Itchy butt???? :(

TomnZon

Nov 29, 2010
NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn
Hey has anyone's baby ever had an itchy tush?! The past 3 days or so my dog has been sitting and twirling in a 360 to scratch his butt and he's doing it so rough (on the carpet) that it starts bleeding! Not gushing blood... But it actually leaves a swirl/circle of light red on the carpet! He isn't crying or acting different but something is def itching him. Obviously i will bring him to the vet if it persists throughout the weekend. Any experience with this issue anyone? And don't scare me please! Lol. Tom googled it and read to give him Benadryl? What could it be?????

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Banks does this constantly..... she has yeast issues so I keep white potato out of her diet. Also, are you cleaning under the tail (tail pocket)? Use unscented baby wipes (daily) and witch hazel on a cotton pad (once or twice a week). Something we noticed with Banks is the hair on her tail, who knows why, will get matted so we now clean her entire tail with wipes/witch hazel

OP
TomnZon

TomnZon

Nov 29, 2010
NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn
Yes once a day I clean his tail with a baby wipe! I get under the pocket real good too!!!!!!! :( it could be yeast making him itch?

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
Oliver does this every morning right after he wakes up and before he goes outside to potty or eats breakfast! He doesn't bleed though and occassionally during the day,he will spin and itch! He only spins for about a minute, then he's good to go!! He doesn't have a tail pocket and doesn't have issues with his anal glands, so maybe he's just getting his glands prepped and ready for when he goes poo, I have no clue why my silly dog does this. I hope you find out why your puppy is itching to the point of bleeding though!!! Good luck

OP
TomnZon

TomnZon

Nov 29, 2010
NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn
Thank you :( I feel so bad for him!

C

Cooper11

Could be the tail pocket or could even be anal glands????? How Old is he and has he ever had his anal glands done???? Dogs tend to scoot their but like that rubbing on the carpet when they need their anal glands done...
[MENTION=1546]TomnZon[/MENTION]

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I would of suggested the tail pocket too, but if you are allready cleaning it then it can't be that. Except that too much cleaning can result to no good as well. Young dogs don't usually have issues with anal glands, so in my opinion a trip to vet is needed. It can be food allergy, parasites or something, but he needs to be tested.

OP
TomnZon

TomnZon

Nov 29, 2010
NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn
We def don't over clean the tail! Once a day max- a quick wipe and clearing of the tail pocket. He's never had his anal glands released or whatever its called! He's almost 17 months old and was just at the vet last Monday for a full checkup and shots!! He's on hypoallergenic food (prescription) so I'm not sure abt a food allergy :( poor guy Ifeel So bad it must be so uncomfortable all day :(

C

Cooper11

I would of suggested the tail pocket too, but if you are allready cleaning it then it can't be that. Except that too much cleaning can result to no good as well. Young dogs don't usually have issues with anal glands, so in my opinion a trip to vet is needed. It can be food allergy, parasites or something, but he needs to be tested.

Gracie needed her anal glands done at around 5 or 6 months and Cooper is 7 months and he needed his done about a month ago..... I now do them every time I give them baths.... I had to do my shih tzu also but he didn't need his done until he was 10 years old.....Yes it tend to be more in the older dogs but I would not rule out the anal glands....Gracie was scooting and cocking her head back and sniffing and I posted on here and everyone suggested anal glands....took her to the vet to get spade and they check her anal glands and they did need done......just did them last night myself when I bathed her.....[MENTION=1546]TomnZon[/MENTION] does your pup have solid :poo: ?????

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I think it sounds exactly like what Vegas does, and his is only anal glands, he has to have them expressed about every 5 weeks. Not a big deal (well it is for him) and not real expensive (around $10) the vet tech can actually do them, he does not have to see the actual vet and pay a vet visit.

OP
TomnZon

TomnZon

Nov 29, 2010
NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn
Ahhhhh you did it YOURSELF????? Omg! Ok I'll bring him to the vet next week hopefully they can take him on short notice!!!

C

Cooper11

We def don't over clean the tail! Once a day max- a quick wipe and clearing of the tail pocket. He's never had his anal glands released or whatever its called! He's almost 17 months old and was just at the vet last Monday for a full checkup and shots!! He's on hypoallergenic food (prescription) so I'm not sure abt a food allergy :( poor guy Ifeel So bad it must be so uncomfortable all day :(

At 17 months then it is a good possibilty it could be anal glands..... analg glands is not something your vet would check on a routine....So I would mention it to your vet. I agree with [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] sounds like anal glands! :)

C

Cooper11

Ahhhhh you did it YOURSELF????? Omg! Ok I'll bring him to the vet next week hopefully they can take him on short notice!!!

LOL Yes i do most of everything myself......Anal glands is not my fave thing to do. When i use to do my shih tzu I would bout throw up. But the bullies aren't as strong smelling yet and i do it when I bath them so there is water in the tub and when that nasty stuff hits the water i think it takes the smell with it! :) It really isn't that hard or gross to do yourself. But many have their vets do it! Last night was the first time i had done gracies. I have had all male dogs and i had tried to do hers when everyone suggested thats what her issue was but I couldn't get anything out. So when I gave her a bath last night I tried to do her and I couldn't get any and my mom was like well then why is she sliding her butt again. I was kinda clueless but then tried again.... Then I got it....I guess on the females is is a little different than the males....at least our bullies are lol. For Gracie I had to have a wider squeeze and Coop his is right around his bum hole! :barf: I know this is so gross...... But hey ya gotta do what ya gotta do! lol :blink:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Yes was going to say maybe needs anal glands need expressed. But miila has allergies and doors that little scoot for no apparent reason. I Just figure it is allergies. The season is getting to her for sure.if an allergy could be food or seasonal.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Usko is that age too and has been emptying his glands maybe for about 4 months. His poo was always soft before we started feeding him raw at 7 months. After that the poos been solid and most of the times the glands empty when he has to strain to do his business. The problem with emptying the glands for them is that there is a chance you will have to do it your self or let the vet do it for the rest of his life. The good thing about that is that you know when the glands get emptied, cause the other time Usko has emptied his glands is next to me relaxing on the floor....you know when it happens:bad:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.