Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving from Seattle to Arizona in 2 months - any suggestions/guidance?

Bulldog(s) Names
    Rocco
    Likes (Received)

Default Moving from Seattle to Arizona in 2 months - any suggestions/guidance?

Hi bully friends, I'm moving my Rocco from Seattle to Chandler, Arizona in 2 months. We are driving down and taking our time so the move doesn't take too much of a toll on him. Once we move there, I am wondering if anyone here has any recommendations to help him acclimate to the new climate, terrain. Of course I already know that he must not over-heat, must not be left outside at all, and make sure he gets plenty of fluids, and stays cool in doors in air conditioned climate during the hot months.

Does anyone have any experience with the other issues - scorpians, spiders, valley fever, etc. that I've heard about? Any suggestions would be great.

Also - I'm looking for a new bulldog vet in Chandler, AZ if anyone has a good recommendation. I already checked the Vet recommendation list for Arizona and there is one relatively close by in Mesa (about 20-30 minutes away). But I thought I would ask specifically in Chandler, or Gilbert which is closer.

Thanks everyone and wish us luck on this big move!
    Kristin and Rocco
    Rocco's Mom

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Moving from Seattle to Arizona in 2 months - any suggestions/guidance?

I'm not sure how close you are to Tuscon..but @desertskybulldogs lives there..and there ain't anyone more knowledgable than her! Good luck!!

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Moving from Seattle to Arizona in 2 months - any suggestions/guidance?

@sheshistory is probably close to you

The first summer is going to downright kill you. I also moved from Bremerton to Arizona (with our baby bulldog Baby) and thought I would die from the heat. I am sure it will be very similar to your bully.

The first two summers are going to seem so hot. Well, it always seems very hot but now I have no issues with going out and raking the yard in 110 weather. I was told that it takes two years for your body to fully acclimate, losing the insulation layer of fat (not really fat, but insulation fat) of your body. You have this layer when you live in climates that are cold. You will lose it completely in Arizona.

Now I have lived here for over 15 years, and anything below 70 degrees chills me to the BONE! Actually makes my back and bones hurt! lol

You will love it here, but it will be COMPLETELY different than living in WA.... you know that round ball hidden behind the clouds in Seattle? It is called the SUN. And you will see it all day, everyday, 300 days or more a year!

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

All I know about Arizona is it’s HOT! Oh and it’s brown. @sheshistory is in Phoenix she may have she may has some information for you. I see that Chandler is only 25 miles from Phoenix. Don’t forget about rattlesnakes, they have plenty of them too. I would imagine that Rocco may experience different allergies than he may have now (if he has any of course) so that’s something to watch him for.

Have a wonderful journey to your new home.
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

I see Lisa's already replied.
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
    Likes (Received)

My wife grew up in Seattle but moved away about 10 years ago... She still cry's about how much she misses it.

Having lived with somebody from Seattle for 7 years, here is my advice:

1) Don't keep telling people how much nicer things are in Seattle
    2) Enjoy the lower housing costs.
    3) It's OK to only own one sweater... even if you never need it.
    4) The world is made of many colors... NOT JUST GREEN!
    5) Learn to appreciate water.. Not everybody has it.
    6) When/if you REALLY miss it.. a 2 day mini-vay-kay stay @ 'In at the Market' normally calms my wife down.

oh.. and Rocco will be fine. Dogs are very adaptive.

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

Ahh, get ready for a rude awakening. Arizona summers are NOT fun. You and your bully will be spending all your time indoors, enjoying the cool air!

Yes, we have scorpions and spiders and other scary things but really, it's not a big deal. Use the same discretion you would anyplace else and you'll be just fine - although that first scorpion sighting is a bit upsetting. Black widows are common but they are easy to spot and get rid of and usually are not aggressive.

Valley Fever isn't anything that you can really prevent, other than trying to stay healthy and strong and make sure you stay out of dusty areas - it's becoming more and more common in humans and dogs - but since bulldogs are indoors 99% of the time here, it's not terribly common for them.

I think I know which bulldog vet you may be referring to in Mesa and I cannot recommend them at all. I took Truman there to have his hips looked at as a pup (he suffered from severe hip dyplasia) because I wanted a vet that specialized in bulldogs. They recommended I put him down and did so in a manner that was neither compassionate nor based on current information on how to treat hip dyplasia - Truman is a healthy, happy 2 year old dog.

I take the dogs to Banfield Pet Hospital in Mesa. We go to Dr. Olsen but we used to go to Dr. Keller , who is now at the Banfield in Tempe Marketplace. Both are very good with our bulldogs.

If you have any other specific questions, let me know but I moved here from Buffalo, NY and it was a HUGE change! Nothing can really prepare you!
    Last edited by sheshistory; 04-06-2012 at 05:26 PM.

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

Real Name
    Bruce
    Bulldog(s) Names
    HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
    Likes (Received)

I jealous Kristin... LOL

Bulldog(s) Names
    Rocco
    Likes (Received)

Thank you everyone for your help and recommendations! I so appreciate my extended family here on EBN! I'm excited and anxious for the big change for me and for my baby bully Rocco. I will actually be splitting my time between Seattle and AZ so I get the chance to get away from the heat - but Rocco is moving permanently. My husband will be keeping tabs on him while I'm gone. I will keep you all posted on our move and adapting to the new environment. Thanks especially to @shehistory for giving me some vet recommendations. Tempe and Mesa are still quite drivable - and if I know from a fellow bully owner that they have had a good experience than that makes it all the more comforting.
    Rocco's Mom

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Snakes, scorpions and desert? Oh my! lol. But losing a layer of fat, then it must be heaven!

G'luck! Will pray that the move goes well. I'm sure everyone will adjust fine.
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

Bulldog(s) Names
    Rocco
    Likes (Received)

Lol @TheLost. thanks so much for your advice. I will be sure to keep these tips in mind. Can't wait for the change. I am still traveling back to Seattle 50% of the time - so I will be logging a lot of miles - but its worth it!
    K
    Rocco's Mom

Bulldog(s) Names
    Rocco
    Likes (Received)

Just wanted to update all of you on our move from Seattle to AZ. We have been here 2 weeks and are doing great! The drive down was long and tiring - but I think my husband and I had a harder time with it than Rocco. He slept pretty much the whole way. We made lots of stops for water and stretching our legs and were so happy to arrive safe and sound. Rocco is settling in great so far. It is really hot here - 109 today. We have a good routine with early starts in the morning before it gets too hot. He has two pee/poo pots we created that are in the shade different times of day. Both made from articificial turf (the kind you buy at home depot). I couldn't believe how well he adapted to it. He went pee and poo right away as soon as we showed him that was where he should go. What a smart boy!!!

Anyway - we are very careful when we take him out to potty to look for spiders, scorpians and snakes (oh my!). So far so good - but we always take the black light and flash light out at night with him. We ran into a wonderful manager at Petco who is also an experienced bully owner. He gave us some great contacts for vets and a local breeder so we can come up to speed quickly on an AZ related health concerns.

The biggest issue is of course Valley Fever. I guess it isn't really near where we live - but we are very concerned since we understand it is airborne. We have heard some horror stories about other bully owners that have lost their bullies to this horrible disease.

I just read through the string on sweet Butler - and his near death situation - but it sounds like his momma is taking wonderful care of him, and the recent new meds gabapantin really helped. I'm going to be super diligent to look for any signs or symptoms.

Anyway - just wanted to give you all an update. Enjoy your weekend.
    Rocco's mom
    Rocco's Mom

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads