Leash Walking

Dan75208

Aug 4, 2010
Dallas, Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Marly
Marly just turned 3 months and whenever shes on a leash she just walks with her head down and stops at every spot on the ground and breaths on it and or eats whatever it is. Has anyone ever experienced this before?

I know she has plenty of food and I feed her 3 times a day. She just started to do this about 2 days ago and I have to keep pulling on her leash. I don't want to hurt her or traumatize her from pulling so much.

ohiostatebulldogs

Jul 23, 2010
Wooster Ohio , USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Shug Knight of OSB , Santini of OSB, and Mercedes of OSB
I use a harness and while at home i put harness on and attatch leash and let puppies drag it around the house it gets them used to the leash!

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
As a pup I used a harness also, it kept both of us in better control, Vegas is now 14 months and walks extremely well on just a coller and leash, I too hate to have to tug (gently because I am afraid of hurting him) to get his attention at times, he likes to put his face straight down on the ground and sniff, this only aggrivates his facial allergies. He never has ate anything outside, .....Oh wait, as a pup he would grab a mouthful of sand!! I live in Florida and have my back yard is sand. He has not done that in months though, it was so gross!!

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I'm sorry I don't really know what advice to give. Not sure how to get her to stop but pull on the leash to lift her head up from the ground and I understand worrying about hurting her because at 3 months they are still so small. Puppies just love eating random stuff don't they!

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Gertie, Ida and my daughter's Bullie, Milly, are all three also 3 months old. Gertie walks on the collar and leash like a champ, Millie will only walk on her leash if she can hold it herself. She has to have the end of the leash in her mouth, she pretty much walks herself. We haven't tried Ida on a leash yet, since we just brought her home a couple days ago. I think I'd try the harness idea if I were you. By the way, she's really CUTE!!!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Absolutely get a harness...all three of mine started with a harness to help learn how to walk on the leash and went on to become very good walkers. It really helps the puppy learn what to do when on a lead.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.