for 2, depending on how long I will be gone. Good luck!!!

ziviabell

May 22, 2011
Orange County, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hershie
I wish I could help you! My husband and I have not been on a vacation together for 10 yrs. because I don't want to leave my bulldog (or my previous one). We did leave for 2 nights and I called a pet sitter that my neighbor recommended. I felt so bad when we got home. I hate leaving her. It probably bothered me more than her!

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
I hear you! But take comfort knowing that this is want these people do all day every day, and they wouldn't last long if there were problems. It's also good that you have two dogs. Look at it this way, never has ending a vacation been so amazing! I love getting away, but I love even more the first night back when everyone climbs into bed and snuggles. That said, I rarely plan a vacation now that doesn't involve Lupe!

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
That pet hotel sounds great! I agree, go for a trial run just to put your mind at ease. It's always hard because you imagine the worst will happen but the webcams will be fantastic, you can check in on them anytime you want!

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
I have the same fear! Didn't have anywhere near the an Jett level I had when I had to board my other 2 terriors. Bullys do have special needs who h makes me nervous also to board him. Haven't done it yet!

OP
Saalwi

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
@Poppy @TheLost @Davidh @BrooklynStar @DoughnutsMom @ziviabell @SunDog @MamaAndi and @bubbaisapig
Thank you all for your encouragement, advice, and questions to ask

I will definately ask about this place's Bulldog experience, I understand that day care is separated into energy and size categories (and i will start with a day of daycare to test myself and my dogs), I have to get the dogs vaccinated with the bordella vaccine (never had a need to...any adverse reactions to this vaccine????), it'll be an adventure (lately I've been trying to live by the being a yes, instead of no to new challenges....so I guess were going to give it a go....)

Thanks again and I'll give an update when they have there first day of day camp (care)......:yes:

Last edited:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well you have gotten good advice already and i have had sarah vaccinated with that and she didnt have a problem. i do think some vets are doing a nasal one that it not recommended as some dogs have gotten pneumonia from it. the shot is advised. yes do a test run thats the best way to see how it will go for real. sounds like a great place and yes we all would feel that way going away for a week without our babies.

OP
Saalwi

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
Thank you [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]. I made an appointment for the vaccinations and we will be doing a shot. Then I can sign them up for a trial day of day camp..... fingers crossed.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Thank you @cowsmom. I made an appointment for the vaccinations and we will be doing a shot. Then I can sign them up for a trial day of day camp..... fingers crossed.
oh i so hope this works out for you then you can at least have some peace of mind while being gone:D

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=3952]TheLost[/MENTION] - isn't that so true? When I took mom to Costa Rica two years ago, Mable went to my sister's and had a BLAST with her cousin, Olivia the Boxer.

[MENTION=4363]BrooklynStar[/MENTION] - there's a place called Phuket, Thailand? Come on, pal. Come clean. I live in Phuket-land too sometimes.

[MENTION=3991]Saalwi[/MENTION] - I hated leaving my dog for 12 whole days too. But after you get on the plane and get going....you'll be OK. Your dogs will be too. Especially in a posh resort like setting! Play time could be just the thing to tire them out so they sleep the whole time you're gone. Time is going to FLY BY.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.