Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Ftse has developed Cherry Eye, has anyone had this with their pets? if so what option did you take for the surgery to remove the gland completely or to try and save the gland.
I really am a bit confused on what way to go, I am sort of thinking if you remove the gland then the Cherry eye will not return but is this the right way. can anyone advice which way is the best from experience. photo.jpg:bully:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
If it's removed there is a chance that he gets a dry eye and any way you have to put some eye drops in his eye daily. My Usko has had his sherry out a couple of times when he's played rough, but it always went away by it seft when he calmed down. If Ftse's sherry is like that I would suggest waiting. Usko's sherry hasn't been out in about 6 months. Ftse can grow out of the problem aswell. If it comes out often, doesn't go away or gets irritated I suggest surgery, but the saving kind.

BrooklynStar

Feb 21, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Dozer's cherry eye came out and it hasnt gone back in since. It bleeds a little bit each day, he will be getting surgery to stitch the gland back in tomorrow. I dont want them to remove it because then he might need eye drops for the rest of his life.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Had miilas eye tacked down. Not removed. Removal is more old school and kinda a last resort. They prefer to track the cherry eye in place but the downside to that is, sometimes it takes a 2nd surgery to hold it in place. Miila had hers done when she got spayed some 5 months ago or so and it has popped out 2 times randomly but other than that has been perfect. It is a cosmetic surgery so unless your baby has an infection or something you have plenty of time to think about it. My biggest recommendation is make sure you have a good bully vet to do the surgery.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I got no cherry eye experience but his little nose rope looks pink. I'm sure you're keeping it dry and clean! It's easy to get food or something stuck in there sometimes....

OP
Ftse 100

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Yeah he's nose was pink at the time he had actually had a hydrobath and when he came home I noticed it was a bit pink and swollen all been treated and all is well now, probably was not the best picture to put up I will have to change it.
We are going to speak to the vet again today, the breeder ecommends have the tuck which is the way we will go as we really do not want cause problems down the track with dry eye, Just hope all goes well and it nice to hear everyone thinks this way, as we only want the right thing to do.
Thanks all.:bully:

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
If you remove the gland, you are also removing over 30% of their tear producing capability, and will more than likely have to apply eye drops for the rest of his life... but there is no chance of the cherry eye returning.

I chose to tack with Moe... the Dr said she had over 85% success rate of the cherry not returning, and Moe's is still holding. He had dry eye while his cherry was present, but his tear production came back to 100% after the surgery. You can also repeat the tack surgery if it does not hold.

C

Cooper11

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/content.php?r=398-Cherry-eye-what-is-it-and-how-to-treat-it

This article is very helpful!!!

Gracie had cherry eye and it would come out here and there. I massaged it back in like 3 times maybe. And massage her eye when she didn't have it to because that helped. Gracie Cherry eye hasn't came back in months. So there is a way without surgery to try. Doesn't work will all but is worth trying. There is a video in this article that shows how to rub it back in! Good Luck. Cherry eye looks worse and painful than it really is!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online