My Bully Bit Me!

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
You got good advice from others, so not much to add other than we always made sure to touch Frank's paws from the get-go, even when not clipping, to get him used to it. We clipped at first and it took two of us and lots of treats but now I have a Dremmel and it is so nice. I just turned it on to get Frank used to the sound and gradually eased him into it. He still gets lots of treats and I have the best luck when he is really sleepy....so he isn't so squiggly. On the home page, there is a good article on nail clipping care. Good luck! Also, if your bullie has a favorite chew toy, maybe give that to her to chew on to help distract her.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
That is how I do almost all my bullies nails, that is also how I did Emmas. Sitting on my back with their back against my chest. Mandy takes two people but I did not raise her from a puppy....

Excellent advice @JeannieCO !
That must be why Emma likes it that way. I first tried to do her across my lap but she just wouldn't hold still. So when I held her like that it just worked. :up: She doesn't even mind the dremel now.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I have only one biter out of the four. She is getting better though. I'm kinda scared to try the dremel on them because of the sound.
Just do it. They, well most, will get used to the sound. For all my guys/gal I put is on low speed as the sound was not as loud just to get them used to it. Make quick swipes as it'll get hot pretty fast if left in one spot for more than a 2/3 seconds. None of mine mind the dremel now. It's also great for a quit trim if needed.

Wilson was so relaxed last weekend when it was dremel time, his eyes were closed. :up:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
That must be why Emma likes it that way. I first tried to do her across my lap but she just wouldn't hold still. So when I held her like that it just worked. :up: She doesn't even mind the dremel now.

I must admit it looks quite funny when I am holding a 45 lb bully and doing it. When they are babies it is easy with a pair of baby clippers to hold them that way, doing it about once a week cuz their nails grow so fast! This is also how I do the skin kids nails too so that is probably why it works so well for me.

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
I posted a thread about our nail trimming problems a few weeks ago.. My wife actually found a solution that works for us.

The trick was to find something Molly went 'ga-ga' for that we normally don't give her. For this we use a cheese stick! I hold the cheese stick in my fist so only a small portion sticks out. Molly tries to shove her noise/mouth/teeth/tongue into my hand to try and get to the cheese. She gets soooo distracted by trying to get to the cheese she doesn't even notice my wife cutting her nails.

1/4th of a cheese stick is normally all it takes to do all 4 feet.

This won't work if your bully is allergic to cheese... but you should be able to find something that your bully will go nutso-crazy for.

.. Or spend the $20 and let somebody else deal with it :)

C

Cooper11

I have only one biter out of the four. She is getting better though. I'm kinda scared to try the dremel on them because of the sound.
LOL I was thinking the same thing. My mom and I looked them up online last night and I said Cooper would :poo: himself he would be so scared of it. He is scared of everything!!! I actually don't have much trouble cutting either Cooper or Gracie's nails. Sometimes it just takes 2 people to hold and me to cut!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.