Can Bongo get sunburnt while sunbathing?

Fbjdd

Mar 16, 2012
Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bongo
Hi everyone,

Bongo I seems love sun bathing and is normal with the breed so I'm told. Can they get sunburnt he likes to lay on his back and expose his bellie plus he is half white?
also when it comes to sunbathing is this ok for them they won't get sunstroke? Will he seek out shade if it's too hot?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Yes, they can be sun burnt and no they will not seek shade if they get too hot, they will just lay there and die. So you need to limit their exposure to the heat. I'm sure it does not get as hot up there as it does down here in Texas, so we really need to keep a close eye on our bullies here.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Living in Florida I have to be very careful with Vegas, Yes they can get sunburnt! You can use childrens sunscreen on Bongo, but for me I limit his sunbathing to less than 10 minutes. I don't trust him to seek shade. Most people that get sunstroked don't even realize themselves it is happening. Even when we go out to go potty let's say in July where it is usually over 100 degrees here, I take him out and right back in. My personal opinion and advice it to just watch Bongo and limit the exposure, they over heat way faster than humans or other dogs.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Yes, be very careful when your bully's in the heat. I live in Toronto, and there's a few weeks in the summer where they don't go outside unless the sun's not out. And even then, it's only for a quick washroom break!

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
I live in the mountains of NE Oregon and it really doesn't get too hot here. Our fenced dog area faces East so it gets the morning sun and my boys love to sunbathe then. On the rare day or 2 it actually gets hot here (85-90) they pretty much choose to stay in.

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
Wow! I didn't realize this! Bubba and the other dogs love to lay in the sun. Bubba will go under the shaded thick bush when he gets hot though. He will maybe stay in the sun (usually morning) for about 20 minutes.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Yup..like everyone has said..I even cool the car down if it's a hot day before Jake gets in for a ride..

Wise advice!

Yesterday it was an amazing sixty whole degrees here and the walk - on cement - to the dog park was kind of a long one for Bea. I'd never attempt such a thing on an August day. Ever. There's a fine line between warm and overheated and with bullies, you can never be too careful - in my opinion.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Banks LOVES being in the sun, but she also does seek out shade if too hot. We tend to watch her time in the sun and bring her in after about 15 mins.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online