pet relocation worries

frank

Mar 19, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
frank
I am thinking of moving back to the UK from China and am currently looking into what has to be done to get frank home with me, there is lots of red tape and its pretty pricey but my biggest concern is how frank will cope with a 12 hour flight in cargo.
Flying into the UK your pet has to fly cargo, has anyone had to go through this procedure before? How was your dog after? Also I have to quarentine frank in hong kong for 1 month, has anyone any experience with having to quarentine your bulldog, am nervous about how she will be after and not been able to see her for 1 month :(
Thanks any advice would be great, relocating is stressful enough and this making it so much worse.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I'm sorry but I have no experience going THAT way .... when we moved to USA from UK we brought our two dogs and a cat with us. However, neither of the dogs were bulldogs and so we didn't have to worry about the breathing problems that you have with a bully.

I would be very nervous about sending her by cargo too. Why the quarantine in Hong Kong??

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Hey Brutus sister had to travel 6 hrs to Portgual due to her family relocating. I begged to let her stay with me and even offered to pay what they spent on her so far! They took her anyway..Well long story short she over 25lbs so she did fly cargo! Im concerned about the quarantine why that has to be done! They usualy onlly do that when the animal travelling doesnt have health certificate, vaccines things llike that! I would question why for 1 mnth they are doing that! I wouldnt trust it without some answers and maybe still then!

Last edited:

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
I think the biggest danger is the layovers.... The cargo area of the planes are temp controlled just as the cabin however, the cargo holding area while waiting for the next flight may not be, and you can expect the crate to spend some time on the flight line prior loading... I found a site awhile back that listed all the pet death incidents associated with airlines, and almost all of them involved flights with connections. So the time of the year and expected temps have a very large.
role in the risks.

He should be OK with the 12 hours as long as he has access to water and the temps are good.

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=4535]frank[/MENTION]

They did get a special cage for flying with cooling fan / temp control is a problem b/c you never know what its like! They waited until November to help! Its tough b/c with their breathing problems and long flights layovers and such! Hope all goes well! SOrry about the dobulle post I wasnt paying attention and didnt type correctly LOL

Also the guineiea pig water bottle would be good to get him used to before the fllight so he knows how to get water out if he needs! Make him comfy with the crate he will be in! And let me know about the quaratine with HOng Kong

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
My only experience via hearsay is that Ruggles' dad suffocated while being transported in the cargo space of an airplane. Luggage, etc. was packed in so tightly around his crate he couldn't get air.

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
My only experience via hearsay is that Ruggles' dad suffocated while being transported in the cargo space of an airplane. Luggage, etc. was packed in so tightly around his crate he couldn't get air.

Oh that is so sad! Its very dangerous for them!

OP
frank

frank

Mar 19, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
frank
Hi,Its a 12 hour direct flight, am really worried about it.The UK is quite strict about bringing animals in, it used to be a 6 month quarentine rule in England, thankfully that has changed.China is not on the list of 'safe' countries to import pets from but Hong Kong is so Frank would have to go there first. She already had her rabies vaccinations but will have to have one again from a government approved vet, she also still needs her micro chip, the quarentine in hong kong is to take of this and avoid any quarentine in the UK. Im not as worried about the kennel in Hong Kong as I am about the flight, have also read quite a few horror stories but dont really have another option.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Oh man, I would be so freaked out I wouldn't be able to manage it via regular commercial airline means. So many horror stories. There are airlines now that will not fly EBs and other like-schnoozed breeds.

If I were considering such a trip, I'd look into the booming industry of Pet Movers. They manage the entire move in luxury and comfort. There's no other way I'd be able to do it without losing my mind.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
pet movers? Never heard of... I have to say this is a tough spot for you to be in. The whole thought of all of it makes me anxious but I do not even like dropping my pups off at the vet let alone for a month with strangers. I have no help for you but good luck. I hope it all works out well for you and the pup. Tough situation to be in I think.

OP
frank

frank

Mar 19, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
frank
Thanks for the thoughts, im looking into all options at the minute. Have looked at pet movers but thats singapore based, am looking into a few more companies operating out of shanghai and hong kong.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
There has to be one. Pet Movers (as a company - not an industry) is just one of many. Planes that fly from the US to Hong Kong or Shanghai have to fly BACK to the U.S.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.