Traveling without your Bulldog

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
LisaRN's recent posts prompted me to think about the accommodations people provide for their bullies when they cannot take them along on vacations.

Because I do not have any family in Arizona, the first couple times I went out of town, I left Bentley at a kennel. It was a nice kennel, very expensive but I agonized leaving him, felt horrible the entire time I was away, and picked him up with a bad, bad case of the poops from stress. Never again.

After that, I put Bentley in a "Critter Camp" which took a limit of 6 dogs in a house setting - basically your dog lives with another family. Bentley got to stay in a beautiful million dollar home in Scottsdale and I felt much more at ease leaving him. He did great but did pick up a few bad habits from other dogs, including jumping!

When Linus came in the picture, I could not afford the "Critter Camp" so I begged friends or hired graduate students at the university I teach at to come babysit the boys. That has been working out very well since it keeps them in their own home AND avoids the dreaded kennel.

What does everyone else do with their bullies (and other pets) when they travel? I think finding the right solution can make the difference between an enjoyable and unbearable vacation and I am always looking for new options since I don't think I'll ever use a kennel ever again.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I try my VERY best to take them when I go. I hate leaving them behind. Samson is actually a very good boy when traveling because I have taken him so many places. When I do HAVE to leave them home I am lucky to have family and friends to help. Samson either goes to my mom's house or my next door neighbor watches them. My neighbor is a good friend of mine so I trust her and she is just right next door so it makes it really easy. I prefer to take trips where the dogs can be included, I miss them too much when I am gone!

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
My family is in Mich. and my husband is from Denver. He hates the humidity in Mich., so when I go there, I go alone and he's here with the dogs. But next month we're both going up to Denver for a week. One of our daughters is going to keep Arrow, and we're driving up, so we're taking Gertie and Ida with us. This should be interesting. He swears his parents won't mind, but I'm not so sure. We're working VERY hard to have them both house broken by then, but you know how it is with puppies... Hopefully it all goes well and we don't get kicked out of my in-laws house :eek:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
If we go away anywhere we usually have our two teenagers at home to look after them. On the occasions that we all go away together, I've paid one of my friends who I work with to come and live in my house for the time we're away!

Kikiwhoa21

Jun 16, 2010
Wonderland, Texas!
Bulldog(s) Names
Chev Chelios && Faith
Same boat as you @jillh! We have no family here in Arizona so when the hubby && I travel we always drive and take the nuggets with us! Sometimes its hard taking them when it comes to the hotel. Chelios Loves to travel && does long car rides. Not sure about Faith! She has yet to go on a trip with us! && the kitty did okay, the first few hours are rough but then she does pretty good. I fear the day when Angel && I will take a trip on a plane or something. I stress on what what will we do with the kids?? But hey Jillh if you ever need a babysitter I'm in phoenix too && wouldnt mind at all! I know how tough it can be not having family or anyone to take care of the doggies! Plus i'm sure they'd all love to play together! :)

ohiostatebulldogs

Jul 23, 2010
Wooster Ohio , USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Shug Knight of OSB , Santini of OSB, and Mercedes of OSB
Due to the fact i have 3 human children and a total of 5 dogs.....I cant travel do to lack of funds!!! but not complaining i feel very satisfied in life!!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Due to the fact i have 3 human children and a total of 5 dogs.....I cant travel do to lack of funds!!! but not complaining i feel very satisfied in life!!!

I hear ya! When you decide to take on this # of dogs, vacations are no more.

We USED to travel in our RV when we did travel, and only had two dogs at the time, so they always came with us everywhere.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
We spend most of our vacations camping. We have a RV, so we go to campgrounds that allow dogs. If for any reason we travel and we can't take them, we have options of 1.Kids stay home 2. single friends house and dog sit We prefer 2 since we know the adult friends can be more responsible than teenagers. We have a very hard time leaving the dogs behind, I end up missing them after a couple days.

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
Chester of course went to my in-laws.. he's too young and can't be trusted out of his crate without a human in the house (as evidenced by my recently chewed rocker!). Milo, our 8 year old Shih Tzu can be trusted alone, we gate off the kitchen and keep everything in there for him, including his crate. Between my mom..my MIL..and my neighbor..they are over about 4 times a day to check on him and walk him. He was living the high life while Chester was gone I am sure..and when we picked Chester back up and brought him home..I'm sure he was thinking.. "darn, I thought they got rid of that monster". ;) Last time we put him in a kennel it he got diarrhea and it cost me $500 in vet bills when I got home!

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Same boat as you @jillh! We have no family here in Arizona so when the hubby && I travel we always drive and take the nuggets with us! Sometimes its hard taking them when it comes to the hotel. Chelios Loves to travel && does long car rides. Not sure about Faith! She has yet to go on a trip with us! && the kitty did okay, the first few hours are rough but then she does pretty good. I fear the day when Angel && I will take a trip on a plane or something. I stress on what what will we do with the kids?? But hey Jillh if you ever need a babysitter I'm in phoenix too && wouldnt mind at all! I know how tough it can be not having family or anyone to take care of the doggies! Plus i'm sure they'd all love to play together! :)

I would seriously love to have a network in place in the Phoenix or Arizona area for bully owners to have someone/some place to leave their doggies while on vacation!

Weberbulldogs

Jun 24, 2010
North Georgia
Bulldog(s) Names
Halo & her Baby Moose & 2 Frenchies Herschel and Margo
We have only been on vacation twice so far the 1st time my brother watched them the 2nd time my mom took care of them, both times at our house but with my mom watching them she also brought her dogs which I think was too much, Halo got a rash from getting into her dogs food and I was Stressed both times! Next time if there is a next time I think I will try my best to travel with them or atleast a few of them to make life easier on my pet sitter :)

catorres8988

Jun 3, 2010
Tyler, Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike & Sparkles
i know the feeling i just recently took a week long vacation but my husband stayed home with spike...it was very hard to say goodbye i cried like a baby...after a few days they had a hard time getting spike to eat...but as soon as we saw each other he was super happy...when me and my husband take weekend trips or whatever we usually have family watch spike for us at our house so it works out perfect.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Whenever we go away we have a close friend come and housesit for us. I only have maybe 2 people to choose from who actually know and love the dogs enough to trust, sadly. Luckily they both would be willing almost at the drop of a hat so that makes me feel good. I do pay also not that they expect any money but I feel it is much better and safer than any doggy hotel so if we can afford to pay why not?

F

Fizzpops

Nobody in my family will let Fizz in their houses! :( So when we go visiting them up in Scotland, Fizz gets to go on her own hols at the kennels just down the road. She doesn't seem to mind it too much, when we phone up to check on how she's doing, she always seems to be fine on her walks with the other dogs and eats her dinner fine (not much puts that girl off her dinners...) . Obviously we'd rather take her with us though.. luckily Matt's family are a lot less uptight than my side of the family, so she gets to come in with us! :bully:
Only thing is, she does come back with "kennel smell" on her coat, so when we pick her up, after the initial hysterical reunions, it's straight to the bath for her - this she does NOT like! Lucky it's not very often, bless her ginger bum. :heart:

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Nobody in my family will let Fizz in their houses! :( So when we go visiting them up in Scotland, Fizz gets to go on her own hols at the kennels just down the road. She doesn't seem to mind it too much, when we phone up to check on how she's doing, she always seems to be fine on her walks with the other dogs and eats her dinner fine (not much puts that girl off her dinners...) . Obviously we'd rather take her with us though.. luckily Matt's family are a lot less uptight than my side of the family, so she gets to come in with us! :bully:
Only thing is, she does come back with "kennel smell" on her coat, so when we pick her up, after the initial hysterical reunions, it's straight to the bath for her - this she does NOT like! Lucky it's not very often, bless her ginger bum. :heart:

Your in England? Well maybe I might just have to volunteer to house/dog sit for you. LOL

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.