Bully Sticks

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Does anyone give bully sticks to their dogs? I have heard not to give them to bulldogs due to chocking hazards, but The Dog Whisperer highly recommends them for rewards and distractions, even to his bulldogs. Today at the vets office Tank walked by a box of them and really wanted one. Just wondering yes or no.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Stay away from these if you can. They're not very good for bullies IMO. They're worse than rawhides in the mess area. I ordered deer antlers once and they sent me bully sticks. I wasn't completely sure what an antler was suppose to look like and new what I got wasn't quite right. I gave it to Wilson anyway and after about 5 minutes of him chewing it, I threw all three in the trash. Here's the pic I took.

8-5-111.jpg

8-5-112.jpg

Two thumbs down!! Just my opinion. :)

jmill79

Apr 1, 2011
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Chula
Chula loves em! She only gets it when we can watch her with it. Yeah, they're a bit messy and some are really smelly. But she has perfectly clean teeth because of them and it keeps her occupied for a bit. We get the 12" long and "thick" ones and they last her for a few days with limited chewings. Nothing "bad" about them IMO.

Fbjdd

Mar 16, 2012
Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bongo
I give Bongo and Louie them but you do have to watch them because they get them really slimy and they could swallow them. Also my boys fart alot while there chewing on them because of all the gulping and open mouth chewing. But they love them.

Sent from my iPhone using
Frank. D

GRACIE11

Feb 11, 2012
Fairbank, Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie Mae "The Diva"
I had 5 or 6 packs of them and I threw them away.....Gracie swallowed one and it came out whole with a bunch of slimy stuff so I took her to the vet again for her stools and they said not to give her anymore. No raw hide bones for her either.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Chula loves em! She only gets it when we can watch her with it. Yeah, they're a bit messy and some are really smelly. But she has perfectly clean teeth because of them and it keeps her occupied for a bit. We get the 12" long and "thick" ones and they last her for a few days with limited chewings. Nothing "bad" about them IMO.

:hiya: where you been?? Chula is beeeeutiful..by the way!

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
Before we knew what they were made of we got a pack of 20, we did let them finish the pack but never again will I order them. Not only do they smell but I was nervous the whole time they would chew them. We got them antlers and nylabones instead, much better then the smelly bullie sticks!

C

Cooper11

You are going to get mixed feeling from everyone on these and raw hide bones..... I have given the bully sticks but the ones I had were the smaller ones and they get so soft so quick they swallow them.....So I would def recommend the bigger the better.. I also give Cooper and I spoil my little sister [MENTION=4285]GRACIE11[/MENTION] (she doesn't let gracie have rawhide bines but I do :yes:) I let Both Cooper and Gracie have bones.... I make sure I watch them close and when they get to the soft and chewy part where they want to swallow them I will take them away or I will cut it with scissors and throw the soft part away.... What I have found with raw hide bones is the same as the bully sticks....the bigger the better. Not as easy to swallow and takes longer for them to chew on them and get them soft and slimy..... I recommend the deer/elk antlers also....Cooper will chew on them but they don't compare to a rawhide...he would much rather have bone than an antler....I don't give bones daily but here and there I do and they Keep Cooper busy for quite awhile...especially at the puppy age when you have to watch them close with having potty accidents...it nice to give them a big bone to keep them distracted for awhile... But like I said you will get mixed feeling about the bully sticks and rawhide bones......Cooper loves them too much for me to not give them to him.....I just think us as bully parents have to be responsible and watch them close when they have them! Also there is a N-Bone white dental chew bone.....it is not the plastic nylabone thing but a white dental bone that is digestible and good for their teeth.....Cooper and Gracie both loved them and they take awhile for them to chew and don't break off in big chunks......... I also got Cooper a big Nuckle bone the other day. They are nice cuz they are shaped weird and are heavy they really have to work at them....take a long time to get the soft and they won't try swallowing it cuz its too big! I ramble sorry!!! :blink:

OP
Corlando465

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
:barf: you know what they are..right? My vet said..No Way...No How!

Yes :) I do know what they are. They don't call them bully sticks cause they're for bulldogs LOL.

My vet actually had the larger ones for sale at his office. That's where Tanks noticed them and was drawn to them.

He has an antler and does chew on it some, but is teething and prefers his nylabones the most. I just thought the bully sticks would really give his choppers a good work out and would occupy him for awhile.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Closely supervised, Bea can handle them fine - but Bo can't - so no one gets them. It's too much of a choking hazard for Mr. Chew and Swallow Machine.

Yesterday, I'm picking up poo and I find something HOT PINK in Bo's. Further investigation revealed "Pink Kitty's" two back feet are missing. Pink Kitty is supposedly an indestructible super strong rubber chew toy. And she's been in the toy box for two years. He's good. He's reaaaaaaaaaallllyyyy good at destroying toys......

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Closely supervised, Bea can handle them fine - but Bo can't - so no one gets them. It's too much of a choking hazard for Mr. Chew and Swallow Machine.

Yesterday, I'm picking up poo and I find something HOT PINK in Bo's. Further investigation revealed "Pink Kitty's" two back feet are missing. Pink Kitty is supposedly an indestructible super strong rubber chew toy. And she's been in the toy box for two years. He's good. He's reaaaaaaaaaallllyyyy good at destroying toys......

Poor pink kitty....

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
I vote no for the bully sticks.... Even with supervision I just think "better safe than sorry"....

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.