Itchy butt???? :(

rainyruth

Feb 8, 2012
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Nigel and Talulah
Maybe try drying all up under and around his Tail and using some Gold Bond powder and see of that helps :)

ollieivy

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver and Ivy Claire
are you using alcohol-free and scent-free wipes?

OP
TomnZon

TomnZon

Nov 29, 2010
NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn
I am. It's in his butt that's really red that he's trying to get. Bringing him to vet tomorrow I'll post what it is when I find out!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I am. It's in his butt that's really red that he's trying to get. Bringing him to vet tomorrow I'll post what it is when I find out!

Please let us know what you found out. It will help someone else.

My Mable used to "break dance" like that. She had no tail pocket to clean but the area under the tail where tail meets butt used to get dry and itchy. Constant break dancing - like you've described - made it raw and bleed once. Once I figured out the problem, I cleaned the entire UNDER TAIL daily with a baby wipe and put an anti-itch cream under there, right in the crack, and rubbed in real good. She used to love the "tail spa" treatment. Solved.

JAMESnJACLYN

Feb 18, 2012
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda(RIP), Dozer
Just for the record, Tilda was allergic to the prescription hypoallergenic food. So just because that's is what the vet recommended doesn't mean that it couldn't be the cause. Hopefully you figure it out. We have had no luck with Tilda who does the same thing but she is prone to bacterial infection due to allergies and it does occaisionally affect her tail pocket.

We have seen big improvements after trying a bunch of foods eventually settling on Fromm's Grain Free Beef Fritatta

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Just for the record, Tilda was allergic to the prescription hypoallergenic food. So just because that's is what the vet recommended doesn't mean that it couldn't be the cause. Hopefully you figure it out. We have had no luck with Tilda who does the same thing but she is prone to bacterial infection due to allergies and it does occaisionally affect her tail pocket.

We have seen big improvements after trying a bunch of foods eventually settling on Fromm's Grain Free Beef Fritatta

great point... we had a similar issue with Banks -- the potato in the limited diet food was adding to her yeast issues. We went to raw and her coliatis developed and now we are also on the Fromm beef Frittata -- great results.

OP
TomnZon

TomnZon

Nov 29, 2010
NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn
Thanks guys! Problem solved! It was the anal glands or sacs whatever you wanna call em! He checked his tail pocket first (it's sooo deep!) and it was fine. Next step was to go up the butt and he said they were super full. Now Brooklyn is all better :) we are switching him to Fromm beef frittata very soon :) hopefully he does well with it! Again, thanks for all your advice and caring hearts!!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks guys! Problem solved! It was the anal glands or sacs whatever you wanna call em! He checked his tail pocket first (it's sooo deep!) and it was fine. Next step was to go up the butt and he said they were super full. Now Brooklyn is all better :) we are switching him to Fromm beef frittata very soon :) hopefully he does well with it! Again, thanks for all your advice and caring hearts!!!!

So happy to hear it was something simple! Give him big bully hugs form us!

C

Cooper11

YAY!!!!! :cheers: to Brooklyn's bum feeling better! Those darn anal glands!!!! :cursing: Well at least you know now, when he is rubbing his butt on the carpet that means he needs them done again!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.