What happen to Gunny

Sargesmom

Mar 7, 2012
Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Boy, Sarge and Splat (Lou Lou)
tom wanted me to tell yall what happen this morning...gunny got up off the which was normail...then he started to act like he had to throw up and nothing would come out so why tom was with gunny I was call the emergency hospital for animals so they told us to bring him in so as we are trying to get a blanket under him he was still trying to throw up and nothing again...the third time he tried he just layed right down and past away......he bloated....here is what the vet that we started taking him to which is 200 miles from us said, ' Joey Gerding
I was so shocked and sad to find out the news. I'm sure Tom is devastated. I'm so so sorry - no words can do justice for the emotions that come about from losing such a beloved pet. I know Gunny was such an important part of your family.

It definitely sounds like from what you are describing, that he bloated. His stomach likely filled with air and twisted on itself. At least it sounds like things went pretty quick and that he didn't suffer. This is something that you could not have prevented, nor predicted would happen...so you guys should not feel guilty about anything. Please let me know if there is anything at all that I can do. I will miss seeing him.

he is a site that tells about bloat just put www. first earlysvilleanimalhospital.com/site/view/122391_preventingbloatindogs.pml

C

Cooper11

:) i know tagging sites is a no no but I didn't think you all would mind if they tagged this one.
http://www.earlysvilleanimalhospital.com/site/view/122391_preventingbloatindogs.pml

There is a lot of things in that article I never knew! I reposted it because the one Connie put up there was the google search and it didn;t link it. If this is a problem with having this site mentioned in here, I am sure Connie and Tom won't take it to heart if you have to delete it. They are just in shock and want every one to now how all of the sudden and serious bloat is!

Last edited:

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I am so sorry for the loss that you and Tom have suffered. It doesn't make sense that one minute they are fine and the next they are gone. The only explanation that I can find is that God needed another angel. Gunny's spirit will be with you forever and in time, with his help, you will be ok. You gave him an incredible life and he closed his eyes knowing that he was loved. There is no greater gift than that.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
My gawd.:( that is a great article and actually shocking as I didn't realize the chance of bloat goes up with age. I am beyond saddened by gunny's Passing and can only hope your loss can be a lesson for us all. Hugs. :*(

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I read this post at 2 in the morning and couldn't sleep all night. My heart hurts for you. This was a very interesting article and very brave of you to share it. I thought I knew about bloat..but I was just amazed at the info here. Thanks again for helping all of us. :hug:

Last edited:

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Thanks for sharing this artclle! I am soooo sad about the passing of Gunny!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Going to go read the article. I cannot express enough how sorry I, we all, for the loss of Gunny. I’m glad Tom was there with him though and Gunny wasn’t alone. :(

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
I am so sorry for your loss...please know that I will say a prayer for your family in this time of sorrow.....Gunny will be missed

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Thanks for the info on bloat and I am so sorry for the loss of your beautiful Gunny, he will be truly missed by all who knew him.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Thank you so much for posting the information on bloat. My 1st Bulldog, Sherman got bloat when he was 9+ yrs. old. He was being treated for a heart condition with a diauretic and digitalis and was not considered a candidate for surgery. It was heartbreaking, but we had him put down. Losing these guys is so tough, but it is better than never having them at all. I am so sorry for your loss of Gunny.

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
I am so sorry again for your loss. Bloat is a scary thing. I had an incident with Mr. D last week where he hunched over, was shaking, couldn't get up and ended up laying down, and his legs were all bowed out. I researched bloat later and saw this could be a sign as well. I know of 2 other people who lost their dogs to bloat and it was so sudden. :( (A collie and a mixed breed) I am lucky whatever it was with Mr. D., it did not end up deadly. As your vet said, it happens so fast, there's nothing you could have done. As others have said, it looks like heaven was in need of another angel. My best to you and your husband.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I am so sorry to hear of Gunny's passing, my heart is with you and your family at this sad time. 008.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
I am so sorry for your loss. Losing fur family is extremely tough. My thoughts are with you all during this hard time.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.