How to find a reputable breeder in my area?

mendomama

Aug 28, 2011
Mendocino, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Uni & Boadie
Hey friends, So I have started on my quest to find a puppy for my little Uni. She will be getting fixed this week so after she recovers I would like to get a little brother or step brother, I suppose, for her to play with. I have been looking online mostly for puppies, because we live in a rather rural part of northern CA. I know no one is suppose to recommend specific breeders, But how am I supposed to sift through all of the breeders I find in California to fine the puppy for our family? :detective:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Anyone who might be able to assist with recommendations can send you a PM. :yes:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Contact your local breed club [MENTION=3104]mendomama[/MENTION]. Usually, their newsletter is going to be posted online and folks playing a key, supporting role in a local club are going to know "what's happening" in their area. I always suggest going to a few local dog shows and talk to people. I have kind of a sixth sense that I rely on, but really need a face to face conversation with an individual. Your local breed "Meet Up" group could also be a resource for information; mine has been for a couple folks.
You'll want to see both of the parents, if possible. (Where sperm has been shipped that's not always possible) I know others will have far better advice than mine.

Good luck in your search! It's exciting, isn't it?

I googled "finding a reputable dog breeder" and got 67,000 results in .24 seconds. Wow. There is some great information out there; particularly on puppy mills and "online" dog brokers. I wish more people would take that information to heart. :cry:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I only know Cuttys breeder down here in so. ca. BUT I found her thru the bulldog club of americas breeders listing. That is where I highly recommend anyone starting. Everyone I talked to in my search back in the day was so nice and helpful. Not everyone on the list I had actually bred any longer but they all knew of somebody. Good luck on your search. How fun!

OP
mendomama

mendomama

Aug 28, 2011
Mendocino, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Uni & Boadie
I have been looking a lot! I did start with the BCA breeders referrals. But it looks like most of the breeders with websites don't have any puppies. So far I have been in contact with two different people for older dogs, we are looking for a puppy though. We have two older cats that don't love dogs, but they have managed with Uni. So we figure it would be better for every body if the new dog is a puppy but we have not completely ruled out an young dog, and I happened to find on online that is awesome looking but the owner is getting rid of him because he is moving. To me this is not an acceptable reason to get rig of a pet. So it raises some red flags to me but we are in the middle of lots of emails. We may set some time this weekend to go meet them. Ans so far the only response I have gotten from any of the BCA breeders is one lady who has a two year old, this is a little older than we want. Man! I did not know how lucky we were to find Uni locally, I trust it so much more when I can see the dogs and people face to face.

Also JAKEISGREAT did give me a pm with breeder in So Cal, emailed them too!

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
the person that replied that they were rehoming due to a move.... a lot of people have had to give up their pets due to loss of home (economy) and are going into apartments which 90% of the time, do not allow pets.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I don't live in your area ... and really can't give you more than the great advice you've already been given. I do hope you find your new bully ... but please glance through the rescue websites too as you search. Who knows ... your next bully might be there!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online