My Bully Bit Me!

LeslieLain

Sep 12, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Marcy May
My Bully is biting me when I try to clip her nails.

I have clipped them, the vet tech has trimmed them.

They have been tripped when short and long.

Nobody has ever hit the quick so there have been no bad experiences.

I know she may never like it but imagine an immovable, stubborn, Biting, room mate that has to have this done.

Any tips? I am going to have to almost sit on her and do something that she is going to be upset with me about and she is already having other problems.

Please post anything no matter how small that you have done/heard of that may help Marcy and myself.

P.S. She is not drawing blood.

Leslie

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
Lola does this to me also. I take her to the groomers to get hers done..Its not worth the hassle. Mojo I tackle him on his side and lay on him..then trim..lol

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
HRH is excellent when it comes to this sort of thing.

However, I'd suggest watching the groomers and then try to do what they do if you want to do it yourself. I also recommend using a dremel tool. much quicker, safer and smoother results.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Dont have much advice to give as I usually let the vet clip them for me! They are 10 mins away so its easier to drive there then to fight Brutus! :) Good Luck and Im sure others will have advice for you!

EmmittPylate

Feb 17, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Emmitt does this to me too but we use a dremel so we can get it done a lot quicker. It's easy and quick!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
distract her with treats. I worked at a doggie daycare with a groomer and she did that for dogs that she knew were nervous or may be scared.

C

Cooper11

I Don't have really any tips either. Coop is the same way.... I actually they think it is a game cuz he does it when I brush him too. He tries biting my hand or biting the brush out of my hand. I just laugh and say stop it but he ignores me. When I cut Gracie's nail I have to have my mom hold her and they I do the cutting! That would be my only advice!!! Other than that...you might just have to bare with it! :) Or try clipping maybe when she is sleeping.....I know we get told that with our skin babies maybe the same with our bullies....Wouldn't hurt to try. :)

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Hello Leslie! :welcome: to EBN! For the biting, I'm sure you already know biting is a :nonono:. Be sure to let her know that this is not allowed. You can say, No Bite, No, etc., whatever cue word you use is fine, just keep it the same. Here's my experiences and suggestions.

I had two different approaches with Wilson and Emma. I got Wilson when he was 8 weeks and immediately started doing his nails (I have done all our dogs nails for the last several years). Wilson hated it and would growl and try to nip. I sit on the floor and lay Wilson across my lap and do his back feet first. I also lift his legs up a bit so he relaxes them and then I pet him on the rump. I'm always talking softly to him too. For his fronts I turn him over and he's lay on his back between my legs. He doesn't do this willingly. I calmly make him stay and if he fights me I just hold him a bit tighter between my legs. He hates to be held so he really hates this. But I must always win. Eventually he relaxes and I proceed with the nail trim. I also keep a very calm voice. When he got bigger, I sat on a stair step so his legs would dangle (this worked for me with him). Now he lays calmly across my lap for both back and front legs. It took me months to get Wilson to really not mind it. Last weekend he was so relaxed he nearly fell asleep. I also use a dremel after I clip.

Now for Emma, heck she's easy. She will sit in my lap with her back to me and let me do her nails. Sure she tries to bite at the clippers and my hand so I position my hands so her head can't really get to me. She also lets me dremel her nails. I also use treat (her kibble) for her. I give her a kibble and while she's occupied eating it, I proceed with one nail. She takes quite a bit longer than Wilson because she's in nail training.

Here's a very good article too: http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...06-Nail-Clipping-Dremel-What-you-need-to-know

Now with my non-bully Jack, I have to do him while he's standing up. I actually straddle him facing his rear and work on the back nails. For his front nails, I face his face, bend down and put my body between him and his front leg and I bend his foot inward toward his chest. I do this because I don't want to get accident bit (they are dogs after all).

So I guess here's what I suggest.

1. Be very patient. If she's fidgeting, then move on to a different nail or position.
2. Practice massaging her feet and in between her toes (this get them used to being handled). The article talks about this.
2. If she's struggling, be persistent but in a calming voice.
3. Maybe try a different position!
3. Use kibble as a treat.

But most important, don't give up! It just takes time for some.

Sure hope this helps.

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hello Leslie! :welcome: to EBN! For the biting, I'm sure you already know biting is a :nonono:. Be sure to let her know that this is not allowed. You can say, No Bite, No, etc., whatever cue word you use is fine, just keep it the same. Here's my experiences and suggestions.

I had two different approaches with Wilson and Emma. I got Wilson when he was 8 weeks and immediately started doing his nails (I have done all our dogs nails for the last several years). Wilson hated it and would growl and try to nip. I sit on the floor and lay Wilson across my lap and do his back feet first. I also lift his legs up a bit so he relaxes them and then I pet him on the rump. I'm always talking softly to him too. For his fronts I turn him over and he's lay on his back between my legs. He doesn't do this willingly. I calmly make him stay and if he fights me I just hold him a bit tighter between my legs. He hates to be held so he really hates this. But I must always win. Eventually he relaxes and I proceed with the nail trim. I also keep a very calm voice. When he got bigger, I sat on a stair step so his legs would dangle (this worked for me with him). Now he lays calmly across my lap for both back and front legs. It took me months to get Wilson to really not mind it. Last weekend he was so relaxed he nearly fell asleep. I also use a dremel after I clip.

Now for Emma, heck she's easy. She will sit in my lap with her back to me and let me do her nails. Sure she tries to bite at the clippers and my hand so I position my hands so her head can't really get to me. She also lets me dremel her nails. I also use treat (her kibble) for her. I give her a kibble and while she's occupied eating it, I proceed with one nail. She takes quite a bit longer than Wilson because she's in nail training.

Here's a very good article too: http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...06-Nail-Clipping-Dremel-What-you-need-to-know

Now with my non-bully Jack, I have to do him while he's standing up. I actually straddle him facing his rear and work on the back nails. For his front nails, I face his face, bend down and put my body between him and his front leg and I bend his foot inward toward his chest. I do this because I don't want to get accident bit (they are dogs after all).

So I guess here's what I suggest.

1. Be very patient. If she's fidgeting, then move on to a different nail or position.
2. Practice massaging her feet and in between her toes (this get them used to being handled). The article talks about this.
2. If she's struggling, be persistent but in a calming voice.
3. Maybe try a different position!
3. Use kibble as a treat.

But most important, don't give up! It just takes time for some.

Sure hope this helps.

That is how I do almost all my bullies nails, that is also how I did Emmas. Sitting on my back with their back against my chest. Mandy takes two people but I did not raise her from a puppy....

Excellent advice [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] !

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I meant sitting on my lap not my back! Darn autocorrect!!!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
We go to the beauty shop. It takes two of them to get it done. Bo is the worst about it. I'd pay WHATEVER THEY WANTED to do this. It's that big of a nightmare for me.

I'm sure they're tortured about it when they're there...I mean, they ADORE the attention -- because one of the groomers has their head and they're scratching and cooing at them; tails are going a mile a minute -- while the other one does the actual clippin'. Last time, Bo actually HOWLED. I was standing ten feet away; no blood, no quick, no anything. Scared the dickens out of the nail lady for a second. ha ha ha

Bulldoggie371

Mar 11, 2012
Willis, MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Ciara, Boz, Echo & Aries
I have only one biter out of the four. She is getting better though. I'm kinda scared to try the dremel on them because of the sound.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.