Neutering...what options to pick?

kaikousha

Jan 25, 2012
San Diego
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thor & Odin
So we're going to go ahead and get Thor fixed, since he's starting to mark, get territorial, etc.
The vet gave us a list of options for his procedure. I'm not sure on some of them how necessary they are.
There's an antibiotic shot, pre-anesthesia bloodwork (I think this is a definite but I'm not sure what it's for), IV fluids and catheter during the op.
There's also the collar and pain meds but of course we're doing those.
Can anyone give me some advice as to if all three of those are needed? If they are great but if some of it doesn't matter then /shrug...

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
I do surgery on people and those are all things we use on people so when I had Watson neutered I elected to have all that you listed. Bulldogs can be difficult to put under anesthesia because of their airway so I wanted to be safe and take all precautions. Now it wasn't cheap for me but I am glad I did it because everything turned out well. It was $370 for everything. Watson was neutered about 1 month ago.

OP
kaikousha

kaikousha

Jan 25, 2012
San Diego
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thor & Odin
I totally agree with you on being safe...I'm the overcautious type and I tend to pick every option under the sun so I wanted to ask for opinions, haha. I tend to go overboard when it comes to the dog :ashamed:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Better safe that sorry, plus has your vet done many bullies? I would ask, because they are different and require a different anesthesia.

OP
kaikousha

kaikousha

Jan 25, 2012
San Diego
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thor & Odin
It's isoflourine that's safe right?
Does anyone know what the blood work is for? I'm just curious!

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
they will check electrolytes for kidney function and blood counts and check the urine for infection. some anesthetic agents can't be used if the dog or person does not have normal kidney function.

BrooklynStar

Feb 21, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
So we're going to go ahead and get Thor fixed, since he's starting to mark, get territorial, etc.
The vet gave us a list of options for his procedure. I'm not sure on some of them how necessary they are.
There's an antibiotic shot, pre-anesthesia bloodwork (I think this is a definite but I'm not sure what it's for), IV fluids and catheter during the op.
There's also the collar and pain meds but of course we're doing those.
Can anyone give me some advice as to if all three of those are needed? If they are great but if some of it doesn't matter then /shrug...

How old is Thor just out of curiosity?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.