Operation: Transition out of the crate

slebrun

Mar 1, 2012
Frederick, MD
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston & Logie
So the four of us live in a very small row house. Winnie my 3 year old EB is 70lbs & Logie my Frenchie is just over a year old at 20lbs. Both of them have crates that are much bigger than required because we wanted them to have plenty of room. So we have two large crates taking up space in our very small little house. We crate during the days and nights. My fiancé and I have great schedules for them because he leaves around 8am in the morning and I get home from work around 3pm. So crating worked well for all of us. They willingly go in when we say bedtime and they head back to their crates after breakfast and their morning walk. They don't go in by themselves when we're home but why would they? The only fear is my older EB will miss his crate. I see that he has a lot of comfort there and may miss it. I don't think lil Logie will mind at all if his crate is gone. The only trouble I have for him is getting into the bathroom trash and destroying empty toilet paper rolls. I would of course keep the crates and put them in storage for travel but how do you guys think I should start this process of taking them away completely from them

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
I'd like to hear what everyone has to say!

I'd like to start transitioning Penny out of her crate some. I feel like she still needs it at night -- she gets would up around 9:30 & we have to "put her to bed" like a toddler every night, haha. She is snoring about 30 seconds after we put her in.

I left her out for an hour yesterday when I went to the store & she did great!

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
This is going to be one of those 'all dogs are different' answers...

My old Aussie was fine being left out while we where gone and we could trust him to wander the house at night. My younger Aussie will destroy the house if we leave her unattended.

If we let Molly (EB puppy) out of our sight for 5 minutes the Governor will probably call the National Guard for disaster relief.

I would recommend buying a small indoor dog pen or gate and start by limiting them to a small area. Over time give them more range. If they have a bed/pillow/spot to call their own they should be ok.

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
I also have and EB and a FB. My frenchie Diva who is 4 sleeps in her crate at night (when we adopted her she was having accidents), we have decided to slowly start letting her choose where she wants to sleep since she no longer has accidents in the house. She does love her crate but she would much rather sleep on the couch or on the bed with us. The previous owners of Gio had him in a crate at night but right when we got him we knew that he wasn't meant for a crate...he sleeps with me at night on the bed and he sleeps from about 10pm-11am without walking around. I would leave the doors open at night and see where Winnie chooses to sleep, a playpen might be a good idea for the first couple of days too.

kaikousha

Jan 25, 2012
San Diego
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thor & Odin
We just started leaving Thor out at night...he'll sleep all night on the couch at 6 mos. The only thing I've noticed is he wakes up earlier when he doesn't sleep in his crate... *grr*

However, if we leave the house during the day he HAS to be crated. The last time he wasn't he ate half a slipper. :nonono:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I agree with [MENTION=1648]Lucy-licious[/MENTION]! I would get them a bed and soon, they will go the their beds instead of the crate. I just hope they aren't like a couple of mine and eat their bed. :ROFL:

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
However, if we leave the house during the day he HAS to be crated. The last time he wasn't he ate half a slipper. :nonono:

I'll see your 1/2 slipper..... and raise you an ENTIRE $5k COUCH!!!

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
Bubba is not trustworthy at a little over a year old! He's fine at nights now not sleeping in his crate. I close the bedroom door and he sleeps on his bed. The other terriors sleep on my bed. When he's on my bed...no one relaxes and I'm afraid he'll fall off of the high bed. He's gotten used to it. I tried. Locking off kitchen and other living area during the day, to try to get him out of the crate. He chewed the cable line to bits! Thankfully no power there! The last week I confined him to the kitchen and put his bed in there. He's doing ok. Chewed the corners of the cabinets a tiny bit. Put hot sauce on the parts he chewed...no more chewing noted! Lol. Long winded..sorry

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
i crate trained jameson and he slept in and was crated while at work for about a year. the ex let him sleep on the bed due to his work schedule and sleeping during the day. i started leaving the crate door open and he would sleep on the chair in the living room...he still went in the crate sometimes and always when he was pouting. then i bought bed stairs and he started sleeping on my bed....love him to death but bed hog...i took the crate down but he will still go in the portable when it's out.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
sarah has never been in a crate a day in her life. but shes never torn anything up or done anything to need one. now if i had a puppy that would be different.

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Raven will be six months this week and I wish I could get rid of the crate. Hoping it happens sooner rather than later. My son is dying to let her sleep with him. Problem is she never met a blanket she didn't like to pee on. I hope she outgrows this soon. I am soooo tired of washing the huge dog bed I bought her.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Abby has a crate but the door on it has never been closed. The kitchen is gated off so she can have free roam of it and full time access to her water fountains when nobody is home. She naps in there during the day, hides her toys, our socks and other stolen items in there but at night she sleeps with me. If she has to pee she will wake me up but usually she sleeps through the night.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.