Bulldog in crate with out bedding.

tjhelms

Aug 26, 2010
Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Oakley
I have a six month old english bulldog who is basically crate trained and loves his crate. The problem that I am having is, everytime I put a bed, pad, towel or blanket in his crate for him to sleep on, as soon as I put it in the crate he urinates on it and then looks at me like "okay you can take it out now." He even does this as soon as he has been outside to use the restroom. I am getting more worried now because he now weighs 51 lbs. and with him sleeping on the crate floor he is rubbing his chest raw and walks with a limp when hes been sleeping for a while. Any ideas of how to correct this so he can be more comfortable would be greatly appreciated.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I'm not sure about the peeing but walking with a limp after sleeping in there makes me wonder if the crate is too small. After trying to sleep in a tiny area I think I'd be all stiff and maybe walk with a limp too after I got up too.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Yes, I have 3 bullies who Cannot have beds now. Was two, but then Jesse decided hers was a good snack and at over a foot long of it.

So, I don't give those 3 a bed or blanket. If the bed has already been peed on numerous times, they will smell their "mark" and think that is what they are supposed to do.

Yes, make sure the crate is long enough for them to strech out their body if needed, and they should also be able to turn around with ease.

Weberbulldogs

Jun 24, 2010
North Georgia
Bulldog(s) Names
Halo & her Baby Moose & 2 Frenchies Herschel and Margo
We had a rescue bullie that kept peeing on her bed. So we bought her a dog Cot with Vinyl so its easy to clean and good for their joints
http://kuranda.com/all-purpose-dog-beds/aluminum-dog-bed

We have now bought 3 of them they are great! :heart: We bought 2 vinyl and one cordura I like the vinyl better as the hair doesn't stick and the pee puddles up.

They are expensive but I got mine off e-bay :D

OP
tjhelms

tjhelms

Aug 26, 2010
Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Oakley
Thanks for the responses. His crate is not too small because he sprawls out diagonally in it. If he grows much more I'll end up getting him a bigger one. Everytime he pees on his bed it gets washed and I don't think he can smell it.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Neither of my boys like bedding in the crate either so they sleep on the bare floor and don't appear to be stiff when they get out. I would talk to you vet at your next appointment and have to take a look at Oakley's joints to see if he feels anything...it could be a warning sign of hip issues, particularly at his age.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Thanks for the responses. His crate is not too small because he sprawls out diagonally in it. If he grows much more I'll end up getting him a bigger one. Everytime he pees on his bed it gets washed and I don't think he can smell it.

Yes, I would definately ask your vet about the stiffness. As far as the bedding is concerned, urine smell will stay behind that you will not smell it, but dogs can. Even if washed 3x! I soak my dogs' beddings in soapy wash with a cup of bleach overnight and even then, they can still smell it.

I wanna know what soap DOES remove urine oders completely!

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
OOh... Chester loves to have a big comforter in his crate! We have an extra large crate - lots of room..and I hear him flop around and paw at it to make it just right. But if I don't have one of the old comforters in there, he won't stop flopping around because he can't get comfy.

catorres8988

Jun 3, 2010
Tyler, Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike & Sparkles
i was having the peeing problem w spike just a few weeks ago...but not in his crate on his bed... he hasn't done it anymore i have noticed than instead of the blanket or comforter he sleeps on he does it on the rug infront of the front door... and its usually just at night when we are asleep...

reallyrob

Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2010
Southern Illinois/Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
Bertie doesn't care for a bed in her crate either. I put a blanket and a bed in there and she will drag it out. The only thing she likes in her crate is her bone and the cat! She curls up and sleeps with the cat!

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
My American Bulldog couldn't have a bed in his crate when he was younger. I don't crate him anymore and there hasn't been an issue.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion

I think someone posted that a way to get the smell out (we may not be able to smell it, but they can) is to wash it with vinegar. If it even touched another dog, he may be marking it to claim it or, he may not like the fact that his smell is no longer on it and by marking it, he's reclaimed it.

Weberbulldogs

Jun 24, 2010
North Georgia
Bulldog(s) Names
Halo & her Baby Moose & 2 Frenchies Herschel and Margo
Quick note: DO NOT!! mix Vinager and Bleach it releases toxic chlorine gas :blah:

I found this online-
Cleaning Recipes
•Straight vinegar is highly acidic and produces a strong smell of its own. Dilute the vinegar to avoid damaging the carpet with the acidity. In general, 2 cups of vinegar per gallon of water is an effective cleaning solution that will not damage an area.

Rinse the area thoroughly with clean warm water after applying the vinegar wash to help remove residual vinegar in the carpet. Sprinkling baking soda around the area can also help to absorb the vinegar smell. Baking soda can sit on a carpet overnight, if necessary; vacuum the baking soda from the carpet after it has worked.
Laundry

•Urine odor can also stick to clothing. Mix ¼ cup of white vinegar or apple cider vinegar into your next load of laundry to help eliminate the smell that even powerful detergent can leave behind. However, do not use vinegar on delicate clothing, as the acidity may damage fibers.

:)We have hardwood but I use a 40/60 mix of vinager water and wipe it up with a paper towel works great be sure and spot check and area 1st so you don't ruin your floors

Read more: Will Vinegar Neutralize Pet Urine Odor? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_6318936_vinegar-neutralize-pet-urine-odor_.html#ixzz0xniakZso

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Abby has to have a bed in her crate, she is allergic to plastic and the bed is a barrier. I remember one time when we brought a new bed home. We didn't have it on the floor for 60 seconds and Abby went over and urinated on it. I really think she was marking it so the other dogs would know it was hers.

Bullylover2010

Aug 21, 2010
Lexington,nc
Bulldog(s) Names
Skye
Skye always pushes his bedding to the back of the crate.. If does have a accident he does his business then pushes the blanket over then lays on it

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.